All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
How do you deal emotionally with having IBS?
      #135320 - 01/05/05 12:17 PM
Niki J

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: UK

Hi Everyone
I am having a hard time not rebelling against my IBS. I don't get it as bad as some people have mentioned they do but if I overeat like tonight, then I get a very loud growling sound in my stomach , feel the need to go to the loo and then get cramps.

I've noticed my IBS has got a lot better recently, in the summer I was very bad and couldnt eat anything without being in a lot of pain. Now its a lot better and I am still taking it for granted.

I used to be a binge eater and now just have the occasional time where I will eat chocolate and then get a bad IBS attack like tonight. I havent even eaten that much of it but it affects me a lot. I dont suppose having a large meal before that helped.

Ive done a lot of what the IBS diet suggests, I dont drink, dont smoke, I dont have fizzy drinks, no red meat, no spicey stuff, no milk/dairy but with chocolate I feel like
Im really missing out if I dont have some.

Im trying to lose weight so that doesnt help, it seems like a big pressure not to be able to eat what I want.

How do you cope mentally whilst following this IBS diet and has anyone here lost any weight doing it?

I'd be grateful for any advice you have for me!
Niki
xxx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How do you deal emotionally with having IBS? new
      #135337 - 01/05/05 12:42 PM
Niki J

Bumping up please, is getting lost in the other posts.
Niki
xxx

#135352 - 01/05/05 12:55 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

Giving up dairy was probably the hardest for me. I guess we reach a point where the pain and discomfort just aren't worth it. It take some folks longer than others.

As far as chocolate cravings I make No Pudge Brownies. I've heard others love the recipe for "Anti Depressant Brownies". Also Soy Ice Creams help satisfy those cravings. In fact my favorite dessert is a warm brownie with a bit of mint marble fudge Soy Delicious "ice cream".

As far as your question about losing weight... I've lost over 60 lbs in the past year and a half. (The brownie sundae isn't going to help in this area) I have about 6 small meals or snacks a day and keep the fat grams to around 30 per day (spread out as evenly as possible).

Hope this helps,
Leigh

#135355 - 01/05/05 12:57 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

It can be difficult sometimes. I also LOVe my chocolate, I'm kinda an m&m freak! I do ok with them if I don't eat them on an empty tummy and don't eat the entire 1 pound bag!

I too, struggle with weight. I used to manage my weight with exercise but with the events of the past 10 months of my life that hasn't been very possible and I've gained a lot of weight. Most of my problem right now is not physically being able to exercise and comfort eating. You CAN and many people HAVE lost weight on this diet. Portion control is a big part of it. Most of the foods are low fat already. Personally, I believe exercise is the key. Try to eat smaller meals more often. This helps with the ibs and binge eating, which I'm prone to do also. Not sure if I helped you any but you are not alone!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#135368 - 01/05/05 01:14 PM
Niki J

Thank you for your replies you help me a lot, it's good to hear from others!
Niki
xxx

Re: How do you deal emotionally with having IBS?-Leigh new
      #135370 - 01/05/05 01:17 PM
Niki J

Quote:

Giving up dairy was probably the hardest for me. I guess we reach a point where the pain and discomfort just aren't worth it. It take some folks longer than others.

As far as chocolate cravings I make No Pudge Brownies. I've heard others love the recipe for "Anti Depressant Brownies". Also Soy Ice Creams help satisfy those cravings. In fact my favorite dessert is a warm brownie with a bit of mint marble fudge Soy Delicious "ice cream".
That sounds so yummy!!!

As far as your question about losing weight... I've lost over 60 lbs in the past year and a half. Wow to 60lbs thats amazing!!! Well done! (The brownie sundae isn't going to help in this area) I have about 6 small meals or snacks a day and keep the fat grams to around 30 per day (spread out as evenly as possible).

Could you possibly share a couple of days worth of meals you have to give me some ideas please???

Thanks so much!!!

#135399 - 01/05/05 01:50 PM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

And then there are the people who lose weight without wanting too...

I'd be one of them.

I've had IBS my entire life, but as most of the people on this board can attest to, it didn't come into "full swing" until I started tenth grade this year. That placed me on Heather's diet, which helped a bit.

Honestly, I've pretty much given up on following the diet exactly. Heck, I'm not stable, and yes, I do feel pain, but my theory is this: Feel good when you eat it, and deal with the consequences without complaints.

