All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to the boards.
      #124077 - 11/20/04 03:43 PM
Vickie

Reged: 11/20/04

Hello all!!!

I'm a third year student studying Computer science and Biology in the UK and have had IBS only for roughly a couple of years. It all started when I developed glandular fever right after my 1st year exams, and I have the sneaking sucspision that the stress and illness together brought it all on.
I developed lactose intolerence whilst doing my GCSEs and also severe gastric reflux. These both calmed down once I settled into uni and I found that I could drink milk again in small quantities.
Also, my mother has suffered from IBS scince she was my age, which was got me questioning the doctor over it.

I've tried everything to get this under control and am fed up of laxitives (i'm IBS-C) like lactulose and not seeing (and dreading the pain of going to) the bathroom for up to a week at a time.

Since sticking to Heather's suggestions I've seen a marked improvement (not only in my bowels but in my weight too! ) but not a total improvement. I've cut out milk altogether, in case it's the old intolerance rearing it's head in a new and ugly form, I only eat soluble fibre foods, extremerly little fat, no egg yolks (which I never ate anyway) and try to steer clear from gluten and wheat scince the women on my dad's side of the family have coeliacs disease.

It's difficult, ut I hope worth it.

So...that's me in summary.

Does anyone have some handy tips about things which they have found help?

vickie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to the boards. new
      #124089 - 11/20/04 03:52 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Hi Vickie,
Welcome to the boards.
Great to get another member on this side of the Atlantic!
(If you are an Xfactor fan check out the living room, we were discussing it earlier!)

I am an IBS Aer rather than C-er but I am sure the others will be able to help, they will probably ask you how long and how strictly you have been sticking to the diet so maybe get that info out of the way now!

And keep the questions coming, even if I don't answer there's a lot of knowledge in these here boards!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Welcome to the boards Vickie! - nt new
      #124105 - 11/20/04 04:14 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#124130 - 11/20/04 04:43 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

welcome.. I do know most C'ers tend ot have to have more insoluble fiber then us A and D'ers.. I'm an A myself.. but when I lean to C I often find eating something that would otherwise be iffy swings me back to center if not past it.. good luck.. its a hard balance to find and maintain...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Hi, Vickie! Just wanted to say welcome! -nt- new
      #124140 - 11/20/04 04:56 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

#124165 - 11/20/04 06:04 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hey vickie, welcome, where are you? I'm in Newbury, Berkshire. My hubbie did Computer Science at Uni too!

I'm IBS-A, not C, but I do know that with C, you have to be very careful to incorporate enough IF whilst eating safely. It can be very difficult, but it's sure worth it!

Welcome vickie! new
      #124172 - 11/20/04 06:33 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Im in the UK too and Im at Leeds Met university...Im studying interior design and spanish...what are you doing and where abouts are you?? Glad you've found these boards...they really are a life saver...they make you feel so normal when discussing the rear end of your body and everyone is so friendly, helpful and not to mention funny!! I know sinead has already asked but feel free to read our x factor conversation on the living room board...and welcome...hope you'll stick around and if you need any advice or help from someone the same age i check most days and will always reply..or you can email me nlc14@hotmail.com.

P.S I had glandular fever for 6 months...it really was horrific and got seriously behind on my GCSE'S I also think that was part of the trigger for me..IM ibs-d but I think it was a bout of gastritus (probably part stress induced) that triggered me off!

--------------------
Natalie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2495 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 596

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review