All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Fructose and brown sugar
      #122919 - 11/17/04 04:47 PM
Laura Lynn

Reged: 11/17/04

I have been told to avoid fructose foods by my doctor. I would like to know if brown sugar is fructose sugar. It is listed in my foods to avoid booklet on Fructose Intolerence by the University of Iowa. In the First Year IBS brown sugar is listed as a safe food. Now I am confused if I should avoid brown sugar or not. I have been battling IBS for 4 yrs. and recently read First Year IBS which answered many questions. I have severe constipation and have been taking Acadia as recommended by Heather but have not seen any results yet. It has been difficult for me to plan meals and include fruits and vegtables. Anyone have any suggestions for safe foods?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fructose and brown sugar new
      #122925 - 11/17/04 04:56 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Hi Laura,

Firstly welcome!

I don't think there is fructose in brown sugar, as far as I am aware its in fruit juices and honey naturally
Brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses added.

As far as eating fruits and veggies go there are a number of key things to note:

1. NEVER eat raw veggies
2. Always cook your veggies well
3. Veggies are easiest introduced when pureed into soups, stews etc
4. Lots of people use V8 juice to get enough veggies in
5. Some fruits are in fact soluble and so very safe eg bananas, mangoes, applesauce
6. Try fruits in smoothies with Soluble fruits as the main ingredient
7. Babyfood pureed fruits are great, I get banana and apple ones and also peach and pear....yummy!

Best of luck with it, and we are all here if you need any more advice!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#122933 - 11/17/04 05:06 PM
Laura Lynn

Thank you Cailin for the tips. I get heartburn often and from eating that I am not able to break the cycle of attacks. Any suggestions?

#122935 - 11/17/04 05:10 PM
Laura Lynn

I do not like soy milk because it is sweet. Any suggestions on a milk like product that isn't sweetened? I still have a little milk on oatmeal and in tea. I want to quit drinking milk but haven't been able to find anything else that I like.

What Sinead said new
      #122936 - 11/17/04 05:10 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Those are excellent tips for veggies. There is really no reason to avoid fructose. Some people are fructose intolerant but if you are not then there is no need to avoid it. High fructose corn syrup is different and Heather has brought out how people are sensitive to it but fructose in moderation is not a scary food- unless you have an intolerance and in that case the list is huge! I had a link once and if you have FI you are really, really resticted!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#122938 - 11/17/04 05:11 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04

I don't have much, but one suggestion that I do have is to sweeten things like tea and oatmeal with pure maple syrup.

ok, need to add something else... Plain rice milk is not too sweet and does not taste bad at all. I use it on my oatmeal every morning, and cook and bake with it all the time.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Edited by RachelT (11/17/04 05:13 PM)

plain milk new
      #122939 - 11/17/04 05:11 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04

Have you had rice or soy milk that is not vanilla? The plain kind for cooking is not sweetened -it is disgusting- but maybe you will like it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: plain milk new
      #122946 - 11/17/04 05:16 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I use rice dream vanilla for cereal and plain in my tea, there is no aftertaste like there is with soy milk.

Not sure about the heartburn..what type of food causes it or is it a combination of things?

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#122947 - 11/17/04 05:17 PM
Laura Lynn

Thanks for the tip I will try rice milk. I am IBS-C and I need help with that. Any suggestions?

Laura

Re: plain milk new
      #122949 - 11/17/04 05:20 PM
Laura Lynn

I am going to try the rice dream vanilla thanks for the help. I have been avoiding all the foods that are triggers except whole eggs, cheese, and milk. They might be the culprits.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3061 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1670

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review