All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Question for Heather on Gastric Emptying and SFS
      #143399 - 01/27/05 11:44 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Heather, I am confused about something. I have had a test done that has shown delayed gastric emptying. Now I know that this diet encourages the use of SFS for constipation and diarrhea (I have Constipation) but while scrolling through the Reseach articles I found two different posts where studes say that slow gastric emptying is made worse from SFS. Here Nutritional treatment and here Diet and IBS.

It's buried in the articles but if you read down it says "Delayed gastric emptying may be helped by the elimination of fatty foods and reduction of soluble fiber" and "Gastric emptying is slowed with the ingestion of fats and soluble fiber. Small bowel motility is slowed by soluble fiber and fatty foods".

I'm confused as to what to do now. I've been working on increasing the SFS but now I am wondering if that is the correct thing to do. I do have Constipation and thought the SFS would help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for Heather on Gastric Emptying and SFS new
      #143556 - 01/27/05 08:22 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

How did you find out you had delayed gastric emptying? I was diagnosed with IBS only -could I have that also? Do you have IBS also?

Slowed gastric emptying is not the same thing as IBS... new
      #143935 - 01/28/05 06:28 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

did the docs say you have slow transit constipation? That's something that is often misdiagnosed as IBS - it's a really good thing that your docs had you take tests that showed the gastric emptying instead of just slapping you with the IBS label.

For IBS, soluble fiber helps regulate gut motility - it also helps regulate water content in the bowel. So, it just basically keeps the gut calm and contracting in a normal fashion - something that is otherwise prone to go awry with IBS due to the dysfunction of the gut's nervous system.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Heather, I have both, please help! new
      #143938 - 01/28/05 06:35 PM
Augie

I originally had chronic diarrhea, but it turned to chronic constipation. That's when my internest did the gastric emptying test that came back with slow emptying. But I had been D up until a year before.

So I've had IBS for over 15 years. So I guess I have both. This is why I don't know what to do about the SFS. It is recommended for the IBS that I definately do have, but not for the slow gastric emptying which I also showed to have. Thus, the confusion!!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I have both! new
      #144415 - 01/30/05 12:47 PM
BetterLife

Reged: 01/30/05
Loc: CA, USA

Hi. After reading your message post about Slow Gastric Emptying, I am concerned about myself having the same and the soluble fiber remedy. I also feel that the soluble fiber makes my stools harder and thicker to pass. Will you inform me if you have any solutions or suggestions? Thanks. By the way, what is SFS?

--------------------
BetterLife

I have no suggestions... new
      #145414 - 02/01/05 06:05 PM
Augie

as I am clueless on how to treat both these conditions since the treatment is the opposite for each of them.

SFS=Soluble Fiber Supplement (citrucel, benefiber, metamucil, fibercon, etc)

Sorry.

--------------------
~ Beth

Yes, I have both new
      #145421 - 02/01/05 06:14 PM
Augie

My doctor had me tested for gastric emptying because I had the symptoms (consipation, feeling full shortly after eating a little food, indigestion, etc).

I went to hospital and they put some die into some scrambled eggs which I ate along with some OJ and toast. Then the nuclear med tech took x-rays of my inside every 1/2 hour or so for 3 hours or something like that. The x-rays show how fast the food is emptying into your GI system.

In my case, it wasn't moving as quickly as it should be, thus I was diagnosed with gastroparesis or something like that. Fancy name for delayed gastric emptying.

Yes, I have both IBS and Delayed gastric emptying. My body seems to just work slowly, and I think that's why the BM's don't come! Slow motility is IBS-C I think, and I don't know how that is different from Delayed gastric emptying.

I am clueless as what to do about the SFS as I asked in my question to Heather. Hopefully, she can give me some further opinions, but I know she is busy.

--------------------
~ Beth

Heather, any suggestions?? new
      #167924 - 04/07/05 09:25 AM
Augie

I have delayed gastric emptying (not severe) and the research library says SFS and fiber is not good for this condition. Yet, I also have severe IBS with constipation, which SFS and fiber is recommended for.

I am confused at how I should treat both these conditions which have such opposite recommendations.

Heather, or anyone with gastric emptying problems, what should I do?

--------------------
~ Beth

bump again- anyone, thoughts?-nt *DELETED* new
      #168294 - 04/08/05 09:37 AM
Augie

Post deleted by Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

I think there is a medicine for this...
      #168351 - 04/08/05 01:35 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I can't remember what it was called, this was a while back when we were still tryng to figure out what was wrong with me, but my GI sort of "guessed at" maybe gastric emptying was my issue and gave me a medicine that was supposed to make my stomach contract and empty sooner than it was. I honestly can't comment on whether it helped or hurt, as there were so many other things going on with me at that time, but it might help YOU. Has your Dr mentioned anything like this?

As you know I'm one of those who has to say that SFS did not help me and as you quoted this article, got worse. My colon is long and slow...guess some of us are just lucky, huh?

If I could do anything I would give you a magic answer to solve all this direclty and simply and quickly because I know that is what you want... just some clear answers and some HELP.

Hang in there and listen to these guys, they've got great suggestions. DON'T GIVE UP!! The answers will come, I from experience can say sometimes they are a LONG TIME coming but IT WILL GET BETTER - if we don't believe that, what do we have?? ((((HUGS))))

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 663 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1622

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review