All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Antidepressants
      #132325 - 12/22/04 08:52 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Does anyone have any information to offer on the use of antidepressants? I feel I want to talk to my family doctor about prescribing me something but would like some feedback from folks who currently take something or have in the past. They said I have IBS-C, although for the last several months I have been on a high fiber diet and go to the bathroom every day, pretty faithfully. Sometimes it takes a little to get things going, and when I do go it is not alot. Sometimes I will go "a little bit" 3 times a day. It depends. But anyway, I know I have read different posts from people saying that people who have c shouldn't take the same as people who have d.. Any input???

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Antidepressants new
      #132406 - 12/22/04 12:05 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I have IBS-D and have been taking something called Celexa for a few months now. It helps me greatly.

#132416 - 12/22/04 12:16 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I don't know if there's a med difference for D and C, but I'm currently on effexor for an anxiety disorder and it has made a world of difference for my IBS. A lot of people on these boards have found AD (antidepressants) VERY helpful.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#132470 - 12/22/04 03:17 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Look at this it may help!! Good luck!! web page

--------------------
Heather7476

#132487 - 12/22/04 04:19 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I take 20 mg of Prozac daily and I don't think it has effected my C personally, however, it has been known to cause diarhea with some people. My doctor said it could help me when he switched me off Paxil, but it hasn't hurt or harmed me. I've just been sticking to fiber and miralax.

#132524 - 12/22/04 09:54 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I've found that anti-depressants can be very helpful in managing IBS symptoms, but I would encourage you to do your own research and/or make sure you're really confident that your doc knows what he/she is doing before you go on one. I only say this because once you're on them, they can potentially be hard to get off, so you want to try and get on the best one for you. Here's a good site for loads of anti-depressant info: www.crazymeds.org

Kelly

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 751 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 815

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review