Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Kinda freaked out: Please Help If You Can
      #133472 - 12/29/04 12:18 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi all,
I'm suffering really badly with my stomach since I got back to Canada, and I've been able to deal with it pretty well until today I have been getting some weird symtoms I've never really had before and it's freaking me out (Warning: Gross Details Ahead).
So I haven't had a solid BM since my return to Canada (on the 8th of December) and it has been getting worse and worse, it seems like.
This morning, I got up and I felt really yucky in my lower stomach/toush area.. really gurgly and rumbly and stuff.. So I went to a Yoga Class for the first time (it was really nice, not strenuous at all) and as soon as it finished, I felt like I really had to run to the loo. So I went to the building bathroom and instead of having a BM, this.. yellow-y stuff just sorta fell out of me.. then it was over.. But I didn't know what it was. So I got home, and that happened twice again.. both not very much.. Then I had an actual BM, but with the yellow-y thin stuff mixed in.
Then I went out and had a MAJOR D attack with bad bad bad cramping and stuff. Then I had a few more attacks. So I drank sooo much water and tea, but then every time I had to go pee.. this watery yellow stuff was still coming out of me even if I didn't feel like going before I went into the bathroom.
I had a D attack yesterday at the mall so I took an immodium late yesterday afternoon, so that would usually make me alright until at least the next night.. but it was sooo bad.
I have also been having pains in my back and sides, like I do when I get period pains and today while I was having the bad attacks, I was _really_ nauseous.
I've also had a terrible cold and my first ever yeast infection - it has not been fun being me!
If you know what's going on with my BMs, I'd appreciate any advice.. I had some rice and a rice crispy square earlier and even though most of the urgency has gone, it is still happening every time I go pee and I can't figure out what is happening.
Thanks!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Kinda freaked out: Please Help If You Can new
      #133475 - 12/29/04 04:31 AM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

I think that you should make an appt. to see the dr and explain your situation and the new symptoms that you've been experiencing. They'll probably run stool samples and be able to tell you what the yellow stuff is.

#133477 - 12/29/04 05:16 AM
dmiller

Reged: 12/20/04
Loc: VA, USA

Is it possible you have a kidney infection, where is your back pain? If it's in the upper right area you may have one. I know when I have a blatter infection I have really bad cramps (like period) and lower back pain, I would get it checked out ASAP, my sister just spent 4 days in the hospital for a really bad kidney infection. Not sure about the yellow stuff, could possibly be gall blatter and not kidneys.

I would say this would be close to a emergency to having it check out. If you can't get into the doctors then I would go to an urgent care center or ER if it's still going on.

Just my 2 cents.
Debra

#133483 - 12/29/04 06:31 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hi Steph,

Well that's no fun at all. Is it possible you have a stomach virus or food poisoning?

I agree with the others and I would either go to the emergency or to your doctor's TODAY.

Poor you. I was hoping being back in Canada would help you.

Please go see a doctor ASAP and let us know what it is. It dosn't sound like IBS to me because of the yellow stuff?

#133486 - 12/29/04 06:40 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

I agree with what everyone else has said - go see a doctor and get some tests. Just because we are all used to having bad tummies because of IBS a lot of the time, we may too easily miss something totally non-IBS related. This sounds to me more like gastric flu/food poisoning. So if it continues more than 24 hours, go to the doctor. As always with diarrhoea, drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration! Eat dry toast or something similar - but keep it very plain. And get plenty of rest!

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Josephine

I agree with everyone else, Stephie and hope that you feel better soon! -nt- new
      #133514 - 12/29/04 07:57 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

--------------------
- Jennifer

#133553 - 12/29/04 10:12 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hey sweetie..I saw your post on the living room...big hugs...sounds like you are passing mucous to me (I still have to read what others have said to you to make sure)...steph...are you on the pill? if so, how long have you been on it?

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: Stephie honey.... new
      #133594 - 12/29/04 12:19 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

First lets get calmed down, I am afraid you are scared to death by now. The yellow stuff is most probably mucous, I suffer with it now and again. Here lately I have really suffered with it, and I think it is coming from all the foods that I am eating (unsafe stuff). I am not sure if this will work for you, but I take imodium when it gets so out of control that I can't stand it, and it will stop.

