All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Heating Pad Nightmare
      #13406 - 07/07/03 05:16 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

Today when I was eating in the afternoon I started smelling something horrible and didn't know what it was. I had my heating pad on my tummy and I was moving it and saw it was on fire! It burned a hole through my shirt and my stomache and arm almost caught on fire! I threw it down and pour water on top to put the fire out completely. Any suggestions what I should use now? I can't use a water bottle. It's too heavy and gets cold fast.
I used the heating pad properly by the way. God saved me.

Thanks
God Bless

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heating Pad Nightmare new
      #13416 - 07/07/03 08:39 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Get large sock and fill it with white rice (DRY not cooked!!!) Tie off the end, or sew it up. Then just microwave it for 60 seconds or so until it's hot but not on fire! I've been doing this for years, it's great for neck aches etc. too.
Dan

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#13422 - 07/07/03 09:34 PM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

The rice in the sock idea is a good one. If you rather buy something that is made to be used as a heating pad or ice pad you should check out www.grampasgarden.com They have amazing natural products including the hot natural therapy pack. They have a nice aromatherapy quality and feel amazing on an aching gut. I have the heart shaped one (which has a cinnamon smell that is soothing for the gut). I wouldn't trade it for anything!

They also see great essential oils for aromatherapy. I use lavender for calming and spice for "Warming to muscles, antispasmodic, stomach cramps" Perfect for IBS...

Anyway, I am glad YOU didn't catch fire and you hadn't fallen asleep with it on. Hope this info is helpful to you!

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

#13548 - 07/08/03 05:33 PM
till

Great info. Thanks so much.
God Bless

#13560 - 07/08/03 07:56 PM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I use a "magic bag". It's a bag of something like rice that you can either microwave or put into the freezer. They come in two sizes. A nice square one that goes nice on the tummy or back and a long rectangular one that goes around the neck quite nicely. I am in Canada so I don't know if these are exclusively found here but they sure are nice. They heat up in about 1 min 45 sec and then stay warm for about 10 minutes for good heat. After that you do need to let them cool down before reheating. I have three! They are a nice safe alternative to heating pads and much lighter than water bottles. My daughter likes to sleep on one when her ears are hurting. Not to mention other muscle aches. They are found in most drug stores up here. You might even be able to find them online.

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

#13745 - 07/10/03 05:14 PM
till

I actually have one but it gets cold way too fast and it's so heavy. My stomach is very very sensitive.
Thanks anyway though.

#13746 - 07/10/03 05:16 PM
till

I was wondering how long the heart shaped heat pac stays hot for since I might have to get one.
Thanks.

#13747 - 07/10/03 05:18 PM
till

I actually tried this today and it stayed warm for like a min. Thanks anyway though.

#13750 - 07/10/03 07:54 PM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

Not sure if you were still wondering about the heart shaped heating pad...It does go in the microwave (for 1-2 mins, not longer or it will be TOO hot) It will stay hot for about 10 mins and warm for another 20 mins. The aromatherapy is an added benefit too They do have other sizes, I am not sure if a larger one would hold the heat longer. I use it for cramps, headaches, muscles aches...As I said, I love it! Good luck, I hope you find something that works well for you!

Johanna

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

Re: Heating Pad Nightmare
      #13877 - 07/13/03 05:18 PM
till

I actually was wondering how long it stays hot for. That's good that it stays hot for 10min. and warm for 20min. I have to get it one of these days.
Hopefully soon. Thanks so much
I apreciate it.
God Bless

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4778 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1939

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review