All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Foreman Grill new
      #14030 - 07/14/03 10:56 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

How about having an indoor cookout? You could do lots of bread, baked potatoes, potato salad etc then have different meats ready for everyone and slap them on the grill when they want them. The little ones could have burgers, the older ones steak and you could do some nice chicken breast, perhaps marinaded in lemon and herbs, or perhaps some fish. I'm not sure what you can tolerate.
One of the best dinners I had when my friend came over with her fussy 3 year old was a baked potato dinner with loads of different fillings on the table. That way everyone got something they liked, as we have 2 with ibs and 1 dairy and additives intolerance in our family!
Hope this has helped a bit, have a great birthday whatever *hugs*

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: chinese food?? try vietnamese new
      #14033 - 07/14/03 11:14 PM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

the bad news for me (and apparently others)is chinese buffets can be suicide. all the ones near me are incredibly greasy and despite the fact they have menus, they still manage to screw things up.

the good news is that i rarely eat chinese, but now eat a diet chocked full of vietnamese goodies. i love the fresh spring rolls (not fried) which are in a flour or rice paper, filled with rice noodles, a few soy bean sprouts, and i dip them in the peanut sauce which i know can be a risk for some but i do ok with. you can also get meats or tofu in the rolls. they also make yummy lemongrass tofu, vermicelli noodle bowls, and other wonderful fresh foods which are not all greasy. of course i get a lot of white rice and drink the hot green tea (i always forget to bring my mint tea). if anyone reading this lives in houston, tx i'm talking about mai's on milam.

we also have many asian markets in the area where you can buy all the ingredients to make it at home. spring rolls are best served fresh and tend to harden in a few hours, so making them at home when you are ready is recommended. anyway, they can be tricky to roll, but i got a sushi roller which does help. the workers at the market are always on hand to give cooking tips if you need them and will help you translate labels that aren't acccessible to those of us that can't read the asian languages (yea, that's me). i have also bought their sweeping brooms and will never go back to the traditional western ones again. other neat things are the drip coffe makers (i use them for tea), and i LOVE their dishes. you can buy the large and tiny plastic bowls really cheap. i use them for everything in the kitchen for holding dipping sauces i don't want running all over my plate, holding ingredients, etc. plus are dishwasher safe.

another benefit is the tea aisle is HUGE!!! so many teas that are good for us and they sell fresh ginger in the produce area very inexpensive and wonderful. another benefit is fortune cookies by the giagantic bag full (another ibs treat). i get frozen mushroom dumplings that i use in veggie won ton soup that is wonderful.

as you can see i'm really enthused about veitnamese food and getting into some cultural areas as well. i've found it to be very ibs friendly. if you have any questions about rolling spring rolls i'll be glad to help or other questions i'll be glad to take a stab at. you might want to privately email me as i check the board a few times a week.

good luck!

amy

Re: chinese food?? new
      #14049 - 07/15/03 06:41 AM
gator

Reged: 05/26/03
Loc: Florida

Thank you all for your feedback.. it is much appreciated. I love this board, you can get so many good ideas from just a single question...

--------------------
Thank You

#14058 - 07/15/03 08:10 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I didn't read the other responses so forgive me if this has already been said. When we order Chinese, I ask them to make me a steamed chicken and veggie meal, with no sauce. It is very tolerable for me, steamed chicken (NOT breaded or fried), white rice, and all the veggies do okay but I pick out the broccoli or pass it to my husband. I also skip the eggroll, big problems there. I do miss the sauce but I tolerate it much better without it. Good luck!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#14060 - 07/15/03 08:31 AM
Catherine

Reged: 05/28/03

I almost always have trouble eating Chinese food out (although I can make Chinese food at home and eat it with no problems!) There are a very few Chinese restaurants where I can eat selected dishes - but there are many others where I have problems even from rice and steamed or sauteed vegetables! I think, despite what they say, many Chinese restaurants are STILL adding MSG to everything - including vegetables. I know I get migraines from MSG, and I get migraines after eating at certain Chinese restaurants - it CANNOT be coincidence! Also, a lot of their "low-fat" options still taste suspiciously greasy to me. The restaurants I have the best luck at are those that specialize in vegetarian options as opposed to those who just offer several sauteed vegetable opportunities. Not that you have to order the vegetarian options, but it seems like those restaurants offer healthier food in general. Also, I avoid buffets of any kind and order off menus - it always seems like "menu food" sits on my stomach better, no matter what kind of restaurant it is!

What a great post!! -nt- new
      #14071 - 07/15/03 10:45 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: chinese food?? try vietnamese new
      #14083 - 07/15/03 11:29 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Your post was fantastic and made me want to go out to find a Vietnamese restaurant/market. Unfortunately where I live that would mean a two and a half hour trip to LA. You folks in big cities have it made. I will however check in our one and only Asian market here to see what they have and go from there. Thanks again. Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 238 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3618

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review