All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
My 75 year old Mother
      #12715 - 06/28/03 07:56 PM
timmy

Reged: 06/28/03

Hi Folks,My Mother has Ibs ,She doesn't know what she can safely eat.We have bought both of Heathers books and read them.She is keeping a list of everything she eats.She is having ibs attacks ,and after checking her list I see peanut butter and Banana's are the only things that are on her list each day before an Ibs Attack,Are these Trigger foods ? I also wonder if there are any safe spices she can eat to spice up all the souluble fiber stuff.Is there a list of safe foods she can eat ? Her entire diet consists of French Bread ,Eggbeaters,Oatmeal,Cream of wheat,bannanas jelly,white potatos,butternut squash,peanut butter ,carrots,
applesauce.sometimes turkey breast and chicken breast grilled.This is all she has lived on since we found out she had Ibs.Well thanks for any answers you can give me.She has constipated Ibs.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My 75 year old Mother new
      #12729 - 06/29/03 03:13 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

The foods she eat sound great, but maybe she has an allergy to bananas and peanuts I avoid nuts, because they double me over in pain and causes bloating.
I have a seasoning you can mix yourself and I use it alot. It's from the book called, Emeril's There's a chef in my soup.

Baby Bam seasoning
3 TBS. Paprika
2 TBS. salt
2 TBS. Dried Parsley
2 Tsp. onion powder
2 Tsp. Black pepper
1 Tsp. Dried oregano
1 Tsp. Dried basil
1 Tsp. Dried thyme
1/2 Tsp. celery salt.
Add sourdough bread to her diet. Pretzels are a safe snack and my favorite are Snyder's sourdough pretzels. Another snack food is Rice Cakes with jelly. For dessert she should beable to tolerate Angel Food Cake.
Also when trying new foods don't add more than one new food to her diet in a day.
Barbara

#12738 - 06/29/03 08:16 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Is she eating the bananas with the peanut butter? Peanut butter is okay, but you have to have only a little at a time because of the fat. Bananas are all soluble so they should be okay, that's why I asked if she was having them together.

Also, once she becomes stable, she should incorporate more insoluble slowly. Is she taking the fiber supplements? That should help also.

#13054 - 07/02/03 07:55 PM
timmy

Reged: 06/28/03

Thank you,I really need alot of information.
Thanks Again.

#13055 - 07/02/03 09:00 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Here's a list of safe foods for your mom - web page Scroll down to the "soluble fiber foods" section.

She can start blending fresh fruit with soy or rice milk into smoothies to drink, and blending cooked veggies into soups or pasta sauces. That will get her insoluble fiber safely - make sure she has these foods with a soluble fiber basis.

And definitely make sure she's on a soluble fiber supplement - there's details here web page

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#13061 - 07/03/03 12:08 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

I don't know if this will help but it might.

Managing Bowel Problems in Elders

http://www.onlinece.net/courses.asp?course=144&action=view

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#13062 - 07/03/03 12:09 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

also, you might want to post what her symptoms are and that may help also.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 944 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1023

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review