All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Exercise
      #122848 - 11/17/04 12:44 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

I have been reading everywhere that exercise can REALLY help and although Ive known this for a long time Im FINALLY gonna give it a try! I dont exercise at all so I was wondering what I should start with and at what time of the day. My worst time of the day is probably from 5:00pm on because of bloating/pain. Should I exercise before it starts or should I do it after dinner, in the morning, or what?? I would love some advice!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Exercise new
      #122850 - 11/17/04 12:49 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Exercise helps soooooo much...concentrate on cardio and your abs...
when to exercise? mmmmmm, not sure....I would do it before the bloat sets in to see if it is a good preventative measure...good luck! are you joining a gym?

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#122862 - 11/17/04 01:33 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

ITs a great thing to do and makes a huge difference in how I feel.. start slow.. and build up... but make it a time of day when you know you'll be able to do it consistantly- for me that means after work at night before I go home for dinner.. (there is a gym here at work)... but I know others prefer AM or later evening... mom always goes for a walk after dinner/before bed.. On my days off I try to work out earlier in the day because I'm trying ot get more done too.. but I make a real effort to work out at least 3 days a week if not 4-5... even if its just 20 minute on a treadmill it makes a huge difference, I also have a series of abdominal isometric exercises I was given by a physical therapist a few years back that make a huge difference in ab strength...

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#122867 - 11/17/04 01:54 PM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I personally like to exercise in the morning, but I think it's whatever you prefer. I'm a morning person, so I'd much rather get the exercise over & done with first thing. (It's usually 30 minutes on the treadmill using an interval training program.) Oh-- and I exercise 3 times per week.

You might just start out walking & work your way up to a more intense workout. When I first started working out, I got very tired quickly & got very sore.

#122874 - 11/17/04 02:08 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Thanks for all the advice - I dont think I'll be joining a gym right now but maybe in the future. Ill probably just start out with walking before dinner every night and work my way up from there! Thanks again!

#122879 - 11/17/04 02:28 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I workout in the morning. But my GI doc really recommends a walk after dinner for bloating and it does work very well. Doing it on the other hand... Even taking a stroll right after dinner is very beneficial. Sometimes if I am bloated and have to go somewhere I will treadmill for 15 minutes or whatever and it makes a difference. So walk after dinner but doing a workout after dinner is not such a good idea. Just my thoughts!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#122881 - 11/17/04 02:32 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I'm also trying to start an exercise routine. My friend and I both just joined Bally's because they are having a great promotion. At Bally's Total Fitness (not Bally's Sports Clubs), you can join for 19 down and 19 a month. You can only go 3 days a week, and have to pick those days up front. You can go Tues, Thurs, Sat, or Wed, Fri, Sun. My friend and I are going Tues, Thurs, Sat. I actually haven't gone yet because I've been fighting off a cold, but I will hopefully go tomorrow or Saturday. Just thought you might find that info useful since it's pretty cheap. Good luck with everything,
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#122909 - 11/17/04 04:30 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Exercise is great!
My Dad has been preaching at me for years about my endorphins etc and I ignored him. Lately, when my energy levels were low I let a girl at work convince me to go to a class at the gym I am a member of but VERY rarely attend. I had never gone to a class before as I have NO sense of rhythm and hate aerobics etc as I always mess up. Now I go to Total Tone on Tuesdays after work, a Fitball Class on Wednesdays after work and Pilates on Thursdays. The days I don't go to the gym I get restless and drag BF out for a walk. I also have started walking home from work a lot more (50 mins brisk walk) and I feel so much better for it.
The toning and fitball is great for abs as is pilates but sometimes my tummy gurgles so I always make sure to eat a banana about an hour before the class so there are no embarrassing noises during the tummy work!

I like to walk after dinner but it suits best to go to the gym after work, I am NOT a morning person so getting out of bed early to go jogging will never be an option for me!!

This week I am sick and last week I was away and I am itching to get back to my classes, but there's none til next Tuesday that I can go to

WHAT HAVE I BECOME???

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6093 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 680

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review