All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Granola Bars
      #14696 - 07/23/03 01:57 PM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Are store bought granola bars safe? I seem to be able to get away with some of them. I watch for the fat and make sure there is no milk in them. I buy the hard crunchy ones. The apple crisp flavour seems to be ok. I'm still not sure if I can tolerate nuts so I avoid those ones as well. Can anyone help me? I'm still not consistently symptom free so either I need more sleep or I'm missing a trigger.

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Granola Bars new
      #14698 - 07/23/03 02:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Granola bars can have too much fat, but the more likely trigger here is insoluble fiber. They can have LOT, and eating them as a snack on an empty stomach can really cause problems. Try rice cakes instead.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#14708 - 07/23/03 04:02 PM
Corinne

What should I watch out for? The ones I buy have: rolled oats, sugar, vegetable oil (canola), crisp rice (rice flour, soy protein, sugar, malt, salt), honey, refiner's syrup, dried apples, salt, soy lecithin, sodium bicarbonate, spices and natural flavour. Are these ok or are they really bad. The fat content is less than 30%. I checked on that. A lot of the other flavours have 40% or more calories from fat. I thought these ones sounded ok as it's oatmeal and rice.

--------------------

#14709 - 07/23/03 04:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

These actually sound just fine. How do you do with a bowl of oatmeal? Some IBS folks don't do so well with oatmeal, as it is a whole grain and does have insoluble fiber in it. You might be one of them.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#14710 - 07/23/03 04:34 PM
Corinne

I actually haven't had oatmeal for awhile. I don't really like it that much as a breakfast. I love it in cookies and stuff though. So far I've done ok on these bars so I guess it must be ok with me. Oat bran is ok though right? What is the difference? I thought oatmeal was ok for IBS.

Lately when I bake for me I use oat bran. And those muffins are just fine for me. And yummy too. I'll try to post the recipe soon.

--------------------

#14713 - 07/23/03 05:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - Oatmeal and oat bran are tolerable for most, but not all, IBS folks. It's usually pretty easy to figure this one out, as a bowl of plain oatmeal will either help or hurt you. It sounds like oats aren't a problem for you, which makes the granola bars a bit of a mystery. Is the fat content closer to 30% than 20%? That's the only trigger left I can think of...

- H

--------------------

#14714 - 07/23/03 06:23 PM
Corinne

The fat content is 29%. So oats are ok for some. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Thanks. The apple ones seem to be fine for me. I don't think they are triggering anything as it's not consistent. I think right now the main thing I have to solve is getting more sleep. My son is not sleeping through the night and my daughter does not nap so I have no chance to catch up during the day. And since we can't have caffeine....Well, soon the winter will come and I think as he gets older he'll sleep better. Thanks for your help.

--------------------

#14781 - 07/24/03 09:57 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I am able to eat Granola Bars. As a matter of fact, in the winter time when I go snowmobiling and they only serve chili - I carry my granola bars and that's my meal until we get off the trail.

I have never had a problem with them at all. No matter what kind I choose.

I know everyone's system is different, but you may be like me and be able to tolerate them.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#14801 - 07/24/03 11:36 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - Sleep may be the real problem here. There's a direct correlation between sleep loss and IBS attacks. There are several articles about that in the research library.

- H

--------------------

#14820 - 07/24/03 03:04 PM
Corinne

Yeah, I was kind of afraid of that. My son has been sleeping better lately and I've been feeling better too. Till today that is. I had a really bad attack today but suspect the chocolate cake and cookies I had yesterday. My last bad attack came after my daughter's birthday when, again, I had chocolate cake. I'm going to stop with the chocolate for awhile then try it again. Maybe. I really hate these attacks.

--------------------

#14822 - 07/24/03 03:12 PM
Corinne

Hi Lana Marie,

I've been wondering how you were doing?

Have you found anywhere in Regina to get things like soy parmesan cheese etc? I found some lactose free stuff at Co-op but that's it. Any ideas?

How long have you been IBS? Are you C or D?

Anyway, it's nice to know there is someone else in town just like me!

I love granola bars and they seem to be fine for me too. Which ones are your favorite?

--------------------

#14833 - 07/24/03 04:13 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Oh you poor thing!! Not chocolate!!! Are you sure it's chocolate? Can it just be another ingredient in the cake? Hopefully?

#14857 - 07/24/03 07:55 PM
Corinne

I think everything else in the cake is safe. I cut down the fat, used egg white powder and the rest is flour (white), water, sugar and baking soda. I can't think of any other commonality. Oh well. I really like carob brownies so at least I can have something. Plus cotton candy at football games. I have hope for the future as well. When I can get things under control I will try it again.

--------------------

I love cotton candy... new
      #14863 - 07/24/03 09:21 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I'm on the rec committe at work and they tease me because I always have a cotton candy machine at the picnic every year! LOL

I still haven't tried the carob yet. Does it really taste anything at all like chocolate?

Well, I hope you do find out what's causing you probs so you can get it out of the way. Let us know how you make out.

Re: I love cotton candy... new
      #14890 - 07/25/03 07:40 AM
Corinne

The carob doesn't taste much like chocolate and a lot of people just don't like it. My daughter hates it but my son eats anything sweet. (They are 4 and 20months.) I like the carob brownies (I should post my recipe) with a nice white, almond flavour icing. I suggest you try some carob chips. You might be able to get a sample of them. Look for the sweetened ones that are dairy free. Our local health food store has them. If I can get them pretty much anyone should be able to. Carob powder is actually cheaper than cocoa. I use it just like cocoa. I'm going to try making fudge soon. I have to check and see how much fat is in the fudge as that might be a problem. So I'm off the cocoa for now and we'll see. I'll keep you up on that. I don't ever want another attack like yesterday. Especially since we are going on holiday in two weeks. Camping and then taking in the Calgary Zoo. I hope to be pretty much symptom free by our second honeymoon in October.

Later.

--------------------

#14910 - 07/25/03 11:19 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi Corrine!

How are things for you in the fair city! My gosh is it hot huh? What did we hit, 38 degrees fahrenheit a couple times this week! Just crazy!

I have found soy cheese at Superstore, but I am afraid to try it as I had a bad experience with the cheeses. I bought Vegan cheese from Old Fashion Foods and it tasted so terrible I actually pewked.

I am a picky picky eater and just want normal tasting cheese - I don't think thats too much to ask! LOL

I have IBS-D, but have been able to keep it pretty well contained if I am not eating out. If I control the ingredients etc I am good. Although - some days no matter what I try I get hit pretty hard.

What do you have? D or C?

Granola bars are excellent! Actually I have just tried the Special K bars, and they are very good - something different. I have been on this diet since January so I have had so many granola bars in the past seven months - I search for new things all the time.

PS - Feel free to email me if you wish. It is nice to share where to find items in this town. Everyone has been able to find someone to help them find some of these strange foods. Nice to see we get to do the same thing!

Take care,

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4283 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2077

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review