All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
SFS-When is it time to change?
      #124194 - 11/20/04 08:06 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

How long is long enough to try an SFS before giving up on it? I realize that in the beginning of trying a new one, I might experience bloating or gas, etc., but how do I know if a different choice might be better for me, more effective. It's hard to figure out if the symptoms are from food, SFS, or stress.

I currently take Clear Mix Citrucel, because it isn't suppose to bloat like psyllium, yet I am still constipated (at 7g fiber now). And I still get cramps, spasms and bloating and gas.

Is it time to change? How long is a good time period to try an SFS?

One unrelated question, does anyone know if probiotics, like jarro, work for constipation and diarrhea? Should they be taken more for one than the other? Like 2 or 3 a day for D, but only 1 a day for C?
Thanks in advance.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Another SFS question new
      #124209 - 11/20/04 10:23 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I think with the SFS, I'd try and increase the dose. 7g isn't that much and you probably need more to get the benefits. Also, if increasing your dose makes you lots worse, then that would be a hint that Citrucel isn't for you. Unfortunately they're not a wonder cure, so still having symptoms whilst on a SFS doesn't neccasarily mean it's not helping.

Probiotics, as I understand it, are just generally good for IBS, whether C or D.

Thanks Linz, your always helpful for advice!-nt new
      #124775 - 11/22/04 09:12 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: SFS-When is it time to change? new
      #124868 - 11/23/04 10:14 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Hi Augie,

I sounds like the Citrucel isn't working for you, now that I have read that it is giving you gas, bloating and C, maybe you should try to cut down the amount that you are taking. Alot of people say that these things happen when you add to fast. If you do lower it and you still have these problems, I would you can switch, maybe Citrucel isn't for you. But, I would try and lower the dosage first.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Re: SFS-Please help me... new
      #125054 - 11/23/04 07:00 PM
Augie

This is very confusing to me whether I should start increasing or start decreasing or switch altogether. Can anyone else offer a suggestion on what they think I should do? SFS is so important to this diet and I am totally confused on this one!

--------------------
~ Beth

#125074 - 11/23/04 11:22 PM
Linz

Well Dana (Sweetd) thought you'd said that the Citrucel was giving you gas, bloating and C. I thought you'd meant that you still has these symptoms and the Cirucel hadn't stopped them.

If I'm right, then I stand by what I said - 7g isn't alot of SFS. Plus it can take a while AFTER you'd got to a significant dose for your symptoms to subside.

If Dana's right and your symptoms got noticeably worse with the Citucel, then I'd suggest you follow her advice - lower the dose again and try increasing it slowly or just switch to another SFS.

#125155 - 11/24/04 07:51 AM
Augie

Thanks. I've been having problems for so long I honestly cannot remember if the symptoms were worse before the Citrucel or now! It's been quite a while. And I've added gradually like I was suppose to. So, I don't know what the answer is for me. I just remember being symptomatic all the time.

--------------------
~ Beth

#125157 - 11/24/04 07:53 AM
Linz

You're still not on a very high dose, so I'd suggest increasing it. It might not even yet be high enough to affect your symptoms noticeably! If you were feeling like this at 10+g a day, then I'd suggest switching, but you haven't really given it a chance yet!

Augie new
      #125160 - 11/24/04 07:56 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Hi Augie,

How much do you increase and when? When did you start the sfs, I forget?

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Re:SweetD new
      #125169 - 11/24/04 08:04 AM
Augie

I've been on Citrucel for over a year now. I've experimented with equalactin(too expensive for maintainence) and benefiber(that only last a few days because I really felt bad on that one).I stayed at 4 grams of fiber a day for most of the time, but have increased by one gram every week or two or three, which seems slow enough.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 828 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1389

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review