All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Apples vs Applesauce
      #14786 - 07/24/03 10:15 AM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

Ok, what's the difference between apples and applesauce? Why is one on the list of insoluble and the other soluble?
If I take the skin off can I have an apple as a snack? What if I have a fiber supplement with it? In general can a fiber supplement replace having crackers, bread etc.?

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Apples vs Applesauce new
      #14795 - 07/24/03 11:11 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Yep, it's the skin. That's insoluble fiber, the interior is mostly soluble. Cooking any fruit and vegetable breaks down insoluble fiber and makes it more tolerable - that's why applesauce is so safe.

A whole raw apple - peeled - should be safe, especially if you have a soluble fiber supplement first. And yes, the supplements can replace snacks in terms of keeping your gut filled with soluble fiber. But they don't have calories, so they won't replace snacks in terms of getting you energy and nutrition.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#14906 - 07/25/03 10:47 AM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

So, Heather, since we do need to get insoluble fiber as well, is it okay to have an apple if you eat soluble fiber first? I feel like I'm kinda slow getting the hang of this, so be patient with me!

#14918 - 07/25/03 12:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - Yes, you can have an apple with the peel on it if you're careful. Have a soluble fiber base first, and try this with a small apple or half an apple first. Chew the pieces really well. Normally, it's easier to dice or puree up insoluble fiber but that's a bit tough with an apple you want to eat out of hand. Or, try peeling half the apple and leave half unpeeled.

In general, cooking, diceing, pureeing insoluble fiber makes it much safer. And combining it with a soluble fiber base is key. If you follow those general guidelines you should be able to incorporate plenty of insoluble fiber foods without triggering attacks, especially once you've got yourself stabilized. If you're in the midst of attacks, back off the insoluble fiber until you're on firm ground again, then gradually increase it once more.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Apples vs Applesauce and Mayo? new
      #15003 - 07/26/03 08:32 AM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

Ok, so for example, instead of having rice, pasta,potato etc. with my meal could I take 2 fiber pills (4gr sol.) and then have chicken and fruit or whatever? I guess my question is, can supplements replace the needed sol fiber? Will thtey still provide for teh same digestion? I ask this because I use to never eat breads etc. ( I know I am hated for saying this) but since I have started I have gained more weight and I would like to find a way to become more lean like I was before when eating protein and fruits/veggies as my source of carbs.

Also, in one of your books you list some good substitutes and one of them is no fat mayo. I'm confused b/c that is dairy and contains whole eggs (I'm sure minimal). What's the deal?

Thanks for all of your help. This board has saved my life!

Re: Apples vs Applesauce and Mayo? new
      #15008 - 07/26/03 11:56 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - The supplements are really an addition to the soluble fiber foods. There are actually a lot nutritional elements (not to mention the complex carbs) from the grains, cereals, potatoes, etc. that are the common high soluble fiber foods. The supplements are a great shorthand way to keep yourself stable when you can't get the foods, or when you need extra help.

How do you do with brown rice and oatmeal? These are the most tolerable whole grains for IBS (not for everyone, just most folks). They're low glycemic index foods and very, very nutritious. You could use the supplements to replace some of the soluble fiber foods, and then have the foods to make up the difference. It's not a good idea to have meals of just chicken and fruit or just fish and vegetables - you need some soluble fiber foods in there. This is also going to help keep your blood sugar levels steady, and slow the absorption of fats and carbs into your blood stream, both of which are important for weight control.

Do a search on the recipe board for fat free mayo ingredients - TessLouise posted a bunch of ingredient lists. Real mayo is made from egg yolks and olive oil - the ff version isn't (which is why it's fat free) and it's usually very IBS safe. There are some vegan soy alternatives (like Nayonnaise) that are completely egg/dairy free and are a good choice if you're intolerant to small amounts of lactose, casein, etc. But those tend to be full fat, so be careful. You might try both and see how you do.

Also, do a general board search on weight loss, weight gain, carbs, etc. You'll find lots of great past posts about this and suggestions from folks. Portion control and exercise tend to be key, especially if you're now able to eat more because you're not getting sick from food. Sometimes that makes it easy for people to enjoy food (and thus overdo it) too much...

Best,
H

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2139 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 722

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review