All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Does anyone know if IBS is worsened by hormones from breastfeeding?
      #148288 - 02/09/05 03:14 PM
snlmarycatherine

Reged: 02/09/05

Has anyone ever heard about this possibility? My IBS has been so much worse since my baby was born (9 mo. ago), and I've been eating pretty well, avoiding trigger foods, etc. I know IBS can be worse at that "time of the month"- sorry guys! And I wonder if nursing is making my symptoms worse...
THanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does anyone know if IBS is worsened by hormones from breastfeeding? new
      #148306 - 02/09/05 03:43 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Not likely. It's probably not the nursing that's causing the problem. I would bet on the fact that your body is in upheaval after the birth. I had this problem with both children and know of several others on the board that their IBS worsened after birth. I would attribute it to that. It's so important to keep nursing if you can. I would wait it out. You should feel better soon.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#148379 - 02/09/05 08:23 PM
Beaner

Reged: 01/10/05
Loc: Medicine Hat, AB, Canada

I have been trying to get pregnant for a couple of months now and trying to eat healthy for pregnancy and IBS at the same time. How did you manage to do this to prevent tummy problems but get enough nutrients for pregnancy?

I would sure appreciate any health you can offer me as I am finding it very difficult to find a balance.

Thanks!

#148445 - 02/10/05 05:05 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Are you taking a soluble fiber supplement? This will help immensely and will not interfere with the baby. It's safe to take during pregnancy. Do the best you can. My Doctor said I was worrying about nutrition for nothing. The first trimester - the baby's needs are so small that they're sure to get what they need. My Doc recommended a prenatal vitamin and to stop worrying. The prenatal vitamin will cover any shortfalls your diet make. By the way, you should already be taking prenatal vitamins if you're trying. The folic acid is critical.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#148480 - 02/10/05 06:53 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I agree that your body is in an upheaval with delivery and hormones. I had my son a year ago and my IBS flared up horribly about 4months after having him. I didn't know at the time that was what I had. I would say to stick to the diet and definatley take SFS. Acacia works really well for me.

#151457 - 02/17/05 08:13 PM
snlmarycatherine

Reged: 02/09/05

Thanks to all who replied. Beaner, good luck eating for pregnancy. I found pregnancy tended to constipate me and I could eat whatever I wanted (after the nausea wore off at 16 wks). I didn't have to worry about trigger foods! But everyone is different. Make sure and take a prenatal vitamin to get your folic acid. Warning- there is extra iron in prenatal which can constipate some. I'm sure baby will be fine with what you eat if you are trying your best. You should see how my sister in law eats and all her kids are so healthy! Good luck getting pregnant.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1865 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 668

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review