All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Peanut Butter
      #120801 - 11/10/04 10:10 PM
lilsis

Reged: 11/10/04

Im just curious if people with IBS can eat peanut butter?? I read Eating for IBS but did not see anything mentioned. Any thoughts?

Thanks.... Lilsis

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peanut Butter new
      #120808 - 11/11/04 12:55 AM
marymary

Reged: 11/01/04
Loc: Zurich, Switzerland

Hi there, I am also uncertain with regards to peanut butter. What I have found on the site is that Heather mentions nut & nut butters on the trigger list...maybe just on completely empty stomach? Hope someone can give us some guidance!

#120809 - 11/11/04 02:38 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Nuts and nut butters are listed on the "high fat foods to be careful with" list. You don't have to avoid them completely. You DO have to eat them very carefully, in small amounts, and always with a soluble fiber base. I don't eat peanut butter (don't like it), but I eat cashew butter, and I find I'm ok with about a teaspoon of it on a bagel, for example.

Hope this helps!

#120819 - 11/11/04 03:35 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,
I can tolerate very small amounts of peanut butter, once in a while. Sometimes I can put a bit on a ricecake and be perfectly fine. Once, I tried to do this on about 3 rice cakes and used too much and I was suffering later on.
Try it in tiny bits and see how you get on, it's very high in fat so a low-fat one might be a good idea to search for.
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Peanut Butter, small amount okay new
      #120829 - 11/11/04 04:22 AM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

if you look on the thumb tack of "Snack Foods...Good Grub to Grab in a Hurry", on the message boards. It has peanut butter roll up as a suggestion. 1 tsp peanut butter rolled up in a flour tortilla.

I eat peanut butter and jelley sandwiches often, but I measure the tsp (maybe a little more) very carefully, and only eat that amount. Normal peanut butter jar serving size is 2 Tbsp. and 16g of fat, so if you are only eating a tsp. then you are getting very little fat, only about 2.6g.

Re: Peanut Butter - thx for tip new
      #120850 - 11/11/04 05:31 AM
marymary

Reged: 11/01/04
Loc: Zurich, Switzerland

Ooh, I love cashew nuts, so will definitely try cashew butter. Thanks for the tip!

#120852 - 11/11/04 05:35 AM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

I use the reduced fat Jif - 1 teaspoon and it seems to settle OK Anne

Hi & Welcome Lilsis new
      #120859 - 11/11/04 05:47 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Yes, peanut butter is one of the things that I eat several times a week. I toast a waffle and then spread a small amount of peanut butter on it and it melts. It's really good and I have had no problems with it.

Everyone is different, though. So, I would suggest to go very lightly on the peanut butter at first just to see how you do.

Barbie

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1952 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 751

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review