Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Reliv users: Help!!
      #138979 - 01/16/05 12:28 AM
salsagal

Reged: 09/10/04
Loc: Boston, MA

Hi,

I'm IBS-C all the way. I posted two weeks ago 'cuz Reliv Classic and Innergize were making me queasy. As a respondent predicted, the queasiness went away in less than a week. Great, I thought, I can actually tolerate Reliv!

But now I have bad gas pains--probably because I upped my dose from *half* the recommended dose (1 scoop Classic and 1 scoop Innergize once daily) to the *full* recommended dose (1 scoop of each product twice daily). BTW, I was told to use the Innergize scooper (larger than the Classic scooper) to measure doses of both products.

Did anyone else encounter this side effect? I suppose I can drop back to half the recommended dose, but I've heard you need at least the recommended dose to derive benefits.

Oh, the same thing happened when I tried acacia. I increased very slowly but had to quit due to gas cramps.

Thanks again.

--salsagal

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Reliv users: Help!! new
      #139077 - 01/16/05 01:45 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I would drop back to the half dose and then increase more slowly. It's quite common with all SFS's to need to build up the dose really slowly or you get gas and cramps and gurgliness (isn't that a great word!)

Just be systematic and methodical about it. Your body will tell you when it's comfortable with a certain dose and when it's ready for a little increase. Doubling the dose was just probably too aggressive. Our tummies like to be babied!

Good luck and keep trying!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#139248 - 01/17/05 07:21 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I got the bad gas pain -- that's why I had to quit using it. I think I told you that in my post. I think it's the high levels of Vit C which Heather warns us about. That's just a theory though -- as some do just fine on it. I also did fine if I dropped back down to a low dose -- but it doesn't do you any good at that low of a dose.

Vitamin C for constipation? new
      #139284 - 01/17/05 08:53 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I thought Vit C was suppose to help with Constipation. One of the herbs I take contains vitamin C. As I do not eat citrus fruits, wouldn't the added vit C in the supplement be necessary for overall health?

But I don't need anything causing more pain!

Anyone have comments on vitamin C and the effects (good or bad for constipation?
Thanke

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Here is what Heather says about Vitamin C new
      #139363 - 01/17/05 12:56 PM
kshsmom

It may be somewhat helpful for constipation prone IBS - but be careful -- because it can be like a laxative. Here is what Heather said:

"Vitamin C is particularly notorious for causing gas, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea. Vitamin C is ascorbic acid, and as the name implies, it's acidic. When it enters the alkaline environment of the lower intestinal tract it can create diarrhea and gas. In Germany, vitamin C is actually an approved laxative, so imagine what it will do to you if you have IBS. The recommended dose for Vitamin C is generally under 2,000 mg. daily. Over that, and you really risk the GI side effects. Unless your doctor has recommended otherwise, make sure your multivitamin does not exceed one hundred percent of the US RDA for Vitamin C."

Here is the link:
http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#vitamin

That's it, I give up now new
      #139372 - 01/17/05 01:08 PM
Augie

Thanks for the info, but it was not the news I wanted to hear! The herb I'm taking is suppose to be safe and help for my chronic, chronic constipation. But I already have mucho gas and abdominal pain and cramps.

Why do things that are suppose to help with one symptom always seem to increase other bad symptoms? Why can't something just work and not cause further problems.

Once again I am in a state of confusion. The harder I try to find an answer or some relief, the more I seem to get slapped back down.

I'm sorry if this sounds so negative. But I am just at the end of my rope with this entire IBS ordeal and with trying to find relief. I think I find an answer for some relief, and instead I get more pain! I can't win with this IBS. It has won. I surrender! I have hit bottom. It's official! I'm so tired.

--------------------
~ Beth

Check the dose... new
      #139458 - 01/17/05 08:02 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it isn't that you can't have a vitamin C supplement at all, it's that you don't want a megadose. And I'd make sure you take it with food.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Heather, please advise new
      #139459 - 01/17/05 08:07 PM
Augie

It contains 36mg (60% DV) per dose. I take 2 doses per day after a meal. Do you think this is safe? Or possibly causing some of my problem?

--------------------
~ Beth

#139466 - 01/18/05 12:07 AM
salsagal

Reged: 09/10/04
Loc: Boston, MA

Thanks for your advice. I agree that our tummies need to be babied--but that's what I thought I was doing by starting at 1/2 the dose. I wonder if it'll really make a difference to increase from 1/2 to 3/4 to 1 dose--versus 1/2 to 1 dose. This is so discouraging!

Re: Heather, please advise new
      #139500 - 01/18/05 06:19 AM
kshsmom

I was going to say exactly what Heather said -- just watch the dose. I'm not her -- but my "safe" zone for myself is not more than 100% of RDA -- but I am IBS D. However -- if you're still having problems with gas & cramping -- and you don't have anything else that could be causing it -- that might be your source. Are your taking anything else with Vit C?

What you might want to do is break up your dose -- take one half after breakfast and one half after supper. Excess Vit C doesn't stay in your system - it is flushed out of your body -- so you may have less trouble if you don't take it all at once.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1561 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4482

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review