Mind you, I just ate a whole lot of salsa and chips, because I was feeling so depressed, and you can bet your bottom that I'm going to be complaining to my friends about it :P

(I used to be 135-140 and was happy at that weight. Now I'm at 115-120, and am NOT happy with it)

#135400 - 01/05/05 01:52 PM
Niki J

Hi
I cant imagine having that problem it seems such a long time ago that I was slim and Im only 24 lol!

I like your theory by the way!
Niki
xxx

#135419 - 01/05/05 02:09 PM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04

I feel the same and find it very hard to accept that I can't eat freely - rebelling is a very good description of my state of mind a lot of the time. I used to be a compulsive eater and one of the most important steps for me in getting out of the bingeing/dieting cycle was to tell myself that I could eat anything I wanted, not restricted by calories or other diet rules but also not driven by food obsessions. So I find it very hard now to accept the restrictions of the IBS diet, even though I know it is for a good reason. It isn't any one particular food for me, just the lack of freedom or spontaneity. Despite this, I have made a lot of changes to my diet and do feel more comfortable most of the time, although still not really great.

Chocolate - as you are in the UK you should be able to get Alpro chocolate flavoured soya milk. It is okay for IBS as it uses cocoa for flavouring and it tastes great, either on cereal (eg Rice Krispies) or heated gently to make a hot drink. Also, Swedish Glace soya based 'ice cream', available in Holland & Barrett and some supermarkets (Tesco?) comes in many flavours including a very good chocolate. Also, I'm sure Heather says somewhere that she eats chocolate regularly, but only after a good SF based meal so that it is safe - so there is hope!

Losing weight - I have lost one pound a week steadily for over two months now. In my dieting days I would have laughed at such a pitifully slow rate of loss, but considering I am not counting calories or making any real effort to lose weight, I have been very pleased about it. I think the main reasons are cutting out a lot of high fat foods and eating smaller meals but more often. I try to go for walks when I can, but I don't follow any regular exercise routine, not yet anyway.

I think trying to lose weight always puts so much pressure on me, that it's only a matter of time before I crash off the diet and right into bingeing/depression/putting weight on again. So for me it's more important to relax a bit about the weight aspect right now and just let it happen. But I do still have an issue with rebelling ...

How long have you been trying Heather's diet? Do you take any SFS? I have a theory that taking SFS - and drinking plenty of water and/or peppermint tea between meals - helps me to eat slightly smaller meals. It's as if I don't feel as 'greedy' as I used to. But also I think some of my 'greed' was actually a response to the pain and discomfort of my IBS, eating more just helped me to numb the feelings ... Deliberate over-eating had been my way of numbing lots of feelings for years, so when IBS came along I just carried on doing the same thing.

Hope some of this helps. It is nice to hear from another ex-binge eater on the boards - I think there are several of us here with experience of eating disorders, so don't worry, you're not alone!

Josephine

NikiJ new
      #135445 - 01/05/05 03:40 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Hi Niki,
I have lost weight on the diet too,about 20lbs which means I went from squeezing into a UK Size 12 to having size 10 loosish on me. I just did it really by sticking rigidly to Heather's diet for a while- I lost the weight unintentionally and in just 8 weeks.

I used to eat a lot of cheese and chocolate.I have only cheated once on cheese since August (on Christmas Day!) and have cheated on chocolate a bit but have not eaten a whole bar (Roses from the tin at work, choccie biscuits) whereas the old me would have eaten at least one bar a day everyday. I also used to be a demon for fizzy drinks.

I am at the stage where if I eat something bad eg cheesecake I know it will hurt my tummy or give me bad wind, so I weigh up the risk, If I want it bad enough to risk then pain then I eat it. The one thing I don't do is cheat on an empty stomach. The three (make that four) Fox's Classic Chocolate Biscuits (70 cal/3g fat per biscuit!)that I ate this evening were after a meal of Turkey Chili and Rice.

I get down about not being able to eat stuff sometimes but am happier to feel better than to be stuffing my face with cheese, y'know I have developed a taste for cheeseless pizza (not from Dominos though, or pizza hut, but from Italian Pizza places...mmm try chicken with peppers and mushrooms, no cheese, its the base sauce that really matters, made me realise how awful some of the base sauces are!)

Hope this is of some help!

