All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
help please
      #133380 - 12/28/04 11:58 AM
dnctla89

Reged: 12/24/04

Hello all,
I am new here and still trying to get the hang of all this. I am a bit unsure of some things and hoped someone could help. Like for instance, Soy is a soluble fiber right? So does that mean I can drink Soy milk by itself? And you aren't supposed to eat fruit by itself but does that exclude the soluble ones like the banana? Just needing to make sure....thanks for any info you can share!

dnctla89

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: help please new
      #133403 - 12/28/04 02:16 PM
jamiep

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Arroyo City Texas USA

Dear dnctla89,

Don't think I'm the person to answer this question. I'm new too and am wading through with the help of much smarter people than I. I just didn't want you to feel stuck out here alone. Hope someone can answer your question. Welcome to the board!

Love,

Jamie

#133423 - 12/28/04 04:35 PM
dnctla89

Thanks for the support tho! I really appreciate it.
dnctla89 (Carrie)

#133462 - 12/28/04 08:23 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Yes soy milk should be ok to drink by itself. The only thing is some people with IBS find soy bothers them, but as long as you can tolerate soy ok, then you're fine. You know what's totally yummy, chocolate Silk soy milk! Bananas should be ok to eat alone too, but again it's really an individual thing. Try it and see what happens. I don't have problems with bananas.

--------------------
IBS-C

#133516 - 12/29/04 08:02 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

A big problem IBSers find when they start drinking soy for the first time is that it makes them extremely gassy. This is because soy is a bean and like other beans, your body needs to adapt to the amount of soy you are consuming.

To avoid getting gassy, start eating and drinking soy products in small amounts and slowly build up so that your body can get used to it.

After your body adapts to soy, then drinking soy milk by itself shouldn't be a problem for you (unless you're one of those unlucky few who can't tolerate soy at all - only trial and error will tell!)

Hope this helps!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#134446 - 01/02/05 05:46 PM
dnctla89

Thanks all for the suggestions....I will try each one and see how it goes. There are lots of little questions like that that I keep thinking about and I guess I will just have to accept there are no solid answers since it is so different for each person.....aaaaahhhh LOL. Again..thanks.
Carrie

This is frustrating for me too! new
      #134455 - 01/02/05 06:18 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I thought I could ask a question and get an absolute answer. But every question seems to get a response that it depends on the person! UGH, this IBS diet would be so much easier if there were absolutes. Like, yes bananas are okay or no soy is not okay. I hate that it is different for everyone!

It would just be so much easier if there were a definate safe list of foods and a definate no list of foods, wouldn't it!

There isn't even an definative answer on whether it is necessary to take an SFS as some people swear by them and other swear at them! And if you decide to take one, which one!

I am so with you on this frustration!

GL with everything!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: This is frustrating for me too! new
      #134459 - 01/02/05 06:41 PM
meja

Reged: 01/09/04

It is nice to see that I am not the only newcomer that is a little bit lost and frustrated. My biggest problem is just forgetting all of the different rules. Grocery shopping takes so much longer now and is much more expensive. Does any one have any advice for organizing all of this information into a simple day by day plan to start with? There are so many recipes and ideas on here, I am just not sure where to start. Hopefully I will stop getting lost in the message boards and be able to find your responses! LOL!
Meja

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4101 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1093

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review