Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
whats everyone eating for turkey day
      #119632 - 11/06/04 06:41 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

im wondering if everyone is haveing turkey for thanks giving? jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

with the house on the market this year... new
      #119656 - 11/07/04 05:45 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

AND having to host- we're having turkey... on the smoker outside.. Bill going to smoke a large turkey breast. I'll make potatoes and stuffing inside... and our guests are bringing vegetable and salad respectively.. and I'll make a chocolate fudge cake to serve with it! or maybe I'll do angel food if I feel ambitious- DH loves those, but I am not sure on time or mess levels, of course if the house has already sold, it will be easier as I won't mind making the mess!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

I'm making... new
      #119675 - 11/07/04 08:36 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

* turkey, of course... not sure if I'm doing a whole turkey or just a breast
* stuffing!
* mashed potatoes!!
* at least one veggie... I'll probably make green beans with vinaigrette and glazed carrots
* cranberry-orange relish
* dinner rolls
* pumpkin cake for dessert

Hey, what good is Turkey Day if you don't go all out, even if it's just two of us?

Actually, we MIGHT end up at my future-mother-in-law's for dinner, in which case I'll probably end up eating turkey and bread and that's it... because nobody in his family bothers to understand how I eat, so I'll assume that nothing is safe and just not eat it.

Re: whats everyone eating for turkey day new
      #119682 - 11/07/04 09:49 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Jasper,

Fortunately, my mom always makes the turkey for Thanksgiving. I am 60 yrs old and never made a turkey! Anyway, I bring the mashed potatoes, yams with marshmallows on top & rolls.

I usually eat some turkey, a little yams & mashed potatoes & rolls. But, I leave the other stuff alone and usually my tummy does pretty well. I definitely have to leave the pecan pie alone. Darn!

Barbie

--------------------

#119683 - 11/07/04 09:50 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I am not sure!!! Rich has to work all day so I don't know what I am doing!! I uselly go to my Dads but not sure I want to deal with that this year!! If my Gram and Gramps are still here (they go to florida alot) I will for sure be spending it with them!! If they leave I may just make a whole chicken in the crockpot!!! With all the other yummy things like stuffing and mashed potatoes!!! Not sure!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Vacation Plans! new
      #119731 - 11/07/04 02:19 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I'm so excited. My Husband and I are getting away for the week without our chidren. It's been a long time sice we did that. (Actually I don't think we've ever done a whole week without them before.) I'm kind of a little nervous about leaving them for so long but they'll be with their Grandparents so I know they'll be fine.

#119752 - 11/07/04 04:45 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

Well, since I'm majoring in poultry and avian sciences, I'm going to be slaughtering my own turkey for dinner (the poultry science club has a turkey kill/sale fundraiser every year and the students are used as free labor). Mom will make mashed potatoes and stuffing (though the recipies might have to be modified 'cause of my dumb colon, grr).

Meg

Re: I'm making... *DELETED* new
      #119754 - 11/07/04 05:00 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

#119762 - 11/07/04 05:50 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Well, I'm a vegetarian, and my boyfriend isn't big into holidays, and it will just be the two of us in my apartment on Thanksgiving. All of the other roomies are heading home. Honestly, last Thanksgiving I spent watching the Macy's parade while doing Economics homework, and I had pasta for dinner. So maybe something a little more than that since I won't be alone this year, maybe mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes and some veggies or something like that.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Stuffing new
      #119765 - 11/07/04 06:33 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, personally, I cheat and use the Hannaford store-brand "Stove Top Stuffing" wannabe - Stove Top has dairy in it, but the Hannaford brand is totally safe. I make it with broth, and jazz it up with sauteed celery, onions, and mushrooms.

Butter is completely unnecessary in stuffing in the first place. You can just leave it out. (I've actually never made stuffing with butter/margarine/oil in it, even pre-IBS-diet.) If your recipe calls for sauteeing vegetables first, use a little canola oil, and then just use extra broth to compensate for the moisture that the butter would have given it.

Casey *DELETED* new
      #119776 - 11/07/04 07:17 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

Re: Casey new
      #119786 - 11/07/04 07:51 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=recipe&Number=111860&page=&view=&sb=5&o=
If you go this link it is my mom's stuffing recipe!I made this a few weeks ago!! I used canola oil instead of the butter and used chicken broth form the turkey to make it moist!! Tasted just like my mom's!!!!
Hope this helps!! If you any questions just ask!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Hey Casey, try this... new
      #119791 - 11/07/04 08:13 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

If you go to your f-m-i-l for Thanksgiving, why not take the green beans vinegrette and the carrots? Just show up with them, and a sweet smile, then you can have a nice meal and others can have a taste of your way of eating.

It is hard for others to understand how we have to eat, and another to cook for us. My mom and sister try very hard, to serve food that I can eat. I just go along and take the Equalactin and eat what I can. (we spend alot of time together shopping the sales racks, everywhere!!)

Hope it works out for you, take the Pumpkin Cake with you also !!!

stuffing without butter... new
      #119824 - 11/08/04 07:12 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I was raised in a kosher household- no butter with turkey... ever! stuffing when we did have bread based was made with broth all the way through- sautee any veggies- onions, garlic, celery/carrot in it, then add the bread crumbs or even toast- mom was known to put in whole slices and break it up as she stired it in... and YUM!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4242 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1640

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review