All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Cramps allll the time
      #145199 - 02/01/05 08:44 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Does anyone have cramps all the time??? I hear alot of people say "if I know I am going out to eat ot if I know I am going to eat something which will cause an attack"-- I was diagnosed IBS-C- although I DO have a bowel movement every day - all I use is one dose of citrucel. I don't hink I go eneough but still I am having a bulky BM. BUt I got off track-- The only time I do not have cramps is when I 1st wake up- then thats it..... Is anyone else this way??? And if so what meds are you currently taking. I have antispasmodics and hate them--- The doctor says I can take them 4 times a day if need be but how do people function on that medicine- it makes me feel so "out of it". Anyone else walking in my shoes..

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cramps allll the time new
      #145200 - 02/01/05 08:46 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

the side effects of the anti-spasmodics wear off after you've been taking them for a while...so you won't always feel that out of it.

Do you exercise at all? The cramps could be caused by trapped gas. If you exercise it helps release it...gross I know...but it works!!

I used to be this way... new
      #145207 - 02/01/05 09:16 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

a) I went on heathers diet.. b) I upped my dose of a safer fiber- what I was on originally was actually making the gas worse... c) gas -X and d) peppermint caps and fennel/peppermint tea and lastly e) exercise when I started working out again the last of that went away until I went on antibiotics for 2 weeks, now its back until those wear off again!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Anti-spasmodic only at night....... new
      #145210 - 02/01/05 09:22 AM
DynaDeb

Reged: 01/24/05
Loc: NW Indiana

I know what you mean about the way they make you feel. My GI told me I could take them 4x a day also, but no-way. I take one when I go to bed for several nights in a row and it seems to help.
Hope you find some relief soon.

Debby
------------------------------
"Live to Ride. Ride to Live." H-D

--------------------
Debby

"Live to Ride. Ride to Live."

#145218 - 02/01/05 09:32 AM
melissam

So now here's my confusion- I get depressed because I have cramps all the time therefeore have no ambition to do anything etc.... Should I go on an antidepressant which they say helps the cramps or take the antispasmodics? But I still have to come to work every day so I can't feel like Im in another world. I just need the cramps to go away.

--------------------
Melissa

#145241 - 02/01/05 10:21 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I used to get cramps way more often than I do now. I'm taking Miralax every morning, which has helped me. I would generally get the cramps because I was C. (I'm an IBS-C). Although sometimes I'd have the cramps even though I'd had a bm. Maybe I'm doing better now because the Miralax helps me be more regular.

I tried antispasmotics once, but they made me cramp up & get very C. (ironic about the cramps, huh?) I stopped taking them after a few days.

#145245 - 02/01/05 10:26 AM
melissam

Do you take the Miralax every day? I read that the Miralax causes bloating and gas? Do you find that to be true also?

--------------------
Melissa

#145249 - 02/01/05 10:32 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I take it every morning before breakfast in a big glass of water & cranberry juice. It has given me gas before, but it generally doesn't. I don't feel bloated either. It really helps me feel more "normal."

When you first start taking it, you might not have a bm for a few days. But then it kicks in. I usually have a bm every day on the Miralax.

Get Active!! new
      #145279 - 02/01/05 12:45 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I would suggest trying ANYTHING else before starting an anti-depressant...but that's just me. Your body will become physically dependant on them and you can't just stop taking them whenever you want to.

I suggest going for a walk everyday...you can do it after work, after dinner. Get a gym membership?? Being physically active WILL make your stomach feel better AND it will help get rid of your depression at the same time. It's a win/win situation...and here's something even better!! There are no bad side effects to physical fitness...however, there's chance you may become mentally addicted!! LOL I know I have!!

#145412 - 02/01/05 05:58 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I have cramps every minute of every day. No matter what I do or eat. I think maybe the SFS is causing the cramps? I don't know. I am IBS-C, so thought the SFS would help with that, but I suffer severe cramps everyday.

I don't know what to do about them because I can't handle peppermint capsules and anti-spasmodics cause me C and droziness.

If you find any answers, please post them.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 906 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3156

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review