All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Acacia tummy fiber
      #137342 - 01/11/05 12:54 PM
Nanzi

Reged: 03/31/04

I've been using the Acacia tummy fiber for about 4 weeks now and have not experience much relief; I think I'm a bit worse actually. I had been using 1 Fibercon in the morning and 1 at night when I added the tummy fiber. I FEEL more constipated although I'm actually not! Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia tummy fiber new
      #137382 - 01/11/05 01:55 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Nanzi, for people with C, it does take a little longer to get stable. And SFS's do change the way your tummy feels. It felt weird to me at first, but then I got used to it and now I realize that this is what normal feels like!!

What dose are you up to? You might want to re-read Heather's page on SFS's again, too. Here's the link: SFS

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#137533 - 01/12/05 07:19 AM
WelshLady

Reged: 08/25/04

Are you drinking enough plain water? I used to drink plain water and fruit squashes/cordials (which I thought would be okay as they're mainly water). But now I try to stick to just plain water and I've noticed a difference. I try and drink 4-5 pints a day at least. The fibre won't work without plenty and plenty of water....

#137542 - 01/12/05 08:27 AM
Nanzi

Welshlady, thank you so much for responding. I'm a first time user and not very computer literate... I will try to drink more water. I think I drink a lot, but perhaps I don't. I will beef it up and see what happens. It certainly can't hurt. [color:purple] [/color]

#137543 - 01/12/05 08:30 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I had a similar experience with Acacia. I thought, like you, that it just was not working for me. I placed the Acacia in a tupperware container and went back to Citrucel. Along with the Citrucel came the gas again. I was so frustrated I could scream, and did!

I was reading the boards one day when Casey (Atomic Rose) had given advice to another sufferer. I was drinking what felt like mountains of water, but when I read Casey's advise, I realized I was not eating enough insoluables.

I then started to slowly add peas and carrots, peaches, pears, applesauce, mixed fruits, vegetables of all kinds (squash, celery,carrots, a little broccoli and greens). I incorporated canned sweet potatoes as well.

The Citrucel was causing me to have awful gas and bloating, so I decided to try the Acacia again. I started off slowly (1/4 tsp) for a few days, then 1/2, etc.

I know take two Tablespoons of Acacia per day. One in the morning and one before bed. I have a BM every day, sometimes two. I still have some gas and bloat, but nothing like the Citrucel.

I can actually feel myself getting better. In fact, it has been four months with no D or C and a minute amount of gas and bloating.

I have been exercising as often as possibe (at least three days per week) and I can honestly say, for right now, in this moment in time,I feel great!

It takes time for our bodies to adjust to the Acacia and the insolubles are a God send. Just hang in there, you will start to feel better. Every 7-10 days, up your dosage of Acacia along with lots of insolubles and plenty of water and you will look back at this time and actually be able to smile.

The people on this website are great. Casey, Laurasue or someone will advise you on what you can do to make yourself feel better. God knows, I am certainly thankful that I was reading the boards that day and saw Casey's advice. I will be forever grateful that God presented me with the time to go online and answered my prayer through the internet.

There are a lot of compassionate people on this board and I pray for God to bless each and every one of them, including you.

Your answer will come, don't worry. Do the best that you can by eating and drinking. The rest will come together, it is a slow process, but well worth the wait.

God bless you and Big Hugs from me.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#137544 - 01/12/05 08:31 AM
Nanzi

LauraSue, thank you too for responding. Sometime I feel so alone...Anyway, I did reread Heather's SFS. I'm only using 3/4 tsp. of Acacia fiber plus 2 Fibercons per day. Perhaps it is time to up the Acacia because I do still have a lot of spasming during the day and night. I guess I'm a little scared that I'm going to hurt myself, but after rereading her info I don't think that will be the case. I'm only going to go up to 2 tsps per day for now and see what that does. Whew... sorry it's so long! Again, thanks!

Nanzi

#137550 - 01/12/05 08:45 AM
Nanzi

LittleFox, by the end of your response, I had tears in my eyes! You have explained what I feel I am going through exactly! And I did realize the other day that perhaps I don't eat enough insolubles and I just started incorporating more into my diet this week!!! Right now I want to jump up, cheer, and cry at the same time because you all have made me feel like I actually may be able to find real comfort and peace!

Ok, I will definitely change things up a bit, drink more water for sure, and I too will be feeling great in no time!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I've been praying to my angels for help and they have sent it! I hope I can keep it together (without crying!) today so that I can actually get some work done!! I'm so happy right now!

