All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
IBS and CELIAC...what to eat...
      #13769 - 07/11/03 05:50 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I decided to stay GF (gluten free) because it's takes many weeks to eat gluten for the tests to be accurate and my insurance will be up very soon. I seem to be doing better without gluten anyway, so I figure why not.

Now that I can't eat pasta, bread, and many other carbs I was eating on just the IBS diet, I'm looking for ideas. I eat rice cakes, potatoes, and rice pasta right now. I'm also trying to not to eat foods sky in fat--I'm having IBS attacks now (I had added dairy back in...and peanut butter...TOO MUCH FAT!), so I have to be careful.

I can't eat eggs or corn...so I'm unable to make gluten free bread.

I want to make sure I get the nutrtion I need while staying with the IBS/Gluten free diet. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone...happy Friday!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and CELIAC...what to eat... new
      #13829 - 07/11/03 05:59 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Ruchie you can make glueten free bread with rice flour and even buckwheat. Do a google search - you will find lots of recipes for making bread. I even have a great recipe for Banana bread using only rice flour.
I know from previous posts you wrote you can't eat rice. Is that still the case?
I know eggs are the issue for you, but there has to be a subst. for eggs. From what I understand about eggs - it makes your food more cakey. Have you tried making recipes without eggs?
I think it would be helpful if you post what you can eat, especially pertaining to flour. I have a recipe for cookies using only oatmeal flour and no eggs. I am more than happy to take time to post recipes if I know what you can eat.
Barbara

#13837 - 07/11/03 10:49 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Hi Ruchie, I agree with Barbara. TELL us what you CAN eat and we can go from there with possible help. I too, buy and make a lot of gluten free products, not because I'm gluten intolerant but because I am allergic to wheat. There are LOTS of alternatives out there, it just depends on what you can and cannot tolerate. After all, you gotta eat girl!!!! Kandee

--------------------

#13840 - 07/12/03 08:57 AM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Do you know of the "Gluten free Gourmet" series of cookbooks? They're by a woman with Celiac named Bette Hagman. They're not always low fat, but you can substitute.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#13844 - 07/12/03 11:07 AM
Kandee

Loc: USA, Southern California

No, I certainly did not know about the "Gluten free Gourmet" series of cookbooks by Bette Hagman. Will do a search on Amazon and Barnes and Noble and see if they have them.
Thanks for the imput. Kandee

--------------------

#13872 - 07/13/03 01:46 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Ruchie, and anyone else dealing with multiple food-related issues,

At the library I found a book called _Special Diet Solutions: Healthy Cooking Without Wheat, Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Yeast or Refined Sugar_ by Carol Fenster, Ph.D. It offers a huge variety of recipes and appendices on Baking With Alternative Sweeteners/Dairy Substitutes/Egg Substitutes/Wheat-Free Flours; Wheat Flour Equivalents; Substitutes for Wheat As Thickener; Cooking Oils; Hidden Sources of Wheat and Gluten/Dairy Products/Eggs/Corn/Soy/Yeast; etc.

The author has also written _Special Diet Celebrations: No Wheat, Gluten, Dairy, or Eggs_. You really might seek these out--they seem like good, down-to-earth books.

Re: Great Info. Tess. Thanks. NT new
      #13904 - 07/14/03 07:05 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

#13913 - 07/14/03 08:55 AM
Snow for Sarala

THANK YOU ALL SOOOOOOO MUCH! *HUGS*

I have thought about this for a while now...and I've decided to add gluten back into my diet. No eggs, corn, or dairy though! I will see how I do. If it's the gluten I'll know soon enough....

I'll let you know how I do!

Thank you for your support! I love you all!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#13923 - 07/14/03 10:31 AM
cloudygirl

Loc: Washington

Hi Ruchie,
I'm not sure if I have celiac or just gluten intollerence. I can't have dairy, corn, and I have been tryingto stay away from gluten. It's frustrating not knowing for sure, and I can't afford to get tested for food allergies at this time. I read the other posts for this thread, and there seems to be a lot of good info. Let me know how your doing.
Good Luck
Cloudygirl

#14041 - 07/15/03 05:11 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks for responding!

It is SO frustrating not knowing! I took gluten out for 11 weeks and now I've added it back in. I should know, I hope, soon if gluten is a problem. If I'm unsure, I will get the upper endoscopy done (not a food allergy test btw and it is covered by insurance).

I wish you all the best! Let me know how you're doing as well!

*big hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 758 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1217

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review