All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Traveling and ibs/d
      #143560 - 01/27/05 09:29 PM
manofmayo

Reged: 01/18/05
Loc: Everett, WA USA

This year I'd like to take some vacation time (its been 3 years since I took more than 4 days off) and travel to japan (expo 2005) or Hawaii or go on a cruise. Does anyone have some tips or experiences they would want to share?

I've only been on the diet for a few weeks and I'm afriad my D will strike forcing me to cancel the trip...or worse.

I'm hoping to leave either May or September.

Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Traveling and ibs/d new
      #143595 - 01/28/05 01:16 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Do a search on this as LOTS of people have asked for advice before. My main bit of advice is enjoy yourself! Worrying about it really will only make you worse, so don't even contemplate canceling.

Plus, if you go to a decent hotel or go on a cruise then it'll be civilised with nice toilets etc so no problem!

The other general advice is quite basic - take all the meds you will/might need, take your SFSs anf heat pads, pack some safe snacks, drink bottled water if going somewhere more exotic, etc.

Enjoy! I would LOVE a holiday right about now.

#143816 - 01/28/05 11:56 AM
geri

Reged: 12/14/04

I just heard that calcium consumption while traveling (either through food or supplements) helps normal old traveler's diarrhea. I know calcium supplements help me when I am at home with all symptoms. So you could try that. I also try to eat a lot of yogurt when traveling. I know that it is dairy, but it is one dairy that doesn't bother me. Just plain...not all the sugar and flavorings. I know it is nerve wracking contemplating a trip with diarrhea. I've been there many times. Try the yogurt though...it has helped me when traveling. Also try the calcium. Good luck. geri

#143877 - 01/28/05 02:04 PM
abuss

Reged: 01/13/05
Loc: Lake Crystal, MN

No worries on traveling to Hawaii...they have lots of IBS safe foods...rice is one of their main staples!! I went there last winter and had a fabulous time and relaxed and like the others have said, if you stay somewhere decent, there's always lots of bathrooms around.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 524 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 763

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review