You also could have a virus or even the flu. Though I really think the mucous has nothing to do with that. Are you having fever? Chills?, if so you should go on in to the dr. and get yourself checked out. My gut makes those loud gurgling noises and usually nothing else happens.

I hope you are feeling better soon girl, let us know.

#133595 - 12/29/04 12:20 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi Steph,
Not sure if you've been able to talk with a doctor about this or not yet, but here's my thoughts...
As others have mentioned, this may be mucus, but I'm not sure from the way you've described it. While it's never a good sign to pass mucus, it's not a HUGE concern that something is HORRIBLY wrong. If you are passing small amounts of mucus (like a teaspoon or two at most) it means that your system is distressed and your muscles in your GI tract going a little nuts from all the spasms associated with having D. It's not good when this happens, but it should clear up once you get the D under control, so if you think that's what's going on, then concentrate on the D and the mucus will subside with it.
However, if we're talking larger quantities of stuff or if you think it's something with a consistency that is entirely different from mucus then this could point to something else and that's where your doctor should be giving you more advice. Something could be going wrong with your liver, but there would be other indicators that would immediately let the doctor know if that's the case and they'll be able to treat it.
On the kidney infection suggestion, lemme tell ya', if you had a kidney infection you would know it! I've had two and both landed me in the hospital with a RAGING fever and horrible pain - you would know this was NOT IBS and there would be no doubts on it. So unless you have a fever, I wouldn't worry about that one too much.
Most of all, I'll tell you in general, try to take this slowly and not get yourself worked up about it - I know that sounds a bit lame to say when you're having so many problems right now and I'm in no way tryint to make light of that, but the more stressed you get about it the more difficult it will be for you to start getting better. I'm sure the yoga and hypnotism is good to relax, so just make sure you get enough of that kind of stuff and remember that you will get better - I remember when you were stable - I know it's hard for you to remember that but focus on it - I have to do that all the time myself as every attack seems to cancel out the hard work to have good days, I guess the bad ones show up more vividly, but we have to focus on the good days and there WILL be more of them.
Feel better Steph.
Let us know how all this turns out.
Mindy

The pill new
      #133611 - 12/29/04 12:54 PM
Stephie

Hiya,
Thanks for the reply.. yeah, things have been kinda yucky lately. Oh well!
I am on the pill, I've been on it for about 4 years now -- I've been on the one that I am currently on for just under 2 years.
Why do you ask?
I was thinking mucous too, as I've read that other people have that, but I never have so I wasn't sure... and I don't really know what it looks like...I have a doctor's appointment Friday, so I will talk to her about it then.
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Kidney Infection new
      #133617 - 12/29/04 01:01 PM
Stephie

Hiya,
Thanks for the response.. I don't think it's a kidney infection, I had one in February and it too landed me in the hospital with a fever and shakes and stuff - it was horrible! But there was no yellow stuff in the toush region and the pain was different.. I just don't know what to make of all this!!
I have a doctor's appointment until Monday, and I can wait it out until then but I have very little faith in my doctor, she likes to rope all my symptoms into IBS and she makes me feel stupid when I try and tell her new symptoms or anything.. I will maybe take boyfriend along to be more assertive.
I woke up today with major stomach pains and am still getting cramps in my back, I just feel confused now. If I end up with the same yellow stuff (have avoided the loo so far today), I may go to a clinic just to get to see someone faster who doesn't know I have IBS so will actually have to look into it.
Thanks for the help, I'll let you know!
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

#133621 - 12/29/04 01:08 PM
Stephie

Hi Gayla,
Thanks for the reply - yeah, I am kinda getting freaked out. The thing that bothers me the most is that I know that if I do force myself into the doctor's office, she'll probably dismiss me right away and if it is something else, I'll have to end up in the emergency room or something like I did in February with a kidney infection.
The thing that stumps me about the diarhea/mucous (if that's what it is, I'm not sure) is that I did take an immodium the early evening the day before which usually stops me up for at least 24 hours.. and if I do go, it is really solid for at least one motion. It could be the food I am eating, I have had some unsafe food over Christmas but nothing I haven't had before without problems.. but I guess that might just mean I was lucky the other times!
I think maybe it could be a flu, and I have been suffering with cold symptoms for over a week now. I don't have a fever, though. I woke up today with major stomach pains and the aches in my back are getting worse it feels like.
Like I said in another post, I might go to a clinic later today if it gets worse.
And can I guess ask you a gross question? I've never had mucous before, so.. what does it look like?
I'll let you know if anything changes!
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

#133652 - 12/29/04 02:44 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

OK, I hate that mucous. It is gel-like, sticky, and comes out whenever it gets ready to and there is nothing I have ever been able to do to stop it!

