Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What to eat on an empty stomach?
      #146979 - 02/05/05 12:06 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

Hi everyone,
I've had IBS(D) for many a year now, but just found this website about a month ago. What a hope inspiring place! Here's my first, of probably many, question to you all.

Twice a week during my lunch break I go to an aerobics class, and since I don't want to eat too soon before working out,afterwards I'm STARVING. I've noticed that even eating "safe" things like spaghetti with tomatoe sauce afterwards causes and attack. Last time I tried eating a luna bar about 45 min before class and then taking a fibercon pill as soon as I got back and before eating. This helped some, but not entirely.

So what have you all found to be the best thing/way to eat when you're forced to have an empty stomach?

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Don't new
      #146983 - 02/05/05 12:43 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

How about taking the SFS before the class and then a small amount of SF straight afterwards. If in doubt, always go for just SF and herbal tea.

Re: What to eat on an empty stomach? new
      #147013 - 02/05/05 03:51 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

After exercise my metabolism is way too fast to eat! Have you tried a small soluable fiber sandwich an hour before? On french bread, containing something you know you can handle? Otherwise you might try chomping down on some saltines and taking an Imodium (if you're a D) to slow down your tummy after your class!

I limit any impact exercise because of just this reason-- I do yoga instead because all the jostling of areobics throws me into a D attack if I eat afterwards! But I like my exercise better this way anyway.

~nelly~

#147091 - 02/05/05 10:02 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there! Welcome to the boards

Could it be the tomato sauce? If the tomato sauce has a lot of oil it oculd be upsetting your tummy...

I loved everyone's suggestions for you...so I don't have much else to add! Good luck and let us know how things go!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#147115 - 02/06/05 01:28 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I work out immediately after work.. if I can't get a luna bar in shortly before work ends (far enough before the workout) I try to at least get a slice of bread or some crackers into me... I find I can generally workout with that still in my tummy- I racewalk or bike most often though- haven't tried aerobics other then water aerobics in years... and then eat after my workout - again something easy on the tummy first... or even take an SFS then if I didn't get any snack earlier... take part of my evening dose then instead of at night.. and definitely- I always drink a big thing of mint/fennel tea before a workout and water while working out! as I get to longer distances I'm going to try eating luna bars while on a bike, but thats different.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5032 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 633

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review