Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anti-Depressant meds for IBS -A people
      #133556 - 12/29/04 10:18 AM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Hey everyone,

I have IBS-A. My stomach is sooo sensitive either way. I am in desperate need of an anti depressant/anxiety medication. When I was on Elavil I had serious constipation. The doctor has now put me on Zoloft and I am already having stomach issues that I can see will lead to Diarrhea here pretty soon. What success have you IBS-Ars had with anti-depressants. What has worked best for you?

Thanks so much,

Dana

--------------------
Dana

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

very good question new
      #133627 - 12/29/04 01:25 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

IBS A is the worst isn't it? There is pretty much nothing you can do since everything is either for D or C!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: very good question new
      #133636 - 12/29/04 01:33 PM
DanaNoel

I know, it's horrible. I almost feel like where ADs are concerned, I should just pick a side that is the most troubeling for me, either D or C and take the AD that control that.

By the way - I looooove that cat! But I'm thinkin' he might want to lay off the cat treats for awhile

--------------------
Dana

I think the cat just has really bad bloating new
      #133643 - 12/29/04 02:10 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

like this dog.

I think you would regret picking a side. After all I wouldn't wish for more D OR C. I tried Zelnorm and Zoloft and both made me worse. I know it is so depressing!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: I think the cat just has really bad bloating new
      #133702 - 12/29/04 07:12 PM
DanaNoel

maybe the dog and the cat would benefit from a little fennel tea. I hear it works wonders for that type of thing

--------------------
Dana

Re: Anti-Depressant meds for IBS -A people new
      #133705 - 12/29/04 07:49 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm an A, and I've been on Lexapro (10mg) since September. I LOVE IT. I did have D as a side effect for the first few weeks, but after that, I've had no problems. It's wiped out a lot of my anxiety and panic attacks, and greatly lessened my IBS symptoms because of that. It definitely hasn't been a "cure", but it's been a big help... and WELL worth putting up with the side effects for the first few weeks.

Re: Anti-Depressant meds for IBS -A people new
      #133777 - 12/30/04 08:36 AM
DanaNoel

Thanks for your reply. I have a friend on Lexapro 10mg as well andshe SWEARS by it. My psych has me on zoloft right now. I took a small amount of it (25mg a full dose is 50mg) and I definitely felt the effects on my tummy right away. I have heard to just give it a couple of weeks and those symptoms should go away.

thanks again!

--------------------
Dana

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2197 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 849

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review