I usually have it when I am eating bad things, unsafe things.

I sure hope you are feeling better very soon sugar!!

Re: Mucous new
      #133653 - 12/29/04 02:59 PM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Someone posted a while back (sorry can't remember who) that mucous is a sign of inflammation - which makes sense if you think of what causes increased nasal mucous etc. I get it quite often, but not much at a time, usually with gas, usually first thing in the morning. It doesn't hurt but annoys me because it means my insides are not happy ... I think it is worse if I eat too much fat, but that may be different for other people. I don't think you could confuse it with D, but they could be mixed together (it just gets better and better, doesn't it?!)

Of course, all of this could be totally different for you! I agree with Gayla's description, it is definitely jelly-like, either clear, yellow or brown.

Are you able to follow the "what to eat when ... diet" at the moment? Sounds like you really need some TLC right now. Take care and tell us how you feel later.

Josephine

Re: The pill new
      #133656 - 12/29/04 03:11 PM
daliatree

hey steph
I know we are all different buuttt...I was on the pill for five years and in the last year and a half on it (I went off it three months ago) I started to get constant vaginal infections (sorry guys), sex drive was disappearing fast AND it happened to coincide with my IBS getting drastically worse...I am now off it and the IBS is getting slowly but surely better...now, that could be for so many other reasons, but I went off the pill to rule it out. I really feel that the pill is very good for those women that have problems with bad periods naturally, but I've always had great, unintrusive regular periods and when you said yeast infection etc I started to wonder if you get them often...have you ever considered trying to go off...is there any correlation between your ibs and when you went on the pill?
hope the mucousy stuff is getting better...sounds so traumatic you poor thing...hugs

--------------------

Daliatree new
      #133671 - 12/29/04 04:18 PM
Stephie

Hullo again!
I always wonder about birth control.. like, my IBS was fine when I _first_ went on the pill, but when I was in the UK and had to _change_ pills, it got a heck of a lot worse.. but then again, there were so many other factors that could have been what made it worse, but I was always curious.
This is the first yeast infection I've ever had, but I have had a few bladder infections in the past year... although I always thought they were just 'cause of s-e-x

I had a big melt down earlier today 'cause I am just so tired of feeling crappy all the time. I had what I _definitely_ know is mucous and it had blood in it twice, so I am a bit more worried now. Oy. My boyfriend is definitely coming to the doctor with me, and if she doesn't help we are going to go straight to a clinic.
Thanks for the suggestions, I will ask about maybe changing birth control to see if that makes a difference.. if that doesn't work, i will have to think about going off of it.. but I'm very scared of babies!!
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Daliatree new
      #133680 - 12/29/04 05:00 PM
daliatree

hey steph..well what I found out after lots of reading is that the body can gradually become intolerant to the pill (long term use can create certain nutrient deficiencies etc)..thats what happened with me...once you are off it takes a few months to get a regular cycle again, but I believe you are at the stage now where I was this summer - where you need to remove all potential ibs creators - I would suggest trying to go off...just because. and I have a great suggestion of alternative contraception (special condoms that feel amazing for the guy and girl!)
good luck with the doctor, its important to get this yellow stuff checked out...hugs

--------------------

#133732 - 12/30/04 04:59 AM
dmiller

Hi Daliatree,

I've been thinking of going off of BC too, but like Steph am affraid of having another child (already have two boys), what are these amazing condoms that you are using? I'm in the US too, so should be able to get them.

