All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What to eat during an attack?
      #152843 - 02/22/05 10:37 AM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

So I'm kinda in the middle of a C attack right now (though I'm pretty sure I know what caused it..). What can I eat? I know SF is a necessity, so I've had some flour tortillas and pasta, but what else? Can I drink soy milk (chocolate, to be specific)? Applesauce? Dried papaya? Etc.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What to eat during an attack? new
      #152851 - 02/22/05 10:46 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Hi Avidan,
I'm not sure about the soy milk but I know applesauce is a good SF. I also find that when I'm having an attack, I absolutely have to have some insoluble fiber. I try to work it in right after a SF Base. For example I'll have a bowl of white rice & then some cooked snap peas. If that doesn't help, I'll try one (just one) dried apricot. Also make sure you're drinking plenty of water & exercising.
Hope you feel better soon.
Meryl

-bump- Re: What to eat during an attack? -nt- new
      #152961 - 02/22/05 04:02 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

#153041 - 02/22/05 10:27 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Avidan

I rarely get C attacks, mostly D, but when I'm going through an attack I usually cut down to only soluble fiber foods (applesauce, bread, bagels, rice cakes, rice, peeled potatoes etc.), peppermint tea and acacia for a few hours/days, until I'm feeling better. I think if you're feeling like sh*t then this is probably a good idea until you're feeilng a little better, but since you're C don't do that too long as you need some IF in your diet.

I think you have to go with whatever doesn't make you feel sick for the first little while, then start reintroducing more foods. If soy milk doesn't make you feel sick or more C right now, it's probably ok; if it does, then leave it.

Again, I'm coming from a D perspective here and I don't have much experience with C, so I'm not quite sure I'm giving the best advice. Sorry I can't be more helpful

#153220 - 02/23/05 11:24 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I'd try to focus on getting a bit of insoluble fiber at every meal. The hard part is finding out how much is enough, and how much is too much. You're probably safest going for cooked fruits or veggies. (There was a recipe in a recent IBS newsletter for a breakfast rice pudding with mango - that would be a nice safe choice. I loved it when I made it with frozen peaches...)

The key things for me in a C attack are drinking lots of liquids (peppermint tea in particular) and getting as much exercise as you're comfortable with. For me at least, a nice brisk walk will help with cramping and get me closer to ending a C attack.

--AC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 727 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 696

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review