All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Who takes (or knows about) Levsin??
      #119811 - 11/08/04 06:22 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Here's the deal - my mom always thinks she has a solution for my IBS. She thinks it'll just go away somehow...
She ran into a friend this weekend who has a daughter I went to grade school with, and this friend said that her daughter had IBS once, and she took Levsin for awhile and it went away.
I don't believe it went away of course....but I am just wondering if anyone takes it, and if it really does help alot??

Does anyone know if it's safe when you're pregnant (no, I'm still not pregnant YET).

Thanks!!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Who takes (or knows about) Levsin?? new
      #119960 - 11/08/04 11:32 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hey Cara!! I have taken Levsin in the past, along with Bentyl and Librax. They are anti-spasm drugs and do help some people. I'm currently taking Donnatal as needed which also has a mild calming agent in it, not like the xanax but its supposed to have a mild sedative or something in it. I didn't find the Levsin, or any of the others to help too much. I know you tend to the D side and sometimes they do help with that. The Donnatal and Librax are not good to take while pregnant because of the sedatives. I'm not real sure on just the Levsin or Bentyl, I'll have to look that one up! Bottom line is, it won't hurt to try them. It seems about half the people have good luck with them and they are really pretty cheap so if you don't have prescription drug coverage it won't cost you very much to try them! Just a warning, they do tend to give you horrible dry mouth!! Stock up on sucky candies!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#119982 - 11/08/04 12:22 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Hi Cara, I take Levsin/Hyoscyamine every day. It comes in a timed release form which is much easier tolerated because it does not cause drowsiness. I cannot imagine not having this med in my life, it takes care of all of the cramping and the gas. Drink lots of water. Some days I take it once in the morning and once in the evening, thats when I have been baaaaaaaad! Normally once a day.

#119985 - 11/08/04 12:28 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

Just curious...are you a D or C? I have tried Bentyl but didn't find it helped me much ( D here). I do much better taking an immodium for precaution. I'd like something that would help with the urgency the most and the gas!

Sandy

#119986 - 11/08/04 12:33 PM
Debi

Reged: 11/08/04

Hi, I'm new here. I also take Hyoscyamine every day. I'm supposed to take mine 3x a day, before each meal. It helped tremendously in the beginning but it is not anymore.??? Just wondering if it is common for it to become not as helpful as it was at first?

Debi and Cara new
      #119990 - 11/08/04 12:37 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

same thing happened to me.. I used to be prescibed levsin/hyociame 2 pills three times daily and took them for about three years. At first they seemed to help a lil bit.. but after awhile I realized that they were pretty much pointless.. and since they have so many bad sideeffects I stopped taking them cause i'd rather not take something so intense for no reason.

Cara.. i'd look into taking them when pregnant.. i'd imgaine they are probably not good for pregnant people. Levsin on regular people cautions not to operate heavy machinery or drink alcohol.. so I can only imagine that the effects would be worse on an unborn child. but i may be wrong..

--------------------

#120034 - 11/08/04 02:06 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Ok thanks everyone. I really don't have that bad of symptoms right now, so I probably won't try it right away...Ashley you're probably right about pregnancy too.
I don't get that bad of cramping or gas...only when I have an attack and I've been pretty good lately!!
Thanks for all the info though girls! I might try this in the future.

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Debi and Cara new
      #120064 - 11/08/04 03:22 PM
Debi

Reged: 11/08/04

Ashley,
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping the info on this board helps me. Sounds like it's worked for a lot of others so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and reading as much info as I can until I get my book.

Debi

#120119 - 11/08/04 05:04 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

I take it 3 times a day and have been for a year and a half now. At first I could feel a difference when I would take it and it helped a little but now I think it does nothing. Im going to try and stop taking it and see how that goes - I guess its not good to take long-term because of side effects. But ya never know - it could work great for you!

#120147 - 11/08/04 09:02 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Cara,
I've had good luck with Levsin. I take it as soon as I eat something bad, before any effects happen. I've found that once the attack starts, the levsin is useless. But used as a preventative, I've had a lot of luck.
-- Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 499 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1700

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review