All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ginger tea and BMs?
      #12886 - 07/01/03 08:04 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Ok, for the past three days, I've gotten really bloated at the end of the day. I was fine and full of energy in the morning (ever notice how lethargic you can feel when things aren't moving correctly?), but by bedtime (after an IBS-safe meal) I felt all crampy and bloated. I've been drinking my fennel teas, popping Altoids, cooking the crap outta my daily dinner of veggies and taking levsin daily.

I went to a health food store yesterday and picked up a bunch of ginger items because I was feeling nauseated. I bought Ginger Chews and Gin Gins (by the Ginger People) and a box of ginger tea. Brewed a cup before dinner and nearly gagged, not to mention that it gave me serious heartburn.

I decided to give it another chance. I put a 1/2 teaspoon of honey in it along with one Gin Gin. After my first cup (well, during) it gave me D! I was happy! But it's now an hour later and I still have semi-D (really don't want to go into details...eeuuuwwww!) but am not feeling the sharp pains of trapped gas.

Is this a natural side effect (or benefit, depending on your perspective) of ginger? I thought that it only relieved nausea.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

--------------------
~jules

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ginger tea and BMs? new
      #12953 - 07/01/03 10:50 PM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi Jules,
I drink a lot of ginger tea, and yes it does help get things moving. I don't experience heart burn with it though. Peppermint gives me heart burn, so I try to limit the altoids and tea.
Ginger hleps prevent constipation, and expels gass. I can't eat candied ginger, because I can't stand the taste, and it doesn't help me like the teas do. I like Traditional Medicinse Ginger Aide and Yogi Lemon Ginger, Ginger, and Celestial Seasonings Honey Peach Ginger teas.
I'm sorry you have had a mixed experience with ginger. Maybe chose just the tea or candied ginger. Too much can be a trigger. Good Luck
Cloudygirl

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4621 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 308

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review