All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
lean beef, new fashioned pork, ham with <1g fat?
      #15133 - 07/28/03 12:13 AM
Robbie

Reged: 07/03/03

Has anyone tried lean beef and new fashioned pork?
They are said to be significantly lower in fat than normal beef and pork.
I also found some processed ham that had less than 1g of fat per slice at the supermarket.
are these foods safe to eat?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: lean beef, new fashioned pork, ham with <1g fat? new
      #15146 - 07/28/03 03:26 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Even though they are lower fat, the animal proteins in red meat & pork are harder to digest, so they are still triggers.

Sorry....sucks, doesn't it?

#16414 - 08/05/03 09:04 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Today I went to Subway planning to be "bad" and order a sandwich with bologna on it because, believe it or not, I had a craving for bologna...and I discovered when I got to Subway that their Cold Cut Trio sandwich contains *turkey* bologna, *turkey* ham, and *turkey* salami! (Not in Canada, sorry, folks!--in Canada it's still pork.) I'm sure it's still high in fat, but it's not red meat, so if you skip the whole wheat bread, cheese, mayo (or bring the sandwich home and add super low-fat mayo), and any trigger vegies, you've got at least one choice besides plain ol' turkey breast. Yay!

#16464 - 08/06/03 11:01 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Robbie - I can tell from your posts you're a red meat guy and trying desperately to find some way to keep eating these foods. Bad news is beef, pork, lamb, etc. are just inherently IBS triggers and best avoided.

Good news is, as TessLouise pointed out, there are turkey hams and turkey sausages available. Read the ingredients to make sure things are low fat, and see if you can get organic versions without preservatives and tons of artificial ingredients (which can set off IBS). Check a health food market and see what you can find.

You might also try the original Boca burgers instead of a hamburger - they taste so much like beef I can't even eat them (I've always hated beef). But they're totally IBS safe.

Hang in there - get yourself stabilized without the meat, and then gradually try some of the turkey or soy alternatives, and you should be really happily surprised by the results.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1575 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 664

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review