All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS-D and Acacia
      #144588 - 01/30/05 06:21 PM
LupineGray

Reged: 01/15/05
Loc: California

Can somebody please explain why somebody who has too much liquid in their intestines (which results in D) should drink as much water as somebody with C when using a acacia or any fiber supplement? I thought it was supposed to absorb the water, but if you're just adding more than you would usually drink, aren't you defeating the purpose?

Thanks,
Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-D and Acacia new
      #144699 - 01/31/05 06:43 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

The excess fluid in your intestines resulting in D is a bad thing and you do not want to try and stop the D by becoming dehydrated which is basically the route you're talking about. The SFS helps prevent the D NOT by absorbing the water! So you take the SFS to help prevent the D AND take extra water to compensate.

Re: IBS-D and Acacia new
      #144950 - 01/31/05 02:15 PM
LupineGray

Reged: 01/15/05
Loc: California

Well I drink anywhere from 8-12 cups of water a day normally, so I don't think I'm dehydrated. What has me confused is this:
Heather says that soluble fiber absorbs the excess liquid and turns it into a gel. My question is, if I already drink that much water, should I be drinking more? And wouldn't that defeat the purpose? Or is the amount I drink already enough for the soluble fiber to do it's job, and that recommendation for people who don't drink so much?

Thanks I'm new here and very confused.
Kat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2137 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 554

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review