All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Secrets of My Success!
      #122366 - 11/16/04 10:29 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I was thinking last night that in addition to the things I DON'T do that help me stay stable for 10 months now, there are certain things that I absolutely always do every day, mostly in the supplement/meds area. So I thought I'd share that too. (Remember this is just what works for me, I'm not a doctor so I can't give anyone advice.)

Every day I do the following without fail:

1. Take my SFS before each meal (for me, Metamucil and I built up REALLY slow, so don't go there all at once!)

2. Take my antispasmodic, Bentyl, 20mg, twice a day.

3. Take my anti-gas caplets, generic simethicone, 180mg, two every morning.

4. Take my probiotic, acidophilus, 1B CFU, one with breakfast, one with lunch.

5. Take Imodium aggresively, not every day, but at the least iffy feeling.

And of course I follow Heather's diet and eat small portions at regular intervals (every two hours), plus all the healthy lifestyle stuff like regular bedtime, regular exercise, etc.

Hope this helps someone!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Secrets of My Success! new
      #122373 - 11/16/04 10:37 AM
NikkiZ52

Reged: 05/16/04

Thank you for sharing LauraSue!!

Can I ask you a question about Bentyl? new
      #122536 - 11/16/04 04:14 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

I have a prescription for it but the instructions are take as needed every 6 hours. Is it best to take each day to prevent something from happening? I wanted something to stop my spastic colon when I get nervous or something and that's why the doctor prescribed it. I've only taken it a few times after I started going more than I like. (not D but just going alot).

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Sandy

Re: Can I ask you a question about Bentyl? new
      #122550 - 11/16/04 04:43 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Sandy, I also have Bentyl, and I only take it as needed. That's what my doc recommended I do once I got stable, and I've gotten so that I hardly ever need it anymore. But it's certainly good to have on hand! Anyway, to make a long story short, it's still quite effective when taken once in a while!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Thanks! (m) new
      #122683 - 11/17/04 04:43 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

It has helped like that....I just didn't know it was more effective on a daily basis, you know get it into your system. Thanks again!
Sandy

Re: Secrets of My Success! new
      #122737 - 11/17/04 08:57 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

LS,

You are an inspiration! Congratulations on 10 months! It seems it was just yesterday you were saying 6 months.

YEAH!

--------------------
Janey

I take it you are IBS-D?-nt new
      #122898 - 11/17/04 03:55 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I take it you are IBS-D?-nt Yes, I am. -nt- new
      #124257 - 11/21/04 10:13 AM
LauraSue

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#124261 - 11/21/04 10:19 AM
LauraSue

Sandy,

When my doctor first prescribed it, he didn't really specify whether I should take it every day or just "as needed" so I only took it when I could tell an attack was coming on. It wouldn't stop the attack (diarrhea) but seemed to help me get settled down again sooner afterwards.

The next time I saw my doc, I mentioned that I was still having attacks. He asked me if I was taking the Bentyl and I said yes but only when needed. Boy, did he set me straight in a hurry! Turns out "as needed" for me was "every day!"

So let your body be your guide. It will let you know when you're taking enough. You might want to ask your doctor if it's okay to try taking it every day for a while to see how you feel. I know I'll be on it the rest of my life (unless they come up with a cure for IBS!).

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#124279 - 11/21/04 11:13 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

For me I started taking it every six hours but then I just started taking it at breakfast and lunch. I kinda want to only take it as needed because I do believe that the less you take of it after you are stable the better it works. I took it years ago for some time and it just stopped working. I went back on it after a terrible bout of IBS for 10 days straight and it straightened me out really well at first now I've noticed it's slacking! My theory is that it's better than nothing. I can't seem to take immodium as it backs me up for 5 days just taking 1/2 of one.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 388 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1430

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review