All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Prunes and/or Prune juice for C
      #130124 - 12/13/04 08:22 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Is it okay to try these in the morning to help me with the constipation? Or do they cause more problems than help?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Edited by Augie (12/13/04 08:45 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Prunes and/or Prune juice new
      #130126 - 12/13/04 08:24 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well prunes are incredibly high in IF and pretty harsh! Not sure if the juice is much better.

Re: Prunes and/or Prune juice new
      #130136 - 12/13/04 08:37 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I agree with LInz. Wouldn't touch the stuff with a 10 foot pole.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Prunes and/or Prune juice for C new
      #130162 - 12/13/04 09:51 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

You could try them. For me, they mainly just give me gas. They don't really seem to help me have a bm. I don't use them very often because I don't like the gas!

#141657 - 01/23/05 06:13 PM
Augie

Do any of the IBS-C people find prune juice and/or dried prunes helpful? If so, how much, how often, and what form (dried fruit or juice) do you find most helpful?

Are they best taken at night or in the morning?

I'm desperate for a BM!! But don't want to cause worse problems. Not than I can think of a worse symptom than Constipation! Maybe cramps/pain would be up there. Oh, heck, the gas and bloat suck too!

Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth

#141668 - 01/23/05 06:36 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Well I have a small glass of prune juice every morning. I have pretty regular BMs but am not sure whether its the prune juice, the magnesium, the tonnes of water I drink or the probiotic, or all the above that does it.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I think the key to managing my IBS is through a combination of things.

One thing tho, I've never noticed any gas or bloat from prune juice, so I may be an exception? I don't think it could hurt to try drinking a small glass every morning and see how you go.

But I guess I'm just a bit of a rebel, I know Heather says not to drink prune juice, but I can't for the life of me remember why....... I've always had it, so am not going to stop now.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

#141793 - 01/24/05 07:07 AM
bellshel32

You really shouldn't worry so much. I truly think different combinations work for different people. Just experiment with the prunes/prune juice & see if it helps you. It's certainly not going to make you more C.

My dad always has a bm when he eats a few prunes. But for me, it usually doesn't work.

I've recently tried drinking a large glass of water/juice in the morning with a capful of Miralax in it. That's helped me tremendously. You might give that a try.

Best of luck!

#141974 - 01/24/05 12:51 PM
Augie

It's hard not to worry about it!!!I am already in pain and don't want to take something that is bad for me or will produce worse problems.

I am just wondering if other C people use these occasionally or even daily for help or if they cause problems for them.

Anyhow????

--------------------
~ Beth

#141988 - 01/24/05 01:13 PM
bellshel32

Prunes are not going to make you C worse. The worst thing they've done to me is to give me gas, not painful either.

I encourage you to give them a try to see if they help you "go".

Re: Prunes and/or Prune juice for C-bump new
      #142188 - 01/24/05 07:17 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

#143490 - 01/27/05 03:45 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I tried prune juice, and I will never try it again. It sent me into D for days.

I would not advise it.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

But I need some D!!-nt new
      #143551 - 01/27/05 07:48 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Beth, you could try cooked prunes... new
      #143568 - 01/27/05 10:43 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Beth, my dad swears that cooked prunes always helps him when he's constipated, I think I've only tried it once and if I remember right, it worked...I was actually thinking of doing it myself, because I have randomly become C this week!! It's so weird because I haven't had it for SO long and I haven't really done anything differently, EXCEPT adding the flaxseed meal!! Has that ever made your C worse?? I am way confused

Anyways, try cooking the prunes in water...I'm not sure exactly how to cook them, but I would just boil them in water until they get really soft. I'm thinking cooked prunes might be better than the juice or just raw. Also, Beth (or anyone) do you know if it's better to increase your dose of SFS if you're C? Thanks and I hope this helps!

--------------------
~Angela

Angie, cooked prunes question! new
      #143677 - 01/28/05 07:15 AM
Augie

Does your dad buy the dried prunes and boil those in water and that is a cooked prune?

The only jarred prunes I have seen (the plump non-dried type) come in jars with High Fructose Syrup.

I don't see how the flaxseed could be the cause of the constipation. It is fiber and that should help you go. In fact, in one of Dr. Andrew Weils books he recommends adding flaxseed for the health benefits but even gives a warning that it may cause D in people. This was written for general public, not IBS folks specifically.

Don't know what to tell you about the SFS as I am struggling to find one that works. What kind are you taking? And how much? I would assume that others would recommend increasing it though if you are constipated. But like I said, I don't seem to get any results from mine at all (been on about 4 different types) so maybe they don't work for everyone or you aren't on the right one.

If you aren't having problems with the SFS (gas, bloat, pain) already on the dose you are on, I would try increasing it. But I would ask others because, as I said, I have not had luck with these.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Angie, cooked prunes question! new
      #143937 - 01/28/05 06:31 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

I asked my dad and he said that unfortunately he would usually order them at restaurants, like for breakfast...How weird is that??? I've never seen them before in a restaurant, although it sounds like it's probably the same as what you're seeing in stores, unfortunately, with the HFCS. If I cook them myself, I will let you know.

I am taking Acacia, and I will probably post to see what people say about that...Thanks for answering though!

--------------------
~Angela

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2773 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3310

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review