Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Still no diagnosis, still sick and getting worse -- help! (long post) new
      #135557 - 01/06/05 03:05 AM
kateL

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: Camano Island, WA

Judith,
Thanks for your reply. I am now waiting for a result of a gallbladder ultrasound and not real concerned about it just due to the fact that I have been through this sooo many times. I think in my opinion and as an individual working in the medical field that there has not been enough research done to understand this disorder or syndrome. I feel like everytime myself or others I know have gone to a doc with IBS symptoms that after a few test and weak advice they just throw up their hands. So once again I am hoping that maybe something will fix this but I am realistic and also doing the diet and hypno CDs. So far the diet has seemed to help the pain but still have the D. So keep hanging in there.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Still no diagnosis, still sick and getting worse -- help! (long post) new
      #135600 - 01/06/05 08:04 AM
The Cat Whisperer

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

I was diagnosed with D-IBS a about 3 1/2 years ago, I was on imodium (3/day) for about 2 & 1/2 years with paxil to relieve stress. I actually started out only needing 1 immodium a day but the D got worse ove the next 6 months so that i required 3, i've never requirted more than that, and was stable at 3 for the next couple of years. I eventually went off Paxil, completly freeing myself from it in october, but in late november my IBS seemd to subside for a few weeks & then came back with a vengence. I was recently (today actually) put on Celexa, and have reduced the imodium intake by a half by taking the fiber supplements which seem to be working most of the time (except ofcorse last night ).

I have never felt quite satisfied with my diagnoses of IBS, my symptoms DO match for the most part as i understnd them:
- Chronic D (controlled by imodium & fiber)
- mild pain in abdomen, relieved entirely by evacuation.
- gassiness, mucus in stool at times.
But I only had a few tests done (blood/urine/FOB & Barium X-Ray (lower)). My stupid brain won't let that be enough to make me be sure it IS ibs & only ibs... My doc won't schedule anything else unless other symptoms show that conflict with the IBS diagnoses, not that I blame him, I certainly do not want to take up time on a machine or from a lab that someone else may need more, but I do want peace of mind.

My doc thinking that I have IBS, just isn't enough.. I get frustraited about not knowing for sure, not knowing if it MIGHT be Crohn's or something else, though the X-ray came back fine (3 years ago). Add on top of this that I have a General Anxiety disorder which just makes me worry all the time (hence the paxil/celexa)...

I know others out there suffer like i do & worse, and my heart goes out to them. I hope someday there will be a miracle drug/therapy to make us all better... Until then, this site & the information & people that contribute to it have been an anchor that helps me get through the days. Thank you.

/c

--------------------
Christien Lomax (TheCatWhisperer)
thecatwhisperer@gmail.com
http://www.thecatwhisperer.net

Re: Judith-about that elimination diet..... new
      #135732 - 01/06/05 11:16 AM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Wow--that is interesting. Does kind of explain why the elimination program was so frustrating. Too bad this is all so complex and tricky.

I was on a rotation diet for a while at one point, and that was helpful. It might kind of fit in with what you're saying about thresholds. Foods are grouped into 4 categories (as I recall, they are food families with related chemical structure). You eat from group 1 on day 1, then group 2 on day 2, etc. You just continue to rotate the food families. The idea is that you don't overload your system with any one thing. This is often advised for people with a lot of food allergies. It seemed helpful, but it was very complex to figure out what to eat all the time. At the time I was on it, I traveled a lot for business, and I just couldn't keep up with the diet.

I know what you mean about practically getting malnutrition. My digestive problems have, I think, created a sort of eating disorder. There have been times when I just couldn't figure out what to eat, so I didn't eat at all. Now I try to eat as healthfully as possible, avoiding foods I feel may be triggers, and just accepting that I will probably have D no matter what.

I too feel like life sometimes revolves around what to eat, where the nearest bathroom is, and how comfortable or uncomfortable I am. I am trying to go ahead with a "normal" life as much as possible; I don't want to miss out on all the good stuff just because my gut is so problematic! But it is hard to always have this overriding feeling of not being well, not being in control of my physical being, and not knowing when I'll have to give up a planned activity or responsibility because I'm too sick.

I appreciate your insights and encouragement.

Thanks,
Judith

Re: Debbie57-questions on your GB removal new
      #137909 - 01/12/05 09:56 PM
Debbie57

Reged: 10/24/04

I don't regret having my GB out. Actually I have always been an IBS-A....and that hasn't changed. One thing that did improve drastically was the nausea. Used to be incredibly bad, barely functioning at times...it was awful. That has improved somewhat, so in that way, yes, I'm glad I had it out. Does that help at all? Debbie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1284 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5171

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review