All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
When will the SFS wear off?
      #134083 - 01/01/05 03:15 AM
RnbwConnection78

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Bensalem, PA (right outside of Philadelphia)

I stopped taking the SFS after my morning dose on Thursday. I have been having explosive D since the day after I started it. Everything I eat is making me so terribly sick. I am still having a lot of D. Do you think this is just a flare up or is the SFS still working? When will it go away?

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: When will the SFS wear off? new
      #134088 - 01/01/05 03:56 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It sounds to me like you're having a flareup. I had a lot of problems from the first SFS I took (Citrucel), and when I quit it, I was back to normal within a day or two. Sorry you're feeling so crappy (hah, sorry ) - hope you feel better *really* soon!

#134111 - 01/01/05 07:56 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hey there...this sounds familiar...I tried the acacia over a month ago and I am mainly ibs C...I had the worst D EVER!! The worst nausea...the worst IBS basically! I stuck with it for four days and then couldn't cope anymore...felt better within 24-48 hours...I would try a different one..your reaction is not meant to be that extreme. hope you feel MUCH better soon.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#134114 - 01/01/05 08:05 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I agree with Dalia. I think you were taking Benefiber right? A lot of people can't handle the guar gum. Perhaps Citrucel, fibercon, or acacia would be better? Or Equalactin for now. A lot of people have reported success for that one when they are experiencing attacks. It seems to calm them down. It is too expensive as a maintainence SFS but maybe it will help your body get used to an SFS and then you could handle a different one for maintenance later. GL.

I too am trying to find an SFS that my body will tolerate. I am SO C, that I feel I need something to help even if I get bloating and gas. Right now I am experimenting with FiberChoice, also citrucel and always a few equalactin a day for safety.

Do a search on equalactin to see what others have said about it. Sound positive for others.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Daliatree-question for you new
      #134115 - 01/01/05 08:08 AM
Augie

Did you ever go back to another SFS after your bad Acacia experience? If not, how do you manage the C without SFS? Is it possible? I have big problems with SFS but everytime I try going without, I can't have a BM.

What's your secret? Please share your story!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Daliatree-question for you new
      #134155 - 01/01/05 11:09 AM
daliatree

hey there!
well, i haven't tried a new SFS and don't intend to in the near future...my ibs is slowly improving and i am managing the c with my diet...I get C if I have too much white stuff (white bread, crackers and rice) so I balance with brown rice, and my sandwiches are half white bread, half wholewheat...I try to eat lots of vegies, mainly cooked, with carbs...I am by no means in perfect shape, but certainly better then I was...and the acacia experience kind of scared me, that D I got was AWFUL!! I always hoped to manage my IBS with my diet and not rely on supplements because I personally think it is better that way..but of course everyone is different, and if I was offered a magic pill I would be taking a million of them a day!
I went off the pill a few months ago and am hoping that this slight improvement I am feeling is due to that, I find exercise is VERY important with ibs c...uhhmm...what else...thats it!

--------------------

#134161 - 01/01/05 11:21 AM
Augie

Do you use a bakery bread, or a store bought brand? I guess it wouldn't matter for me, though since I do GF and all that stuff is made of white rice flour. Could be part of my C problem as I have the rice bread and rolls every day. Also, could you recommend some types of exercise that are good for C, or do you just walk? Kind of cold to walk now a days!

I think you may be right about going off the pill.

I am scared of brown rice and wheat in general! But I would love to manage this with no SFS! But like you said, if there were a pill to take, I'd be first in line, well probably way back in line, as I'm sure the line would be quite long When are these docs going to get their butts moving on this IBS treatment? They say nothing is even expected to be out for years.

Oh, one more question. What veggies do you find most helpful for C? Do you do carrots, squash, mushrmooms...

--------------------
~ Beth

#134192 - 01/01/05 01:58 PM
daliatree

hey I was gluten free for a few years and then realised i only get discomfort if i eat too much wheat, so i bake cakes and stuff with rice flour sometimes to ease the gluten load.
i buy fresh bakery bread ( I am passionate about nutrition so really avoid junk, and the store ones are full of junky stuff) where I can know exactly what is in it. I would say that the rice stuff is clogging you up.
do you enjoy baking? because if you do, you can yourself little rice flour loaves/cakes with a mixture of brown rice flour and white rice flour...I find if I bake with too much brown rice flour it makes my poos a little too loose when they finally decide to emerge!
exercise: allll exercise helps - yoga, walking, cross trainer, sit ups...it alllll helps...I do a mixture of all of them.
I TOTALLY relate to the 'being scared of the brown stuff'...just as I was reading your reply I was eating a sandwich with half white and half wholewheat bread and I got a flashback to a few months ago when wholewheat just terrified me...and brown rice. start gently, with a half half combination and move from there...be gentle with yourself,...but remember the brown varieties are also more nutritious, which means stronger immunity etc
vegies; squash, carrots, pumpkin, green beans, asparagus (but not too much - gasy), raw baby tomatoes, avocadoes,potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, cooked spinach...
I also can tolerate quite a bit of fat thankfully and I find olive oil and nut butters help me to keep regular...but I would never go near anything deep fried,...the thought of it terrifies me!
I would def consider going off BC pills if you suspect they could have something to do with the ibs deterioating.
good luck!!

--------------------

#134215 - 01/01/05 03:33 PM
Augie

Thanks for all the info Dalia. You certainly are going into the right profession as you practice what you preach.

I wonder if I could go back on gluten too and just use the flours to "light the load" as you say. I'll have to think about doing a gluten challenge.

One more question for now, I promise, do you do the avocados and tomatoes raw? Or fruit raw? Do you think doing them raw would be more helpful for C than cooked? Although raw is yet another fearful challenge!

--------------------
~ Beth

#134218 - 01/01/05 03:58 PM
daliatree

hahahha raw is certainly something i was and still am frightened of...the thought of salad leaves still terrifies me!! but i eat about 5 cherry tomatoes in a sandwich with raw avocado (about a 1/3rd of an avocado in one sitting)...and thats my raw vegies. I now eat apples without the peel, bananas, mangoes, nectarines and peaches without the peel, and want to try pears...I still have a lot of cooked fruit though!
were you diagnosed as celiac? what made you go gluten free in the first place?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 199 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2101

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review