All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
weight gain supplement???
      #145356 - 02/01/05 04:00 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

Since I have started exercising every day (only 10 minutes each time) I have lost over 8 pounds. I am very thin to begin with so this does not help. any suggestions on something safe I could buy at the health food store to drink??

Need all of your advice - thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: weight gain supplement??? new
      #145357 - 02/01/05 04:05 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!

Are you sure you're getting enough fat in your diet? Enough calories? I can't remember the percentages but if you do a search you should be able to find something that says how many calories for your weight and how much fat.

Another thing you can do is add sugar to your diet. I don't know how comfortable you are with that...but it's an option.

I THINK Luna bars are IBS safe? I'm willing to bet someone here can offer better advice on protien drinks/supplements.

In any case...double check your fats and calories...that would be my 1st move!

*hugs*

Good luck!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#145368 - 02/01/05 04:14 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Check your health food store for some soy protein powder! I've been seeing more and more of them on the shelves, and most are dairy free. Double check the ingredients to be sure.

AtomicRose was in the same position you are in with the losing weight, and she found if she ate a lot of Heather's breads, she could safely put back on the lost pounds.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Jennifer new
      #145370 - 02/01/05 04:17 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

What a great suggestion! I forgot about soy protein powder! You just have to make sure it doesn't have whey in it. The ones I used to drink when I was underweight had whey in them. That would be BAD news for me these days!

Way to go Jen!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I agree with Ruchie... new
      #145371 - 02/01/05 04:18 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

First and foremost, make sure you're getting enough calories. Do a Google search for "BMR calculation" - your BMR, or basal metabolic rate, is the number of calories you need to consume in a day to maintain your current weight. Try to find a calculator that takes into account your activity level as well, because that's important!

Heather's quick breads are good high-calorie foods, and they're mighty tasty, too. If you're concerned about sugar, I've even made the brown sugar banana bread WITHOUT sugar, and it comes out quite tasty (just make sure the bananas are so ripe that they're practically liquid... they need to be quite sweet).

Luna bars are indeed safe - and delicious! - and they're 180 calories apiece. They're also very balanced, with plenty of protein and a lot of vitamins and minerals. Spiru-Tein protein shakes are another option; mixed with soy or rice milk, those are also safe, although not quite as high in calories as the Luna bars.

I will just add that I gained plenty of weight just eating the quick breads. They're addictive!

Good luck!

#145374 - 02/01/05 04:19 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

There are lots more complex ways to do this but here's a fairly easy way to calculate how many calories you should be getting each day:

Your weight (lbs) X
(**first number is for women/second one for men)
- 12/13 if you're sedentary
- 13/14 if you do light exercise
- 14/15.25 for moderate exercise
- 15/16.5 for moderate to heavy exercise
- 16/18 for heavy, regular exercise
(or just pick a number that approximates the level of exercise you get between none and heavy/regular!)

The number you get will be the number of calories you should get a day *MINIMUM*!

In her writing Heather says that for the IBS diet what you eat should no more than 25% fat, and probably a lot less than this (my diet is about 15% fat). If you have no idea how to figure this out try a site like
fitday.com where you enter in everything you eat on a particular day and it will calculate it for you.

For gaining weight, you need to make sure you're getting the proper amount of calories PLUS a little more. Sugar is definitely one option because it's very calorie-rich (though not very healthy!) A better option I think is probably just eating more food! Ruchie had a good suggestion with Luna bars - they're low fat and yummy! Plus most flavours are IBS safe. I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for drinks for weight gain. Are you looking for a meal replacement type drink (i.e. that you wouldn't actually use to REPLACE meals but add on to get more calories)? Careful because those usually have milk in them... try asking at your HFS. They're usually pretty knowledgable and I'm sure they could help you out. Make sure you read the ingredients list though!!!

Cheers, Laurel.

Re: Jennifer new
      #145497 - 02/01/05 08:25 PM

I know to look for no dairy but why no whey? this may sound stupid but what is whey???

#145499 - 02/01/05 08:42 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Whey is a milk by-product (I think it's like the watery part of the milk that separates when you're making cheese...), therefore looking for no dairy = no whey!

Laurel.

#145501 - 02/01/05 08:47 PM

Thanks for the quick response - I really like cliff bars (brand similar to Luna) but I think it might have whey in it - I now need to check.

do you know anything about digestive enzymes - I am taking super digestaway before each meal. It seems to actually help me go to the bathroom even though I am still very gassy.

any feedback??

Thanks!

well put.. Casey you said.. new
      #145529 - 02/02/05 02:41 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

most of what i was going to.. I'm an athlete, always have been and hated not getting the workouts I wanted due to IBS.. and have gotten back into it.. I use luna bars, spirutein and just overall eat more calories then I did when I wasn't working out.. I actually stick to 2 versions of the diet at home- one for when I'm more active and one for when I'm less... if I'm not working out regularly- sick, or just busy for some reason or on vacation or something... I tend to stick to about 1800 calories/day in 6 meals.... 3 smaller, 3 larger... if I am working out that number depending on the intensity of the workout can double... so I get to eat much higher caloric content foods. I also snack all day long on turkey jerky that is made locally.. YUMMY! Protein is very important in both endurance and weight training...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1078 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1733

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review