All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
SFS for Constipation
      #132922 - 12/25/04 11:04 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I am curious if there are SFS that are better for IBS-C than others. I was hoping the C folks could share their experieces with me. I have yet to find one that I can stick with.

Also, do C people usually need to take more than D people? How do you handle more SFS to get a BM while putting up with the increased bloating and gas that accompanies the increased dosage.

Trying to find an SFS has taken it's toll on me. I have had it and I am thinking maybe they just won't work for me. I know that for like 30 % of people with IBS the SFS can actually cause worse problems. But I need to go so badly!!! Ugh, this is such a stress for me.

Can I hear from some IBS-C people on this one please. Thanks to all.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: SFS for Constipation new
      #132924 - 12/25/04 12:30 PM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

I know how you're feeling, I'm so there right with you on this one.

I was taking Prodiem, but it seemed to increase all my symptoms, and really didn't make much of a diffrence, so I've stopped. I'm considering switching to another one, after I get more results back from my doctor.

I know what you mean though! I(sorry if TMI) have to go so badly right now, but I can't! The only meds I have are advil, anti-nausea gravol, and my SFS!

I don't think I've helped, but that's my story!

Re: SFS for Constipation new
      #132930 - 12/25/04 03:15 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

That's the kind of experience I've had as well. I've tried several types, all of which cause terrible bloating and frankly don't seem to be all that helpful in terms of regularity. I just discontinued use of yet another one about a week ago, and voila! bloating went away.
I'd suggest the assistance of an occasional glycerin suppository if you're really backed up, then ratchet up the insoluble fiber in conjunction with foods that are rich in solubles. (see the list elsewhere on this site) Drink LOTS of water. Take your peppermint capsules. I've also found a probiotic to be helpful, in addition to digestive enzymes and Iberogast (a concoction similar to Swedish Bitters).
Hope this is helpful.
Best wishes for improved health and comfort in the new year.

Constipation *DELETED* new
      #132932 - 12/25/04 03:59 PM
AngelEyes

Reged: 12/25/04

Post deleted by Heather

Re: Constipation- and your pitch new
      #132980 - 12/26/04 07:37 AM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Again I say it, please don't use this board as a sales opportunity. It's quite inappropriate and not appreciated by anyone here.

Re: Constipation- and your pitch new
      #132985 - 12/26/04 10:15 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

They've been reported to Heather. Sorry, but we have a zero tolerance policy for annoying spammers here.

Please don't let this get lost... new
      #133123 - 12/27/04 09:35 AM
Augie

because of the spammer. We still need advice on this one! SFS is so important to this diet.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Please don't let this get lost... new
      #133129 - 12/27/04 09:46 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hey Augie,

Which SFS have you tried? I know I had a problem with a few of them, especially the ones that contained guar gum. They tended to make me extremely gassy and bloated. So unfortunately, this ruled out Acacia and Benefiber as an option for me.

I found that Citrucel worked best for me. I took about 9 of the citrus capsules a day. The bad news about the capsules is that the citrus bothered my acid stomach so I had to take an antiacid prescription along with it. I have since found Citrucel Clear-mix which I am going to start trying to see if it helps with my C. I will let you know how it works.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Hey again Jennifer-edited new
      #133133 - 12/27/04 10:07 AM
Augie

We're just following each other around the boards today! I have tried fibercon, equalacitin, and benefiber. First two don't give me BM's at all. The benefiber gave me cramps and yucky feeling, but in all honesty I think I tried too much at once and only gave it two days! But I felt horrible.

Also tried citricel capsules, but takes so many of those to get up in fiber grams and wasn't sure if capsules were as effective as powders. I remember Heather stating that somewhere in one of her books.

Just stopped taking Clear Mix citricel because I thought it may be the culprit to my gas and bloating. But it was better for giving me BM's! Trying combo of FiberChoice (only 1/2 or 1 tablet)and Equalactin now, but not happy with this either-no BMs. And it scares me that FiberChoice is the only SFS Heather cannot take!

I'm either thinking of going back to the citricel or trying benefiber starting at a lower dose. I thought since I was already at a dose of 7grams citrucel, that I could try 3 grams fiber worth of the benefiber and supplement the other 4 grams with citrucel or equalactin.

Also considering Metamucil, believe it or not. I know Kandee swears that she needs the psylium in order to have a BM. And Fishnet takes this one as does LS I think. But isn't metamucil notorious for bloating and gas!

Please let me know how the Citrucel Clear Mix works for you. GL with it!

How are you handling your C without any SFS?

--------------------
~ Beth

Edited by Augie (12/27/04 10:29 AM)

Re: Hey again Jennifer-edited new
      #133143 - 12/27/04 10:40 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hey Augie (tag - you're it! )

Thanks for the advice about the Citrucel Clear-mix! I will definiately have to see if it makes my gas and bloating any worse.

My C has been bad since I got off the SFS, so I know that I have to get back on one. I keep getting that feeling like I have to go, but only go a little bit. Before I stopped the Citrucel Citrus Capsules, I was actually going like a normal person! But again, I don't want to have to take an antiacid to combat the citrus in the SFS.

I will definitely keep you updated! I'm planning to start next week because I want to try to eat safe foods this week to see if I can get regular without the SFS (hopeless dream, I know!).

--------------------
- Jennifer

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2704 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5059

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review