All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Celevac! Thank you for this! new
      #1647 - 02/28/03 10:36 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Methylcellulose is what Citrucel is made out of, but Citrucel isn't available in the UK. Thanks so much for this alternative!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Supplements new
      #1697 - 03/01/03 10:48 AM
Moon

Reged: 02/02/03

I am curious can you buy pectin for a fiber supplement and will it work as well as the other ones? I am confused by all the fiber supplements. Which ones are highly recommended without the unpleasant side effects?

#1702 - 03/01/03 01:00 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - Pectin is a great soluble fiber, and it should work well. I haven't seen it sold as a fiber supplement but it might well be out there.

In general, all of the soluble fibers work really well and shouldn't have any side effects, especially if you start with a lower dosage, drink lots of water, and increase the dosage gradually. The one exception to this is psyllium, a soluble fiber that causes bloating and gas for a lot of people. It seems to be the only one, though.

Do try to get a plain, unflavored, unsweetened (and no artificial sweeteners), uncolored, no citric acid, variety of supplement. Often people can react to these filler ingredients and it then puts them off the soluble fiber supplements altogether, when the fiber itself is not the problem.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#1703 - 03/01/03 01:53 PM
sona

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: UK

Hello
I bought Celevac today (thanks Susaloh!) and they look just how you describe. I was really excited when my Chemist had them in however I'm getting confused about the different types of cellulose. Celevac contains 500mg of Methylcellulose, is that different to other intolerant cellulose? There is also a small amount of saccharin sodium, is that ok? Sorry for all the questions, the other listed items are:- lactose, povidone, erythrosine, purified talc, magnesium stearate and strawberry flavour.

After a week-end of being house-bound I spent the afternoon shopping in our town centre and travelled in the lift/elevator. My symptons can get so bad I can get anxious about riding in a lift as I dread to think what could happen if it broke down!

Hope you are all having an enjoyable week-end....

Ps - Sharon, a 'dicky tum' is an UK expression for an upset stomach, or a 'bellyache'. Your description was pretty good!

methylcellulose vs. cellulose new
      #1704 - 03/01/03 02:03 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - So glad you found the supplement. Methylcellulose is pure soluble fiber - but cellulose in insoluble.

The saccharin isn't a great thing to have for IBS, but in the small quantities in those pills it's probably okay. It's best to be cautious with all artificial sweeteners, but sorbitol tends to be by far the worst.

Best,
Heather

--------------------

Re: methylcellulose vs. cellulose new
      #1809 - 03/02/03 09:33 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

i read in "Herbs for Health" magazine that pectin is a good supplement to use when doing a cleansing diet, because it

"...is especially helpful in removing environmental toxins and radioactive substances from the body.... Pectin can also be purchased as a powder, which is then mixed as a tablespoon dose in water. The powder will gel up in the body, drawing to it toxic chemicals because of its strong ionic (electrically charged) nature..." [Herbs for Health, March/April 2003, "Fasting: A Time-Honored Approach to Health", p. 35. website: www.discoverherbs.com]

has anyone else heard this about pectin? is this true of other soluable fiber supplements as well, or just pectin?

So, apparently it is sold SOMEWHERE as a powder to mix with water... no brands were mentioned in the article, however.

Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2835 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5940

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review