Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New user
      #13570 - 07/09/03 12:05 AM
StansAngelXXX

Reged: 07/08/03
Loc: Albany, NY and Hartford, CT

Hi everyone!

I am new to this board and IBS in general. In fact, I am just discovering that there is a whole world out there just like me! I think I suffer from IBS with mostly constipation, sometimes diarrhea. (Gas bubbles determine which kind will afflict me that day) The reason I say "I think" is because I've visited several doctors all who say "it is all in my head" and therefore, do not run tests or prescribe or basically DO anything. And I've felt like this since I was a small child (my mom even said I was on meds as an infant for similar symptoms!) I finally have an appointment with a gastrointerologist/nutritionist who specifically deals with IBS. I can find out if I actually have it. My problem: I am afraid of all of the tests I'll have to go through.... can someone explain to me how these tests feel? I am assuming horrible. Especially test prep- it sounds really gross! I have a horrible gag reflex!

Thanks in advance!
Sarah

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New user new
      #13608 - 07/09/03 09:33 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Sarah and welcome!

Thank goodness you seem to finally have a decent doc lined up...good for you for not sticking with "it's all in your head"! I too was terrified of all the tests, especially the colonoscopy. But, they're really not that bad. Don't get me wrong, there's a zillion other things I'd much rather be doing, but they're bearable.

Let us know which tests are coming up for you as you find out, and we'll all be here to cheer you on for each one. Plus, there's lots of past posts on tests, so you can do a search to get more info that way also.

#13611 - 07/09/03 09:54 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hey there Sarah!

Welcome to the board. Don't be scared of the tests...they're worth it (and not as bad as they sound!)

Sorry about all the stuff you've dealt with in bad doctors...join the club

Anyway, I hope you get the tests done...let us know ho you make out!

Good luck, keep posting

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: New user-One More Thing new
      #13612 - 07/09/03 09:54 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I remembered that on these 2 sites (and I'm sure there's many more) you can look up tests, and there's a section that explains how the test feels.

WebMD Tests Yahoo! Health for the Yahoo! Health, just search the site for the test and it should show up.

Hope these help.

#13625 - 07/09/03 10:38 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Sarah - Don't worry, things probably won't be so bad at all! It's really important that you're finally getting to see a good doc - you should NEVER have been diagnosed with IBS without any tests. That's malpractice.

Since your symptoms have existed since childhood, and especially if you've never had red flag symptoms (fever, joint pain, swelling), you may actually be diagnosed with blood work and no invasive tests. That'll be up to your doc, but it's a possibility, so don't work up too much dread.

Keep us posted!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#13682 - 07/09/03 09:19 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Just to echo what Heather said: I'm 21 and have had IBS symptoms for approximately six years, though they've gotten progressively worse, and at the moment I'm not doing well at all . But anyway, I finally saw a gastroenterologist yesterday, and after listening to my health history, he just took some blood to test for celiac disease and h. pylori (because I've had ulcer symptoms unrelated to IBS), and reminded me of the warning signs that indicate a different condition from IBS (blood in stools, sudden unexplained weight loss, fever + diarrhea), then said, "Yep, you've got IBS," and let me go. So, for me, no colonoscopy etc.--yippee!

Oh, Tess, I didn't know you weren't doing well right now. new
      #13758 - 07/10/03 10:37 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I hope that changes for the better very quickly. Can I do anything for you?

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Oh, Tess, I didn't know you weren't doing well right now. new
      #13786 - 07/11/03 08:14 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I actually know why I'm feeling so badly, and things should smooth out within the next month or so...my job begins in less than two weeks in another state, so I've got to get a car, have my brother and Dad drive down with me and my stuff, get my license down there, get a phone installed, begin work--for work I need a physical and reference letters, for the physical I need the name of my friend's nurse-practitioner and my friend just moved to *another* state...as you can see, my stress level might be a *teensy* bit high right now .

Plus being at home means eating what my parents eat--not always what is safe for me, but sometimes it's just too difficult to stand up for myself, when no one seems to be paying attention! As soon as I'm in my own apartment, in complete control of the food around me, I know I'll feel better.

Sorry to rant and rave, I'm just not quite sure how I'm going to make through the next month or so--wish me luck!

#13792 - 07/11/03 09:31 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Amelia,

I'm SO SORRY you're under so much stress! *hugs* I'm also in the process of moving...it is SO STRESSFUL!

I wish I had magical words for you....I wish you all the best! You deserve everything!

*big hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#13815 - 07/11/03 02:54 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Tess, I know how you feel. Getting settled will help a lot - you're just in a transition right now. Try to relax and enjoy the summer as much as you can. The first year of teaching can be VERY difficult and stressful. Stock your shelves with all your stable comfort foods - you will need them.
I am totally confident that you're going to be a wonderful teacher. The first little while is the worst.
Hang in there,
Love, Han.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#13832 - 07/11/03 07:20 PM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

Hang in there Tess! I too am a teacher and the first year is stressful, and so is moving and all. I agree with a previous e-mailer...keep your kitchen well stocked with safe foods. Also, I have found that it is critical to keep safe foods at school. I also have found it necessary to find another teacher that I trust to tell about my IBS because when I have bad days at work and can't leave the kids alone to run back and forth to the bathroom, she/he can pitch in and watch the kids or find someone who can. You will do a great job!!! Hang in there!!
Leah

#13834 - 07/11/03 07:53 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I've moved so many times that I should be a pro at it, but I always stress out about it. Your life is just turned upside down right now. You will be able to relax once you get settled into a routine and can prepare your own meals. The last time we moved the moving company called to ask me a question and I started sobbing on the phone! I know the man thought I was nuts! I was so embarrassed! Hang in there!

#13856 - 07/12/03 10:56 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Tess,

Sending you positive vibes across the ocean..... hope things settle down soon.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3218 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1487

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review