All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Acacia tummy fiber
      #137342 - 01/11/05 12:54 PM
Nanzi

Reged: 03/31/04

I've been using the Acacia tummy fiber for about 4 weeks now and have not experience much relief; I think I'm a bit worse actually. I had been using 1 Fibercon in the morning and 1 at night when I added the tummy fiber. I FEEL more constipated although I'm actually not! Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia tummy fiber new
      #137382 - 01/11/05 01:55 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Nanzi, for people with C, it does take a little longer to get stable. And SFS's do change the way your tummy feels. It felt weird to me at first, but then I got used to it and now I realize that this is what normal feels like!!

What dose are you up to? You might want to re-read Heather's page on SFS's again, too. Here's the link: SFS

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#137533 - 01/12/05 07:19 AM
WelshLady

Reged: 08/25/04

Are you drinking enough plain water? I used to drink plain water and fruit squashes/cordials (which I thought would be okay as they're mainly water). But now I try to stick to just plain water and I've noticed a difference. I try and drink 4-5 pints a day at least. The fibre won't work without plenty and plenty of water....

#137542 - 01/12/05 08:27 AM
Nanzi

Welshlady, thank you so much for responding. I'm a first time user and not very computer literate... I will try to drink more water. I think I drink a lot, but perhaps I don't. I will beef it up and see what happens. It certainly can't hurt. [color:purple] [/color]

#137543 - 01/12/05 08:30 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I had a similar experience with Acacia. I thought, like you, that it just was not working for me. I placed the Acacia in a tupperware container and went back to Citrucel. Along with the Citrucel came the gas again. I was so frustrated I could scream, and did!

I was reading the boards one day when Casey (Atomic Rose) had given advice to another sufferer. I was drinking what felt like mountains of water, but when I read Casey's advise, I realized I was not eating enough insoluables.

I then started to slowly add peas and carrots, peaches, pears, applesauce, mixed fruits, vegetables of all kinds (squash, celery,carrots, a little broccoli and greens). I incorporated canned sweet potatoes as well.

The Citrucel was causing me to have awful gas and bloating, so I decided to try the Acacia again. I started off slowly (1/4 tsp) for a few days, then 1/2, etc.

I know take two Tablespoons of Acacia per day. One in the morning and one before bed. I have a BM every day, sometimes two. I still have some gas and bloat, but nothing like the Citrucel.

I can actually feel myself getting better. In fact, it has been four months with no D or C and a minute amount of gas and bloating.

I have been exercising as often as possibe (at least three days per week) and I can honestly say, for right now, in this moment in time,I feel great!

It takes time for our bodies to adjust to the Acacia and the insolubles are a God send. Just hang in there, you will start to feel better. Every 7-10 days, up your dosage of Acacia along with lots of insolubles and plenty of water and you will look back at this time and actually be able to smile.

The people on this website are great. Casey, Laurasue or someone will advise you on what you can do to make yourself feel better. God knows, I am certainly thankful that I was reading the boards that day and saw Casey's advice. I will be forever grateful that God presented me with the time to go online and answered my prayer through the internet.

There are a lot of compassionate people on this board and I pray for God to bless each and every one of them, including you.

Your answer will come, don't worry. Do the best that you can by eating and drinking. The rest will come together, it is a slow process, but well worth the wait.

God bless you and Big Hugs from me.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#137544 - 01/12/05 08:31 AM
Nanzi

LauraSue, thank you too for responding. Sometime I feel so alone...Anyway, I did reread Heather's SFS. I'm only using 3/4 tsp. of Acacia fiber plus 2 Fibercons per day. Perhaps it is time to up the Acacia because I do still have a lot of spasming during the day and night. I guess I'm a little scared that I'm going to hurt myself, but after rereading her info I don't think that will be the case. I'm only going to go up to 2 tsps per day for now and see what that does. Whew... sorry it's so long! Again, thanks!

Nanzi

#137550 - 01/12/05 08:45 AM
Nanzi

LittleFox, by the end of your response, I had tears in my eyes! You have explained what I feel I am going through exactly! And I did realize the other day that perhaps I don't eat enough insolubles and I just started incorporating more into my diet this week!!! Right now I want to jump up, cheer, and cry at the same time because you all have made me feel like I actually may be able to find real comfort and peace!

Ok, I will definitely change things up a bit, drink more water for sure, and I too will be feeling great in no time!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I've been praying to my angels for help and they have sent it! I hope I can keep it together (without crying!) today so that I can actually get some work done!! I'm so happy right now!

Big hugs to you too!!!!

Nancy

Little Fox new
      #137552 - 01/12/05 08:49 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Thank you for posting this. I think I really needed to see this today. I too am taking citrucel and having bloat and gas. I take zelnorm, colace and magnesium on top of this. But still no BM.

I have added peaches,pears, papaya, spinach, green beans, carrots and squash, but still nothing but pain.

Maybe I need to try the Acacia instead of turning back to the citrucel even though I know it may be causing problems. Guess it's safer to stick with the problem you know instead of risking making things worse by trying something else.

But perhaps I have reached rock bottom. I mean, what's the worst that can happen if I switched? I already feel horrible! But I am currently up to 6 grams fiber of citrucel and I'm scared to start back down to 1/4 tsp. That is so low compared to where I'm at!

Also, could you give me an idea of how much fruit and how much veggies you have in a particular day? Like a sample daily menu? Perhaps I am not doing enough.

This is a pretty smart group of folks who know their stuff and are happy to share with us. Thanks to all of you.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Little Fox new
      #137627 - 01/12/05 11:01 AM
LittleFox

Hi Beth - I sympathize 100% because I was in your shoes not too long ago. Below is what works for me, I start at 8:00AM:

Breakfast: Eggbeater omelet with mushrooms
one sourdough english muffin
One cup of Yogi Stomach Ease Tea and 1 full glass of water

1-1/2 hour(s) later:

1 bowl of oatmeal with dice peaches (in there own syrup) and two glasses of water

2 hours later: Rice with chicken, zuchinni, carrots, peas, chestnuts and rutabaga along with a cup of chamomile tea and a glass of water.

1 1/2-2 hours later: one container of applesauce and two glasses of water.

Dinner: Remainder of rice, chicken and vegetables along with two glasses of water.

3-4 hours before bed: one smoothie with Rice Dream Vanilla Milk and a cup of Yogi StomachEase tea.

The first thing I do when I get up in the mornings is have my Acacia in a full cup of water, then I have meds that I take on an empty stomach (which is why I coat my tummy with Acacia first) and have another full glass of water.

I usually arrive at work around 7:00AM. I take RELIV NOW and INNERGIZE as my vitamins supplements; hence, another full glass of water. I also take B12, extra E and B complex with C (with my meals).

I have Rice Chex, Rice Cakes and Cheerios to snack on throughout the day.

I exercise and take a nice hot shower 3 hours before I go to sleep.

It works for me and my system. Oh, I also take PeriColace stool softener; not Colace. I also take Heather's Peppermint caps 3 x per day.

I will be praying for you.

Lene

--------------------

#137629 - 01/12/05 11:04 AM
LittleFox

God counts the tears of women. If you have the urge to cry, do so. You will feel much better afterwards.

BIG HUGS!!!!!!

Lene

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5728 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3099

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review