--------------------
S.

chocolate new
      #135447 - 01/05/05 03:44 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

my ways of getting around the chocolate craving are:
Coco Pops! (dry in my hand or with milk)
Alpro Chocolate soy dessert (try dunking gingernut biscuits in this, divine)
marshmallows, haribo jellies etc
also I find if I have a fresh juice (raspberry and orange is my favourite) after eating I don't crave chocolate as much at all.

--------------------
S.

#135449 - 01/05/05 03:50 PM
KellyAnn21

Reged: 11/12/04
Loc: PA

I actually asked a similar question a few weeks ago- about gaining the weight. I have been on this diet for about a month and only had one attack!! butI do cheat often. Chocolate usually doesn't bother me all that much, therefore i sometimes eat more of it then I should. I just started exercising because I'm trying to lose weight, so hopefully that'll help. I just need to cut down my portions and calories. You are not alone!!! Good Luck!

Re: chocolate new
      #135563 - 01/06/05 04:14 AM
Niki J

Hi
Thank you all so much for your advice it's good to know Im not alone!
Im going to print off your replies so I can refer to them later! You all had such great ideas and are very inspiring, thank you!
I have got Heathers book out the library again and am going to see what I can buy for meals this week on a tight budget!!
Thanks again
Niki
xxx

#135587 - 01/06/05 07:21 AM
Bre

Reged: 01/05/05
Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA

Hello everyone -
I'm new here, and I've been reading your posts about dealing emotionally with IBS. It is SO NICE to see I'm not alone in this - people without this condition just don't understand the psychological affect this disorder has on you.

I have had IBS now for 5 years, and gradually over the years began to become more of a homebody due to fears of eating in restaurants, not being home when an attack occurs, etc. As you may well know, you only have to be out on the town or in the car once or twice when an attack hits to know you NEVER want that to happen again (although you know it will). I have sort of begun to force myself to do things I'm still a little uncomfortable with, b/c I don't want my stomach problems to hinder my social life. I try not to let it run my life - although I'll be honest, I'm still always more comfortable and relaxed at home.

As for chocolate - I'm so sorry to hear of all of you with problems with it - I'm fortunate that for some reason it doesn't seem to trigger much for me - who knows why. But believe me, I have my other weird trigger foods!! However, I am lactose intolerant and have experimented with soy ice creams. I would recommend the Soy Delicious Chocolate ice cream - they have one with little chocolate chips and fudge in it too for the advid chocolate lover

Also - for those of you who love cheese, like myself...I have grown to LOVE SmartBeat lactose/fat/cholesterol free American cheese. I will warn you - it takes some getting used to and does not taste like regular cheese, but you get used to it and now I love it more than the real thing. To be honest, I'm not sure if it still has some of the dairy properties Heather talks about with the diet, though - like she says, just b/c it's lactose free doesn't mean it'll be ok!

I did lose around 15 pounds in the first couple of months with the IBS, but have since gained it back (and then some) over the last few years. I don't really have weight gain OR loss with IBS, but I feel like I do b/c I have MASSIVE bloating issues with it - sometimes I feel like I'm 4 months pregnant!! That's one of the worst parts for me. I also have acid reflux, so there's just added pressure basically everywhere in my abdomen.

Does anyone else suffer from upper AND lower GI problems? I'd love to talk to you if you do...it's only been in the last 6 months that my upper GI problems have really flared up and are causing all sorts of issues.

Good luck to everyone, and again, it is great to finally have a place to discuss this with others...I've never had that luxury before!!

Bre

Upper AND lower GI problems new
      #135591 - 01/06/05 07:34 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yep, I have. My GERDs is pretty much under control now, I only get flare ups when I've been particularly bad. But I was on Zoton for quite a while with that and still have extra diet limits because of it.

#135695 - 01/06/05 10:31 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It's hard giving up things that you've come to rely on and enjoy. Just think of it in a different way. Instead of imagining that you're giving up chocolate (or any other food)imagine how GOOD it's going to be when you don't have to suffer anymore from eating that stuff. Instead of feeling like you're depriving yourself or missing out on something....try thinking about all emormous benefits you'll get from eating better.

Whenever you get that little voice in your head saying, "give me chocolate" or "feed me a burger" just tell yourself how happy you are not to be eating that stuff because you're gonna feel so much better!!!

Good luck and keep us posted

Response to Niki: Re: How do you deal emotionally with having IBS?-Leigh new
      #136106 - 01/07/05 12:27 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

Niki,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner - I just saw your question back to me.

