All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
What to eat and what not to eat for IBS C
      #122149 - 11/15/04 08:29 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

I recently had an endoscopy/ colonoscopy to rule out celiac and bowel disease, and seems as nothing abnormal was found I've been diagnosed with IBS. My only symptoms were the occasional tummy spasm and severe bloating, I'd managed to get my C under control through supplements and diet. I found Heathers IBS diet and thought all my dreams had come true!

I've started eating more soluble fibre and less insoluble fibre but have found my C has returned with a vengence. Now I can't work out what it is I'm doing wrong - does anyone with IBS C have some tips for me??

I used to avoid gluten completely but have now been eating white bread and pasta occasionally. Has this caused me to clog up? Or would it be the soluble fibre I am taking?? I've also stopped eating raw fruit and veges, which I used to live on. Could this be the problem? My basic diet at the moment is gluten free white bread with jam for brekkie and rice for lunch and dinner (minimal veges).

Please help!! I want my bowel motions to return to normal!!

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What to eat and what not to eat for IBS C new
      #122151 - 11/15/04 08:40 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

If you have C, you need to have more insolubles in this diet. My perfect C diet doesn't have any white pasta, hardly ANY white bread or white rice. I have barley, brown rice, a tiny bit of wholewheat bread (after white), brown rice pasta and rice crackers. Lots of cooked vegies (pureed into a soup), peeled apples, oatmeal for breakfast, cherry tomatoes, avocado. these are all yummy vegies for me and my C. I definetly find that the white stuff slows me down.
Sounds like you were close to perfect if you sorted out your bowel movement before, but just had bloating and gas (which are the hardest ones to get rid of). if I were you I would go back to my previous diet, remove half of the raw fruit and veg and replace it with cooked (vegie soups, fruit purees) and that should help minimise the wind (play around with balancing it etc). Good luck...sounds like you are close to home!!! Yay!!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Thank you Daliatree new
      #122154 - 11/15/04 08:56 PM
Taylahmai

Wow thank you Daliatree! It feels so good to have support from people who understand. Yep you're right I almost had the problem sorted but bloating is a huge issue for me. So perhaps I'll go back to my previous diet which had much more insoluble fibre (in the form of fruit and veg) and will follow Heathers tips about peeling the skin and removing the seeds. I usually have tuna salads for lunch but now have rice, so I think the best compromise is a tuna salad with rice! Fingers crossed it will bring the BM back but not the tummy spasms!

--------------------

#122177 - 11/16/04 04:34 AM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

I am also a severe 'C'. Seem to have got the bloating and most of spasms under control, but still unable to have bowel movements on my own. I feel the urge to 'go' but still can't. I have been incorporating fruit/soy smoothies and cooked veggies into my diet, but still no luck. I have been on the diet about 4 weeks. Occasionally, I do get spasms, and wonder if it is the insolubles...e.g. too much V8 juice, or cooked veggies. Will this improver over time?

#122665 - 11/16/04 08:57 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

If you have C, you need to have more insolubles in this diet. My perfect C diet doesn't have any white pasta, hardly ANY white bread or white rice. I have barley, brown rice, a tiny bit of wholewheat bread (after white), brown rice pasta and rice crackers. Lots of cooked vegies (pureed into a soup), peeled apples, oatmeal for breakfast, cherry tomatoes, avocado. these are all yummy vegies for me and my C. I definetly find that the white stuff slows me down.
Sounds like you were close to perfect if you sorted out your bowel movement before, but just had bloating and gas (which are the hardest ones to get rid of). if I were you I would go back to my previous diet, remove half of the raw fruit and veg and replace it with cooked (vegie soups, fruit purees) and that should help minimise the wind (play around with balancing it etc). Good luck...sounds like you are close to home!!! Yay!!

I've noticed a lot of C people saying that, about white flour type stuff clogging them up. Is that true of all C people? I'm IBS-C and I can't really tolerate any whole grain products, and only small amounts of oats. Even brown rice has given me an attack before I think I'll die if I had to give up all white flour products! On the other hand, I can now tolerate a good range of veggies and fruit, curtisy of my SFS. I'm still C though, no matter how much fruit I eat.

--------------------
IBS-C

#122674 - 11/16/04 09:50 PM
Taylahmai

Well you are so lucky to have the bloating under control! Strange that the C is still persisting. Unfortunately I can't help much on the diet side of things as this the first week for me. I do know that insolubles on an empty stomach give me spasms and today is the first day I'm introducing them with soluble fibre. Will let you know how I go. Perhaps the V8 juice is a problem, from what I recall tomato is more of a trigger then many other veges? Good luck, I hope the BMs return for both of us very soon!!

--------------------

#122705 - 11/17/04 07:04 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I've always suspected that bread, potatoes, pasta, & rice can aggravate my IBS-C. (Plus, I know that eating too much of those foods at one sitting gets me too full & starts the cramping.) Since being on Heather's diet for 2 1/2 weeks & eating more of these foods, I've been very C. I think that I'm gonna try some of Dalia's suggestions. Maybe I'll start mixing white rice with brown rice & eating bread with white & wheat flour. I've never tried brown pasta, so that'll be something fun to try.

I certainly understand your frustration!!

#122743 - 11/17/04 09:09 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I am IBS-A prone to C most of the time. I was severly C for about a week until I incorporated insolubles into my diet. V8 juice is a good source of veggies, but drink it after you have had a souble such as your SFS or rice, potatoes, etc.

I eat white rice almost everyday. I cannot tolerate the brown rice. I will have chicken, canned peas and carrots combined with my white rice. I also have Delmont's peaches, pears and mixed fruits and luna bars.

I started this last Thursday (11/11/04). I have a bm everyday! I plan to incorporate a new insoluble at least once a week.

Insolubles, that's the key for Cers!

Good luck!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

brown pasta!!! alert!! PLEASE READ new
      #122753 - 11/17/04 09:46 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I wrote brown RICE pasta - its made out of brown rice flour - its a gluten free pasta - please do NOT eat brown pasta ie whole wheat pasta - its verrrryyy branny and might really hurt. PHEW...thanks XXXXX

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

I wondered about that - brown "wheat" stuff KILLS me.... new
      #122807 - 11/17/04 11:00 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Thanks for clearing that up!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5687 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1870

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review