Big hugs to you too!!!!

Nancy

Little Fox new
      #137552 - 01/12/05 08:49 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Thank you for posting this. I think I really needed to see this today. I too am taking citrucel and having bloat and gas. I take zelnorm, colace and magnesium on top of this. But still no BM.

I have added peaches,pears, papaya, spinach, green beans, carrots and squash, but still nothing but pain.

Maybe I need to try the Acacia instead of turning back to the citrucel even though I know it may be causing problems. Guess it's safer to stick with the problem you know instead of risking making things worse by trying something else.

But perhaps I have reached rock bottom. I mean, what's the worst that can happen if I switched? I already feel horrible! But I am currently up to 6 grams fiber of citrucel and I'm scared to start back down to 1/4 tsp. That is so low compared to where I'm at!

Also, could you give me an idea of how much fruit and how much veggies you have in a particular day? Like a sample daily menu? Perhaps I am not doing enough.

This is a pretty smart group of folks who know their stuff and are happy to share with us. Thanks to all of you.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Little Fox new
      #137627 - 01/12/05 11:01 AM
LittleFox

Hi Beth - I sympathize 100% because I was in your shoes not too long ago. Below is what works for me, I start at 8:00AM:

Breakfast: Eggbeater omelet with mushrooms
one sourdough english muffin
One cup of Yogi Stomach Ease Tea and 1 full glass of water

1-1/2 hour(s) later:

1 bowl of oatmeal with dice peaches (in there own syrup) and two glasses of water

2 hours later: Rice with chicken, zuchinni, carrots, peas, chestnuts and rutabaga along with a cup of chamomile tea and a glass of water.

1 1/2-2 hours later: one container of applesauce and two glasses of water.

Dinner: Remainder of rice, chicken and vegetables along with two glasses of water.

3-4 hours before bed: one smoothie with Rice Dream Vanilla Milk and a cup of Yogi StomachEase tea.

The first thing I do when I get up in the mornings is have my Acacia in a full cup of water, then I have meds that I take on an empty stomach (which is why I coat my tummy with Acacia first) and have another full glass of water.

I usually arrive at work around 7:00AM. I take RELIV NOW and INNERGIZE as my vitamins supplements; hence, another full glass of water. I also take B12, extra E and B complex with C (with my meals).

I have Rice Chex, Rice Cakes and Cheerios to snack on throughout the day.

I exercise and take a nice hot shower 3 hours before I go to sleep.

It works for me and my system. Oh, I also take PeriColace stool softener; not Colace. I also take Heather's Peppermint caps 3 x per day.

I will be praying for you.

Lene

--------------------

#137629 - 01/12/05 11:04 AM
LittleFox

God counts the tears of women. If you have the urge to cry, do so. You will feel much better afterwards.

BIG HUGS!!!!!!

Lene

--------------------

#137634 - 01/12/05 11:12 AM
LittleFox

Sorry, I forgot to mention this. I was taking six Citrucels per day which equals to 3 grams of fiber. Maybe you can start the Acacia at 1 tablespoon per day since it has 4.5 grams of fiber.

I was taking 3 tablespoons per day, and was very uncomfortable. I think two tablespoons is my number along with the fiber in the solubles and insoubles.

Just a thought, please investigate this. Too much fiber can be just as bad as too less fiber. I do not want you to take my word for it, I am still a novice regarding IBS. Heather's post on SFS will put you on the right track.

Remember, this too shall pass.

Lene

--------------------

You changed your username! new
      #137684 - 01/12/05 12:46 PM
Augie

Thought that was you Healing! Why did you decide to change it! Any significance in the new name?

Thanks for the response. Wow, that's a lot of veggies if you eat all of those! How much of each do you eat? You eat all those at one meal or just one of them? How do you cook them?

Also, I heard peri-colace is the bad one. It's a laxative and your bowels become reliant on it and it causes big time dependence. Colace is the safe one.

--------------------
~ Beth

#137808 - 01/12/05 02:56 PM
LauraSue

Lene,

What a great post! I absolutely can't add a single thing to it! I'm SO GLAD to hear that you can feel it working. That is such GREAT news! We like success stories, so thanks for sharing yours.

