All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
My 75 year old Mother thanks you all
      #15290 - 07/28/03 07:03 PM
timmy

Reged: 06/28/03

Hi Guys,Thanks for the help last time,My mother has not had a attack for a whole month now,She Quit eating peanut butter and bananas .She was taking just one teaspoon a day of Citrucel and So after reading your wonderful information I doubled it to one heaping teaspoon twice a day,before breakfast and before supper,I am happy to report she went from one BM every 3 or 4 days to 2 to 5 bm 's every couple of days.She is branching out slowly trying different foods now also. She has been eating a lot of watermelon only after a full meal of soluble fiber first. She now wants to try Promise margarine,and she also wants to put barbecue sauce on her chicken breast,Do you think these two things are safe for her ? " Promise and barbecue sauce " She hasn't gained any weight but she hasn't lost any more either.She has been eating egg yolk free noodles with cream of mushroom soup on it,and lots of French bread and eggbeaters,and oatmeal and cream of wheat ,potatoes and yams and tuna fish sandwiches and fat free mayonnaise,Now we are thinking about a safe soup for her to eat ,any ideas.My mother said to thank you very much and she thinks you are all wonderful people for helping people you don't even know .She is also praying for you all.She has never even looked at a computer screen.When I had no one to turn to,I found this web site and You saved my poor 75 year old mother from suffering horribly.You are all very wonderful people,And I really appreciate all that you have done for us.
Thank You.
Timmy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My 75 year old Mother thanks you all new
      #15292 - 07/28/03 07:47 PM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

You are most welcome! That's wonderful news.

I think she would be ok with BBQ sauce (I am anyway) but I don't know about the margarine as I don't know the brand name.

I lost a lot of weight when I was diagnosed as well. I lost almost 30lbs and am down to 118.5 lbs. A little lower than I should be but I am leveling off.

I'll keep praying for her as well.

Safe soups? Check out chicken noodle, just watch the fat content. I eat a lot of tomato soup made with water. I also have checked out the Chunky Soups. I am lactose intolerant so I have to watch out for that but there are a lot of good soups out there with a low fat content.

Hope this helps. And give her a big hug for me!

In Christ,
Corinne

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

#15293 - 07/28/03 08:02 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

That is really awesome and you are so welcome.
Sounds like you are doing the right things. I don't know anything about promise margine, but there have been previous posts about I Can't Believe It's Not Butter being okay. Personally I enjoy apple butter on my toast.
As for the soup I look to make sure there is no MSG in it, which can be a trigger for many people. You can go buy fat free chicken broth and add water, your favorite veggies and favorite seasonings. Homemade are always my favorite, but not always quick.
Hope things continue to go well!

#15318 - 07/29/03 02:06 AM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

Just wanted to let you know that you must be very special for doing all that you can for your mom. She is so lucky to have someone who will take the time to help her get well. If your mom can eat cream of mushroom safely, then she might be able to eat some other cream soups. I assume she is not lactose intolerant, so you best bet would be to look for low fat soups (?Healthy Choice) that she enjoys. Sounds like extra calories is not a worry, so maybe give a few a try and she how she does. I have no lactose problems and use Country Crock (I think that's the name) with no probs. There are new studies out though that link the trans fatty acids in those type of spreads to other illnesses. Good old butter might be safest if she can tolerate it ok.

Good luck and good health to your mom!

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

#15372 - 07/29/03 09:42 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi, this is wonderful! Thanks so much for the update.

Barbecue sauce should be fine - read the ingredients and try to avoid brands that have high fructose corn syrup and/or a lot of fat.

Promise margarine is a fat, and like all fats is a GI tract stimulant. So she'll have to eat this very carefully - tiny amounts with a soluble fiber base. If you can get to a health food store you can find some non-hydrogenated soy or rice margarines that are heart-healthy. Or she could use jam/jelly on toast, or drizzle a little bit of olive oil or flax oil on rice, veggies, etc. instead of the margarine.

For soups, health food stores are again the best. They'll have a wide range, especially the brand Imagine, packed in aseptic boxes. They're very low fat and dairy free, even the "creamy" ones. I'd be very careful with the real cream soups - dairy and fats are huge triggers.

Give your mom a hug from us!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 455 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 667

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review