All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
ALOE VERA FOR IBS??? Heather and others please!!!
      #129638 - 12/10/04 03:19 PM
Lauriea

Reged: 08/18/04

I watched the Dr Phil Show 2 days ago and on it was a woman who stated that in 2 weeks her IBS symptoms went away after she took 1/2 teaspoon of aloe vera each morning. Has anyone had experince taking aloe vera and if so what have you found? Thanks. Lauriea

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: ALOE VERA FOR IBS??? Heather and others please!!! new
      #129642 - 12/10/04 03:36 PM
Lefty1

Reged: 08/09/04

Please see this:

http://www.helpforibs.com/news/newsletter/strawshort052604.html#askheather

Lefty

#129664 - 12/10/04 06:07 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

aloe vera was the reason I found this site! I was googling for info on it, as it made me feel really sick when I took it. Needless to say it didn't work very well for me!

--------------------
*Emma*

#129675 - 12/10/04 08:58 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi! I've been taking Lifestream Aloe Vera (which is apparantly different according to the company as it's the inner leaf gel not the out leaf get and it's the outer leaf that has the laxative effect) for about 2 years. Since starting Heather's diet i haven't really bothered with it. It did help with the d initially but I didn't really see a whole lot of difference to be honest. It was one of those things that made me feel better for a few months then stopped working. I think I only kept taking it out of habit.

--------------------
Amy

Didn't realise it was bad for you!!? new
      #130009 - 12/12/04 11:18 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

I take Lifestream Aloe Vera juice and am now really concerned after seeing that post. Can someone please clarify whether Lifestream has the laxative in it and whether it is bad for you?? After using Aloe juice I've started get remarkedly better so don't want to stop it, but am really concerned about the health dangers that are discussed in that post.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Re: Didn't realise it was bad for you!!? new
      #130010 - 12/13/04 12:02 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I've been taking the Lifestream aloe vera (see my other post) for a few years. It's the inner leaf gel and while I'm not sure about whether or not it's cancer causing later on in life it doesn't contain the laxative. I'm IBSA but mostly suffer from D and it didn't make me any worse. In fact I think it stopped a lot of the d.

--------------------
Amy

Doubletrouble new
      #130012 - 12/13/04 12:09 AM
Taylahmai

Yep saw your post thanx, but am still concerned! It would be just my luck that I stabilise only because I'm taking something thats no good for me It seems there are a number of dangers with aloe vera so I'm thinking of stopping it, but am concerned I'll 'unstabilise'. And I was doing so well! Yeeesh, why does life with IBS have to be so damn hard!!!

--------------------

#130037 - 12/13/04 05:47 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I can't remember but this has been discussed several times in previous posts. I think it's not the greatest idea. Hit the search button the type in aloe vera for additional information.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Please be careful with Aloe Vera! new
      #130129 - 12/13/04 08:27 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I think Heather really discourages us from taking this stuff. Even if it helps, it may not be worth it. Just like she discourages MOM even though it works.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Lifestream Aloe Vera Juice okay? Heather can you please comment?? new
      #130571 - 12/14/04 08:50 PM
Taylahmai

I contacted Lifestream about their Aloe Vera juice and asked them to address the post that Lefty1 has directed us to in his reply above (article about Aloe Juice that was found in Heathers IBS Newsletter).

Below is their response:

Quote:

I am pleased to tell you that the claims below do not relate to LifeStream Aloe vera juice.

Here is why - our juice is made from the inner gel only - not from the whole leaf which includes the rind. The anthraquinones and their related laxative components commonly referred to as Aloin are located in the rind of the Aloe vera plant. Our juice is tested to check the Aloin level - looking at our last certificate of Analysis the result was 0ppm (parts per million).

I would add though that I agree with some of what is written below - Aloe vera juice that contains the Aloin portion would be disastrous long term from a general health perspective and I don't think anyone with IBS would tolerate it for even a few days. So definitely care needs to be taken when choosing an Aloe product. There are laxative forms on the market in Australia and these I think would be recommended as laxatives or for short term bowel cleansing programmes.

Any AUST L (Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration Listed) product should tell you on the label if it is a laxative via a warning statement however in the USA they don't have such a system. Our product does not have the warning because we don't include the Aloin content.

This sounds pretty good to me so is there anything I'm missing? Does it sound to you like Lifestream is an exception and is there is no danger??

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1797 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1960

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review