All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Whole wheat couscous?
      #132646 - 12/23/04 11:01 AM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

My father (bless him), has been trying so hard for years to buy good groceries that are vegan friendly. Now, with my IBS, it's even harder for him. I asked him to pick up some couscous, and he bought some whole wheat couscous, instead of the normal stuff.

What I'm wondering, is there a chance it could be a trigger? I mean, couscous is TINY, so maybe it'll be easy to digest? Should I avoid it?

Any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hhhmmmm.... new
      #132650 - 12/23/04 11:09 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

this is a tough one, cause even though couscous (regular) is solouble fiber, I have found that it usually is ok in itself, but there doesn't seem to be *enough* soloubleness in it to counteract the insoloubles I eat with it. LOL, I know that sounds silly, here is an example:
If I make a serving of lentils and a serving of couscous, chances are I am taking a gamble with D.
If you want to be ultra safe, since it is good to sneak in whole grains, maybe make a small serving of it as a side to your meal, and make sure you have white bread or potatoes with it.

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Hhhmmmm.... new
      #132714 - 12/23/04 03:07 PM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

Hmm...alright, I guess I'll chance a small amount of it, with some rice, perhaps.

Any other suggestions would be awesome too

Re: Whole wheat couscous? new
      #132753 - 12/23/04 06:31 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Isabel!

We haven't met because I've been doing really well and haven't been around here much. I like your screen name and picture!

I would say it depends on how stable you are right now. Remember we MUST get some insoluble fiber also for general health, as Heather says. So for instance I can and do eat cracked wheat bread or multi grain bread on a regular basis with no problem (I'm an IBS-D). So having it with rice or with a piece of bread or other soluble fiber should work just fine.

I love couscous both regular and whole wheat. We just had some last week in fact!

Nice to meet you!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Whole wheat couscous? new
      #132782 - 12/23/04 09:48 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Please avoid this...wholewheat couscous is harrrrddd on the tummy...I've tried it a few times (and I have quite a high tolerance for bran) and its not been fun...go with the normal couscous (your daddy sounds so cute though..trying so hard..its heartbreaking to tell them its not ok for you isn't it?)

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3129 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1314

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review