All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Gluten Intolerant
      #14938 - 07/25/03 02:16 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Was wondering if anyone else is gluten intolerant.

I continually find out about foods that I thought were gluten free, but they aren't! This is part of why I get attacks, I think. I just found out that Rice Dream is not gluten free, so I need to make a switch there.

Anyone else have this challenge to deal with?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gluten Intolerant--ATTN RUCHIE!!! new
      #14974 - 07/25/03 05:55 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

One of the best people to help you would be Ruchie. She's been trying to figure this out for awhile now for herself and should have lots of great advice for ya.

Good luck!

Re: Gluten Intolerant new
      #15054 - 07/27/03 06:45 AM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi Judithg,
I have a problem with gluten as well. I am going to make an appointment with my doc to get tested for that and other food allergies. I didn't know that Rice Dream has gluten in it. No wonder it causes(lower intestinal gas).
You'd think having IBS was enough without adding gluten intollerance and other food allergies to the mix.
Good luck and let me know what things help you.
Cloudygirl

#15055 - 07/27/03 06:49 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!

I was gluten free for a while trying to figure out if I have celiac.

It's tough dealing with IBS AND CELIAC at the same time.

Hidden gluten creeps up everywhere so you have to be careful!

Were you tested for celiac? How do you know you shouldn't be eating gluten?

Also, how did you fin out rice dream has gluten--I wonder if that's why it gave me problems...

Have you tried almond milk? I don't thin it has gluten in it.

You should also check out celiac.com and delphiforums.com These are terrific webcites for gluten intolerance...and they have great up-to-date news on stuff (like Rice Dream having gluten in it...I think I read that on one their webcites now that I think about it!)

Please keep posting and we'll help you get a meal plan that works for you!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

P.S. new
      #15056 - 07/27/03 06:50 AM
Snow for Sarala

I also can't have anything with corn, egg, or dairy (even casein) in it. And no cucumbers! Do you have any other foods you are intolerant to besides gluten containing items?

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: P.S. new
      #15060 - 07/27/03 07:02 AM
cloudygirl

Hi Ruchie,
I have a ton of foods that cause me trouble. Tomatoes, onions, basically all fruit and veggies. I love popcorn, but it's a big no no for me.
Yesterday I bought a loaf of white rice bread by Ener-g. I just ate a slice and it's preety good. No dairy,egg, or gluten. Yeah!
I can't tollerate nuts of any kind, even ground because all these veggies,fruits and nuts cause my worst and most difficult sympton to get rid of (flatulence, bloating). It's so uncomfortable and embarresing.
Cloudygirl

#15061 - 07/27/03 07:10 AM
Snow for Sarala

WOW! Are you gluten intolerant too? What do you eat on a daily basis? I give you a LOT of credit for eating what you're supposed to (I know...giving up pop corn is the WORST!) I'd love to hear about your diet...maybe you could help me out?

Happy Sunday!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15090 - 07/27/03 04:14 PM
Judithg

Hi! I was tested for celiac a few years ago AFTER food allergy tests showed gluten intolerance (among other things). I had the celiac blood test and the endoscopy; both were negative. However, my GI has come to believe over time that many people are "latent celiacs" and don't necessarily show up on the current tests. So he encouraged me to be even more careful.

There are other brands of rice milk that are gluten-free. Pacific is labeled as gluten-free. I just got some to try.

I may also have a problem with soy and with eggs. It's hard to tell. Food allergies and sensitivities are pretty hard to figure out sometime. I have fibromyalgia, and it's likely that the IBS and gluten intolerance are related to the fibromyalgia.

I have checked out the websites you mentioned, and they are helpful. There's also a good forum at www.glutino.com, and Glutino sells some interesting looking products I want to try--rice breads, pizza crusts, and sandwich buns.

I think one of the reasons my IBS flared recently is that I wasn't getting enough soluble fiber, since I can't eat bread products. So I was eating mostly fruits and veggies without the fiber "cushion."

Now I just wish I could get used to the fiber; it's really painful at the moment. In fact, my IBS has gotten worse, at least temporarily, due to the change in diet and addition of fiber supplements.

Oops! Sorry this is long. Thanks for listening!

Judith

#15105 - 07/27/03 05:21 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Try white rice to help you stabilize. It's really soothing, and will get you used to soluble fiber as well.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#15118 - 07/27/03 08:05 PM
Snow for Sarala

I hear ya! It's so frustrating and confusing! Heather had a great idea...try plain rice...or a baked potato if you can tolerate them.

There's a magazine called Eating Without if you can find it. They sell it at Whole Foods. I think it comes out once a month or every two months. It's a GREAT mag for gluten/wheat free folks

Which fiber supplement are you taking? Are you on benefiber? Make sure your supplement is GF (citrucel, for example, is not). Do you know what cross contamination is? Watch out for that! (If you don't know what is, I'd be happy to explain!)

I'm gonna try to come up with some ideas for you...if I don't get back to you in a couple of days, PLEASE remind me!

I hope you get this new adjustment working out for you in no time

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15247 - 07/28/03 03:01 PM
Judithg

Thanks for all the info. I actually subscribe to Living Without, and it really is helpful. There's another one called Gluten Free Living I was thinking of getting as well.

I was taking Citrucel daily for 2 weeks and having big problems. I had NO idea it was not GF. How did you find that out? Another one of those hidden glutens. No wonder it was killing me! I was only taking 1 tsp twice a day, but the stomach pain was so awful!

I started to take Benefiber for a few days--low,low dosage--but I was such a mess after my Citrucel experience that I decided to go without supplements for a few days, watch my diet, eat rice, drink a lot of peppermint tea, and see how it goes. I have found that if I get something with hidden gluten in it and eat it for awhile, it takes awhile to work it out of my system. Once I feel a little better, I'll try fiber supplements again.

The good news is I actually do feel somewhat better today--YAY!

Is Benefiber definitely GF?

Thanks for the help! If you have more ideas, pass them on when you have time. BTW, did you have the celiac test?

Judithg

Thanks, Heather! White rice is my favorite food! - NT new
      #15248 - 07/28/03 03:03 PM
Judithg

#15260 - 07/28/03 04:44 PM
Snow for Sarala

Benefiber is just guar gum...no gluten there! It's even on a gluten free list of meds/supplemetns I got from celiac.com. (I think there was also a list of what isn't gluten free...hence the citrucel).

The prob is ingredients change all the time...so something might be GF today and not tom...and vise versa! Hang in there, and read your labels!

*big hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15866 - 07/31/03 09:26 PM
cloudygirl

Hi Ruchie,

I went to see my Doc. today and he decided to send me to a gastro doc. (I think it's been 3 or 4 years since I first saw a GI doc, who didn't help.) I'm hopeful this time.
My regular Doc said the GI Doc would be able to help me out with the food problem.
I'll take what ever tests are necessary. I have already had a sigmoidoscopy done a few years back.
My hope is that the GI doc can help me treat my(flatulence and bloating.)
Thank you for the support. You too Mags.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6122 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1640

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review