Good job, sweetie!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#137809 - 01/12/05 02:59 PM
LauraSue

Awww, Nanzi, I'm getting teary eyed reading your reply! Yes, your prayers have been answered. I keep asking Heather to check her shoulders to see if her wings have started growing yet, because I'm convinced she's an angel!!

Now you stick around, okay? We want to get to know you and help you and support you so you can do the same for us and others.

Hang in there, sweetie!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: You changed your username! new
      #137842 - 01/12/05 03:50 PM
LittleFox

No special reason for the username change, just thought I would try something different.

The veggies are consumed in two meals, lunch and dinner. The peas, carrots, rutabaga and most of the others, I buy at the grocery store canned. The ones I do cook, I cook them until they are almost soggy or very soft.

thanks again about the colace.

Hang in there, it will take some time, but you want regret it!!!!!

Lene

--------------------

How much of the veggies new
      #138295 - 01/14/05 06:58 AM
Augie

do you eat at one sitting, Lene? A 1/2 cup or 1 cup? Do you just eat a portion of each of the canned veggie? Just trying to understand how much total veggies you do in one meal. I don't think I am doing enough but don't want to go overboard and get too much at once.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: How much of the veggies new
      #138359 - 01/14/05 08:55 AM
LittleFox

I purchase the small cans at the grocery store. They are all one serving.

I combine peas and carrots, rutabaga, zucchini and yellow squash and celery over white rice with grilled chicken and I have my lunch and dinner all ready to go.

I do not consume all of this at once, I have half for lunch and the other half for dinner.

I don't measure portions, I just sort of guess and so far, so good.

Good Luck!

Lene

--------------------

Still confused! new
      #138514 - 01/14/05 01:59 PM
Augie

Do you eat like 4 to 5 cans of single servings of veggies in one day? What about fruit? Just those two servings?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Still confused! new
      #138523 - 01/14/05 02:15 PM
LittleFox

Yes, I do eat 4-5 servings of veggies per day. I also have my peaches, applesauce, pears, apricots and mixed fruit per day.

This is worked out over a full day! In other words, When I have my breakfast, I will eat a small container of diced peaches (lite, its its own syrup). A few hours later, I will have my oatmeal and a small container of pears.

you have to incorporate veggies and fruits with meals as well as snacks, that is how I do it. I eat small portions throughout the day and have a container of applesauce or apricots when I get home after dinner.

You will find a way, believe me. I suffered so long from not enough insoluble fiber I thought I would never have a bm. Now I have one every day.

Just keep trying until you find what works for you. You may not need as many veggies as I do. I am IBS-A prone to C. I also have a mitral valve prolapse and the medication for it causes C. That is why my doctor put me on Pericolace, not forever, but for a little while or I will have C up to my neck!!! Not a pretty picture (LOL). Those of us who are IBS-C or proned to C can never get enough insoluble fiber, I found that out the hard way and am trying to help you not suffer as I did.

Just hang in there you will find your click.

Lene

--------------------

#138525 - 01/14/05 02:21 PM
LittleFox

I am glad that I could be of some help.

When I was suffering horribly, the people on this board were my lifesavers. They encouraged me and helped me not to give up!

It does my heart good to know that I brought a bright spot to someone's day. I feel like crying tears of Joy and Thanksgiving.

This is a great board, with many wonderful compassionate people. You will never be lead astray, not on this board.

Keeping you in my prayers

Lene

--------------------

Thanks Lene new
      #138588 - 01/14/05 04:20 PM
Augie

I am afraid of fruits and veggies even though I am so C!!! Maybe I can do more than I am! I'll have to start to think of some better menu planning and start cooking and freezing instead of taking my usual turkey sandwich everyday for lunch. Perhaps cook and freeze some GF pasta and veggie dishes or make some soups.

I looked for some canned rutabagas SP?, canned celery and canned broccoli but couldn't find them anywhere! Where do you get yours?

Also, do you eat white rice or brown? I think I might start trying brown to see if I can get better BM results! But again, I've read so many bad reactions on brown rice, I'm leery.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Thanks Lene new
      #138881 - 01/15/05 03:10 PM
LauraSue

Beth,

I've never seen canned broccoli, but you could buy the frozen broccoli florets in bags and just cook what you want. I used to do that with frozen baby peas, too. And corn, back when I could eat corn (intolerance, not IBS problem).

I love brown rice. Try Uncle Ben's instant, it's not too rough on the tummy. Put a little onion powder and a pinch of basil in it while it's cooking -- yummy!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4748 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3089

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review