All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help
      #121249 - 11/12/04 09:41 AM
Karen1

Reged: 11/12/04

I hope that someone can help me out. I don't know where to start my story. I have been diagnois with IBS two weeks ago. My doctor said here are some pills to take when you have a bout. I asked about diet, and he said no don't worry about that. But I did not listen to him due to I have been reading Heather's book. I have been following the in-soluble fiber eating habits but I still have d. Since June I have lost 15 pounds due to IBS. I think that I have had IBS for a long time, before June I would go three or four days without going. Now it's multiple times day. What I'm I doing wrong that I can not eat with out going d.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help new
      #121280 - 11/12/04 10:44 AM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Hi Karen1~

Welcome! Can you maybe elaborate a bit on what exactly you are eating? There might be some hidden trigger in there. Are you stressed out at the moment (I know many of us are when we're trying to get everything under control)? Stress is a big trigger, and can cause attacks even when you are eating absolutely NO trigger foods. Have you tried keeping a food diary? You can keep track of your meals, how you feel physically (note any attacks) and how you feel mentally (stressed, depressed, anxious, etc). It's very useful for finding out what works for you.

If you haven't been able to stop the D at all, you may need the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" diet - rice, pasta, etc. Only soluble fiber foods, and only for a couple of days, to get you stable. Also, have you tried immodium? It stops my D and usually swings me to C, where I can get myself back on track much more easily.

Hope the helps you. Others I'm sure will share their knowledge as well. Good luck to you and feel better!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#121306 - 11/12/04 11:53 AM
Karen1

Thanks you for replying! What I have been eating is applesauce, cereal (corn chex, rice krispies), homemade white bread, bananas, squash (just brown sugar and one squirt of I Can't Believe it's Butter), and pasta. One day I added mock crab and cooked carrots to the pasta. The next day was horrid! I drink peppermint or chamonille tea with every meal. I have given up pop, alcohol, red meat, fatty foods, and most dairy. I could not go straight to soy/rice milk so each morning I would mix the milks together. Today was the first day that I had straight rice milk. It's pretty good. I have been taking Fibercon tablets in the morning but today I started to use citrucel. I'm afraid to take immodium for fear of going C which sound just a bad.

#121376 - 11/12/04 06:04 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Firstly, congratulations on cutting out all of those triggers!!

Maybe you could cut out the fruits and veggies for a couple of days? Both bananas and applesauce have been known to get some people on the board (I can eat both of them fine). I don't know about squash - I never liked it even before IBS, so I don't eat it.

I want to say that someone (Amie??) mentioned seeing Sorbitol, a huge trigger for some, in imitation crab meat. I could be getting my info mixed up, but you might want to check the packaging for that ingredient. Also, if you have the name brand rice crispies, they have high fructose corn syrup in them, which is also a trigger. I can eat them fine, and do every morning, but for others it is a big no-no.

What I would try, is to go on the "what to eat diet," which you can find here Breaking the Cycle for a couple of days. Then slowly add in other foods such as the banana or cooked carrots. Try adding ONE food every day or every other day. This will help you find out what your triggers are.

If you haven't tried immodium, it might help. You could try taking just one caplet (get the caplets, not the chewables, because the chewables have sorbitol) and see what that does for you. Or you could ask your doctor for a prescription for liquid immodium, which allows you to take less than you would with the caplets.

That's all I can think of for the moment. Good luck!!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

There is a possibilty new
      #121383 - 11/12/04 06:35 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

and I'm thinking Heather would say, that it might not be IBS and make sure your doc checks for other conditions. Since this is new for you and your symptoms changed and with the weight loss you could be misdiagnosed. Then if you had Celiac's you would be getting worse on the diet with pasta and bread and cereal etc. Just a thought. So far your diet sounds like it should work if it is IBS. Could there be stressors or something going on or a parasite or something like that? Good luck! and best wishes!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#122215 - 11/16/04 06:23 AM
Karen1

Good News! I had a great weekend. NO bouts! What I had did was start taking Citrucel and acidophilus. I did have a small bout yesterday but I think I know what caused that. Thank you for the guidance.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1207 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 643

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review