I have never been a big breakfast fan so I just stick with Rice Chex and soy milk - it safe and easy.

Mid Morning I usually have a piece of zucchini bread or a safe muffing or toast. Sometimes I'll add some applesauce or 1/2 a banana.

Lunch: Turkey or tuna sandwich with baked chips or leftovers from a safe dinner. Most of the time I make extra portions at dinner and freeze them for this purpose.

Afternoon snack: Pretzels, pita chips, 1/2 bagel with 1/2 TBSP of PB and jam, Newman's Own Arrowroot Cookies or other things like this.

Dinner: Chicken Breasts or Turkey Breast made various way always making sure I have pasta, bread, potato, or rice with it. I'm okay with some types of cooked vegies or a very small amount of salad with Newman's Own Light Balsamic Vinagarette Dressing.

Dessert: No Pudge Brownie with soy ice cream. I recently tried the 5 minute pumpkin pie recipe and it turned out great.

I measure the fat in everything and have kept a journal for the past year and a half. It tracks every morsel and every fat gram. I shoot for around 30 grams per day. The highest I've gone is 38. If you attempt to spread those grams throughout your day you will probably do well.

I hope this helps out,
Leigh

#139871 - 01/19/05 08:57 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Hi Niki J (and the others) - your post reminded me of me! Also my name is Nik J and I'm from the UK too, which spooked me!! haha. I too was a binge eater, and it was usually junk esp. chocolate as I believed I was an addict. My IBS started a while ago, but just ignored it, then it got worse through bad diet, illness and just not looking after myself. After I found Heather's site I felt free again, as before my whole world collapsed when the doctor said, no more fat, no more chocolate and no more cheese! This is what I was existing on for the last few years! but...the diet I'm on now, even though I haven't quite perfected it, is working like a charm! I'm still in the habit of binging, but not too much as I really suffer the consequences (gas etc!). It is a really big deal emotionally, so can completely feel for everyone here! I lost lots of weight, and the doctor isn't very sympathetic - but peppermint tablets (Equilon Herbal - available in the UK) coupled with digestive enzymes help loads...

I've gabbled enough and hope that this helps as well as the other posts!

Nik J!

Re: chocolate new
      #139873 - 01/19/05 08:59 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

hi Cailin,
I have found Alpro Soy Chocolate milk, but didn't know about the gingernut dunking! I am totally going to be trying this tonight!!!! Thanks for that tip!

It's Easy new
      #140060 - 01/19/05 02:00 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Niki:

I suffered with terrible painful attacks for 45 years of my life without knowing or understanding that I had IBS. A couple of doctors along the way (in my 30s) told me I had IBS, but they didn't explain what it was or what to do for it. Consequently I continued to go through life thinking I had a unique, mystery illness.

Adding insult to injury, my friends nicknamed me "allergy girl" because I was forever avoiding different foods in an effort to try and figure out what food it was that was putting me in pain and "bothering my stomach." I used to tell people I had food allergies since I had no better explanation for the attacks.

I remember once 25 years ago (when I was 20) driving home after work doubled over in total agony due to yet another attack. I remember praying to God that if he would only let me know what I had, I would do anything -- absolutely anything -- to avoid the attacks.

Over the years I became so sick that at times I subsisted on miserable, limited diets.

At one point I was so sick that for an entire year I ate nothing but soup made with boiled chicken, carrots and parsley. I ate this for breakfast, lunch and dinner and I dropped to a scary 74 pounds -- and I was still getting the attacks.

It wasn't until May 2003 that I happened to stumble onto Heather's IBS website. I was totally shocked! The website described exactly what I had (in fact I was a textbook case). Even more miraculous is that Heather's website offered a diet to help control IBS!

Do I have emotional problems dealing with the fact I have IBS? No. Not at all. I don't care at all about the foods I can't eat.

I am just eternally grateful that I now know exactly what I have (a gastro-intestinal specialist has recently confirmed the IBS diagnosis) and that I have found a diet that keeps me attack-free and pain-free and that has enabled me to add variety into my diet and to now be a healthy 85 pounds.

My friends no longer call me "allergy girl." I now have some self-esteem because I have a name for what I have. Most importantly, I now possess the precious knowledge of how to control it.

For me, the rest is easy.

Belinda

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6044 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4536

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review