All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Are coconut oil and Vitamineral Green safe for IBS-D?
      #133280 - 12/27/04 09:30 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

My naturopath doctor told me to try some coconut oil in a smoothie with rice protein powder and fruit. The coconut oil is the easiest fat to digest, but I've read that it causes bad cholesterol. I'm also worried that it might cause a D episode. Has anyone tried it?

She also recommended that I take Vitamineral Green (powdered greens) in a smoothie. Does anyone know if that will cause D?

I need more nutrients. And although the solubles are helping with the D (five days D-free so far), they make my blood sugar plummet, raise my anxiety level, and they're not very nutritious. I've started adding a few cooked veges to pasta with a low-fat marinara sauce (Trader Joes brand - yummy!), and had some avocado and tomato on a bagel today.

I'm going to order the hypnosis tapes to see if they'll help because my tummy tension is baaaaaaaaad. Hope they work!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Are coconut oil and Vitamineral Green safe for IBS-D? new
      #133290 - 12/27/04 09:54 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I thought I was the only one who ate avocado on a bagel -- had it today for lunch, in fact. I don't know much about the products you mentioned. The thing to be aware of with oil is its fat content, but if you are okay with the avocado, which is relatively high in fat and oil for a vegetable, then you might be okay with a small amount of oil in an otherwise SF drink. I have no clue about the powdered greens.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Avocados new
      #133342 - 12/28/04 08:31 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

FYI, Trader joes sells low fat avocados. I have no clue how they make them low fat, but somehow they are 45% less fat for people who have a problem with the fat. They are in with all the regular produce so don't think there is anything artificial about them. I'm gonna try them.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Avocados new
      #133378 - 12/28/04 11:35 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Oooh great information, Beth! Thanks for sharing. I will have to check them out the next time I go to Trader Joes.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#133386 - 12/28/04 12:35 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Wow I'll have to try that -- and I'll have to try not to spend too much time figuring out how the heck they do that!
Thanks for the info!

--------------------
Amanda

Avocados new
      #134050 - 12/31/04 03:53 PM
Augie

Do the sliced avocados on sandwiches need to be cooked somehow? Or do you just eat them sliced raw? If they need to be cooked, how do you accomplish that one?

--------------------
~ Beth

#134203 - 01/01/05 03:03 PM
Digby

I eat the avocados raw, a half on a bagel. I don't eat the whole avocado in one day. Refrigerate the half with the pit to help keep it from turning brown.

Raw avocados are safe? new
      #134214 - 01/01/05 03:29 PM
Augie

I didn't think any raw veggie was okay to eat. Or raw fruits.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Raw avocados are safe? new
      #134225 - 01/01/05 04:21 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I can't do avacados. They give me D, always have. They were one of the first triggers I noticed when I was VERY young, along with asperagus and apples. Just my $ .02

~nelly~

According to Heather... new
      #134268 - 01/01/05 07:59 PM
Digby

On the Most Asked Questions about the IBS Diet post, Heather lumps avocados under healthy soluble foods. They're also a good source of healthy fat, which we all need.

You'll need to see for yourself whether they're a trigger for you. When I can eat normally, I don't have a problem with avocados.

#134318 - 01/02/05 07:54 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Sorry I didn't see any of these replies, I haven't been online in a week. I do not cook the avocados (Cooking veggies is to break down insoluable fiber, but avocados are all soluable). I use about 1/4 to 1/2 of the avocado per bagel, and it never gives me a problem. I splash on some lemon juice and some salt and pepper.
Hope that helps.

--------------------
Amanda

Hi Amanda! new
      #134319 - 01/02/05 08:30 AM
Augie

Was just thinking about you, wondering where you were and missing you! Good to see your smiling face again. Thanks for the response.

The low fat avocados at trader joes are about 3 times as big as the normal fat ones, so I'll have to reduce portion accordingly. I can't wait to try this tomorrow!

BTW can you do any other veggies or fruits raw? I know carrots and papaya and maybe even apples are considered soluble. Is it safe to do these raw if they are soluble?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Hi Amanda! new
      #134713 - 01/03/05 01:29 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Hi Beth,
That's nice of you to wonder about me! I was having a good time visiting with family and finally seeing my long-distance boyfriend who was here for a visit. Thanks for the info about the avocados. I can't wait to check them out.
I eat some raw fruits and veggies. The general rule is that if you can smush it with a fork, it's probably okay. I eat mangoes, bananas, peaches and necatarines (without the skin), and things like that. I can have a smile or two of grapefruit or orange, but that's about it. I make apples into applesauce but don't eat them raw very often. Usually if I eat veggies at all I steam them in my rice cooker. Mostly though I don't have time for anything too complicated (I'm in law school) so I drink a ton of low-sodium V8. Hope that helps!
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

#134716 - 01/03/05 01:40 PM
Augie

You can do raw peaches and nectarines? BTW are you a D,C, or A. Are you on acacia too!

Man, law school! Quite the stress. No wonder you have IBS! And the profession you have chosen isn't an easy one. What sort of law do you want to practice?What year are you in Law school?

Since it's long distance relationship, I take it you aren't originally from NY but just going to school there?

--------------------
~ Beth

#134862 - 01/04/05 08:16 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

I was mostly D for the first year or so. I have almost no symptoms now, but during stressful times will be A for a while. I take acacia when I remember, or when I am having a week or two of being A, but mostly I just stick to the diet, take equalactin and gas-x when I need it, and hyoscamine once in a while, maybe every 2 weeks or so.
Yeah, law school is pretty stressful but somehow I do enjoy it. It's tough being away from the bf but it's what's right for us right now so I'm dealing with it. We are both originally from the NYC area, but he moved to London for work about a year and a half ago, and will probably be there at least another year, possibly two.
I'm in my second year of school (offically half-way done right now!), and will graduate in May '06. Not quite sure yet what I want to practice -- I guess I'll see who hires me!

--------------------
Amanda

Augie- reduced fat avocados info... new
      #134872 - 01/04/05 08:40 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

The larger, less fat variety of avocadoes are Florida avocadoes, while those smaller, higher in fat ones are California Hass Avacodoes. Spring/summer/ early fall you can find them in any produce section. They are always cheaper, too. BUT, they do not taste the same, I did not care for them one bit. Not much flavor. But I encourage you try them, show knows, you may like it! And less fat is usally a good thing!
I also eat avocado on a bagel! My BF thought I was nuts when he saw me. I put alittle salsa on it, too. I am pretty stable and can handle alot, as long as it is not a definate no- no trigger.
All this talk about avocadoes is going to make me order some avocado sushi for lunch, I just know it! YUM!

--------------------
-Sheri

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2326 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2041

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review