Thanks,
Debra

#133737 - 12/30/04 05:44 AM
daliatree

Well some people get grosed out by them...and they are pretty pricey (but its worth it to us to make the investment!), they are called 'lambskins' made by the trojan company and are made from lamb intestine I think (mainly marketed at people allergic to latex)...however they really feel amazing. Hubby totally tolerates them. We don't buy them in the pharmacy because there are almost double the price then buying them on amazon.com and having them shipped! they really are worth it.
After my experience of going off BC I would advise it to anyone that is suffering from anything chronic..I had so many changes in myself, my moods...all for the best..yes my skin has a few more zits but I don't care...my husband never wants me to go back on it seeing the change in me...
since you have already had babies, would you consider the coil as a form of contraception? its pretty reliable...

--------------------

mucous new
      #133742 - 12/30/04 06:20 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I hate this disgusting, messy side effect! I often can't control it...just comes out when I expel gas. Gross, I know! Sorry if TMI!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#133769 - 12/30/04 08:12 AM
dmiller

What is the coil?

My husband is planning, at some point, to get "fixed", but you know how that goes. There is always that lingering doubt, what if we want another one, although I don't want to have a child past the age I'm at now, so unless we were to get prego this year I wouldn't want another.

I've heard of the lamb skin ones, but have never tried them, if I go off BC I will definitely give them a try, doc told me that if I continue to have stomach cramps, ect... that I should go off of the pill because that may be the culprit.

Thanks,
Debra

Re: The pill new
      #133793 - 12/30/04 08:56 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Stephie,

So sorry to hear that you are doing so bad right now. I was like you 2 years ago and the thing that brought me out of my worst ibs ever was a pregnancy! I'm talking total remission. I would consider having another just to be able to eat cheese for another 9 months! Seriously though,of course you shouldn't risk that if you don't want a baby right now, but what about other methods? It may be a good trade off if it could give your stomach some relief. I did awful on the pill. D everyday and I tried several kinds. I finally settled on an iud which makes the periods very heavy, but I that was only about 2 days per 6 week cycle that it bothered me, so I was willing to live with it. Keep us updated. I really do care what happens to you!

Laura

#133991 - 12/31/04 10:02 AM
KellyS

Reged: 10/19/04

I have never had this experience, but just wanted to offer some comfort to you. I too have had times where too many things are going on physically and it can be very depressing. Most important, do anything that makes you relax b/c if not, you will just cause a viscious cycle. Eat a lot of hot, plain rice and tea if it has been tolerated in the past. Slowly build yourself back to normal and see your doc in the meantime just to make sure you have an accurate diagnosis. Try to think about the fact that you will eventually feel better.

Good Luck

Daliatree- question about lambskin condoms new
      #134519 - 01/02/05 11:08 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Hi Daliatree! I was really interested in what you said about the pill and using condoms. I keep wondering if the pill could be contributing to IBS, and my new doctor actually told me recently that many women become lactose intolerant while on the pill (isn't it lovely all the things they don't tell you about BC before you go on it?), so I would really like to go off since have been on it for ~ 3 1/2 years. I REALLY don't want to get pregnant, however, and I was wondering if you worry about the condom breaking. That has always been my main concern about condoms, cuz then if they break you have to get EC and it makes you VERY sick to your stomach . Just wondering...Thanks!

--------------------
~Angela

Re: Daliatree- question about lambskin condoms - reply! new
      #134526 - 01/03/05 04:37 AM
daliatree

hey there!! I actually felt the pill was fine for me for the first few years but got sooo intolerant to it from a gynecological perspective and my ibs got very bad at the same time! I would definetly go off it if I were you...its not fair that you should suffer so much just in order to avoid pregnancy..there are many other ways, if you are thorough, to avoid pregnancy too. What is EC (morning after pill?) if it is - they are much better these days, although of course, NOT an ideal way to control pregnancy. The condom has never broken with us, and we are also excited for me to begin a regular cycle that I can track so we can start checking when I ovulate and avoid that day. My husband does NOT want to have a baby at all right now, although I am very happy not to, but also happy to get pregnant unexpectedly...so I understand your predicament. There are many forms of contraception out there...experiment with them...but please don't suffer from the pill needlessly!

--------------------

Re: Daliatree- question about lambskin condoms - reply! new
      #135867 - 01/06/05 05:23 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Thanks for your reply! Sorry I didn't see it until now since I kinda forgot and then someone else posted something about the pill...EC is the morning after pill and I'm just scared to take it, but tracking your cycle is a good idea too! Maybe I could also try something else...Thanks again!!

--------------------
~Angela

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 837 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5199

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review