All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Equalactin
      #132920 - 12/25/04 10:47 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I am wondering if anyone uses Equalactin as their only SFS or do most only use it for occasional use, like during a severe attack.

I am IBS-C and currently only using equalactin, but I'm thinking it may only be useful for D or for occasional use. I haven't had BMs while just using equalacitin (8 a day=4gram fiber).

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I don't know the answer to that but I'm as curious as you are. new
      #132952 - 12/25/04 08:59 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

My daughter had SEVERE constipation from the time she was one untill she was about four when we ended up in the emergancy room with her because of it. We were reffered to a pediatric GI who put her on equalactrin for about a year and a half until the problem eventually cleared up. I was wondering about taking it myself. Do you have any side effects from it?

Re: Equalactin new
      #133350 - 12/28/04 09:10 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

A whole bunch of us take Equalactin all the time with no side effects. I find it quiets the rumblings if I feel the foreshadowing of a D attack coming on. But, I don't think there is enough fiber per dose to rely on it as your only SFS. You'd have to take a TON every day, and while it's economical when taken once in a while, it's too expensive to use if you are trying to get your full fiber dose from it. I also will chew up one or two right before a meal if I didn't cook it myself and am not 100% convinced that it's safe, or if I intentionally decide to eat something bad (like a slice of cheese on a turkey sandwich) and it usually helps.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#133351 - 12/28/04 09:10 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Most people don't use equalactin as a primary SFS, mostly because of the cost factor - at only 1/2 gram per tablet, you'd have to buy A LOT of them to come up with the 12-15g a day you're supposed to be taking, and they're just too expensive per tablet to reasonably do that.

Thanks Amanda new
      #133355 - 12/28/04 09:30 AM
Augie

What do you supplement the equalactin with? Another SFS? Or do you only take the Equalactin for attacks and nothing else during the other times?

--------------------
~ Beth

#133356 - 12/28/04 09:34 AM
Augie

Thanks Casey,
I did posted this before I got your other response via email! Sorry you had to answer it twice.

--------------------
~ Beth

#133357 - 12/28/04 09:35 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

I use equalactin almost every day. I normally take two tablets before eating something if it's questionable for me. I take fibercon in the morning. (4 tablets) and that's been all I need for now. I'm IBS D with a leaning towards A now.

Sandy

Sandyq new
      #133364 - 12/28/04 10:21 AM
Augie

So you only take 2 a day of equalactin? And only if it's questionable? Or 2 at every meal?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Thanks Amanda new
      #133366 - 12/28/04 10:25 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I take Acacia (when I remember) as my daily SFS, and equalactin as needed. I must admit though that I sometimes go for a week or more at a time with no SFS at all, if my diet is really really good and my stress level is relatively low. Not reccommended, but I can usually get away with it, as I've been fairly stable for a while now. Lately my only frequent problem has been gas and bloating, and I take about a million gas-x a day to keep that under control. I also take 2 hyoscamine sublingually before bed on days that I've been exceptionally bloated, but I can't tolerate the side effects during the day.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

What is hyoscamine sublingually?-nt new
      #133372 - 12/28/04 11:02 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: What is hyoscamine sublingually?-nt new
      #133373 - 12/28/04 11:23 AM
RnbwConnection78

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Bensalem, PA (right outside of Philadelphia)

It's the generic form of Nulev or levsin. It's an antispasmodic that you put under your tongue instead of swallowing it. I've found it to be helpful because I can take it anywhere without water and it works pretty fast. I take it as soon as I feel an attack coming on and sometimes it quells it. Some people take it before meals on a more regular basis.

--------------------

Thanks! new
      #133374 - 12/28/04 11:26 AM
Augie

Is it only for D people? I am C and thought antispasmodics would increase the C but I also get very bad spasms anyhow, just without the D.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2789 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2596

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review