All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Advice from IBS-C'ers needed? Why did my diet fail?
      #117675 - 11/01/04 07:51 AM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

I am fairly new to Heather's diet, and trying to adjust and get it right. I am severely IBS-C. I was doing fine on the diet for a few days, and then (because I was away from home) I tried some black bean soup containing white rice, and a small salad afterwards. I have been in spasm pain for a couple of days. Is it the beans that may have caused the problem...as I thought it would be okay with the rice.
Also I have bought some citrucel and benefiber and wondered which to try first, and at what dosage. Would appreciate all your advice. Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Advice from IBS-C'ers needed? Why did my diet fail? new
      #117678 - 11/01/04 08:30 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi Kim,

You may find this surprising since this is supposed to be healthy for you, but it might have been the salad that's giving you pains. A lot of IBSers (including myself) cannot tolerate raw vegetables. I know if I had a salad, I'd be in pain for days too!

The beans might have played a small role if you had a lot of them. Your body might not be used to all the fiber you're adding to your diet.

As for the citrucel and benefiber, it's up to you which one you want to try first. I personally like the citrucel better, but I know there's other people here who prefer to the benefiber. For dosages, check out Heather's supplement page on her website (link is on the left menu bar).

--------------------
- Jennifer

#117692 - 11/01/04 09:16 AM
KimGun

Thanks for the advice re raw salad.... but how do you take salad or subsitutes for salad. I have had salad before and didn't seem to have any problems. However, it is the first time I am trying beans, and I did have quite a lot.

#117699 - 11/01/04 09:43 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Beans are out of the question for me - a lot of pain, wind (gas) and diarrhoea ... really bad news. I often used to eat beans and lentils when I was younger with no problem, it's one of the things that has changed that makes me think I am IBS. But everyone's different - lots of people here eat beans okay and some take something called Beano first to help with digestion.

Hope this helps.

Josephine

#117701 - 11/01/04 09:47 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I find if I rinse the beans very well before using them, that helps keep the gas and pain to a minimum. Next time, try taking some food enzymes or beano before eating things like beans and salad and see if that helps! It may have just been too much with both the salad and beans. I can eat them both but if I had them both at the same meal, even with the white rice, it would probably upset my tummy also!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#117731 - 11/01/04 10:36 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I am one of those who cannot eat beans anymore, ieven if I take Beano first!

I think it was the salad in your case along with the beans. Did you take your SFS first or drink any kind of tea to line your stomach?

We can't eat what we once did - so sad but true!

Hang in there you wil get back on track - promise!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#117735 - 11/01/04 10:41 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hi Kim!

I am a C'er and I use Benefiber. I would start out with maybe 1/4 teaspoon once daily for about a week or so, and then gradually increase every week. Unfortunately with C, it's so hard to rule out what cauzed the problem because not all the time do they happen right away. It usually takes 2 days before I feel the effects of something I shouldn't of had. In your case, if you're for sure that it happened from something you ate that night, I think it could be either the beans or the salad, or maybe a combination of the 2. The salad being too hard to digest, and the beans too much insoluble fiber too soon. Time is an improtant thing when dealing with C... maybe stick to easier insolubles for a little longer, or cook your veggies well done and mash them or put them in a blender. Heather's Lemon and Asparagus pasta is one thing that I can always tolerate, and for some reason, it always helps me to end my bad streak.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#117760 - 11/01/04 11:28 AM
KimGun

Rachel ...thanks for the advice re Benefiber.... how much should I aim to be building up to? Do you take any other supplements like magnesium, etc.? I am still very new to this, but cannot yet seem to have a bowel movement on my own. Do we need to be taking more SFS than is normally prescribed on the packet? I am always afraid this will bloat me up to much if I can't 'go'. Also, should you take a SFS before eating your meals?

#117776 - 11/01/04 12:28 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hi again!

Taking an SFS before meals is a really good idea, but don't overdo it! I'm currently taking 1 Tablespoon in the morning with my oatmeal, and 1/4 teaspoon at night before eating dinner. I can't remember what the recommended dose of an SFS is (although I'm sure someone will be along to help us out with that) but the container for the Benefiber says 1-3 Tablespoons per day. I think that's about right, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure how much soluble fiber is in Benefiber. SFS's are just supplements, so they should not take the place of any soluble fiber that you would eat on a regular basis. I think what you mean is that IBSers need to consume more soluble fiber than the average person, that means eating more foods such as rice, pasta, potatoes, etc.

Be patient honey... I know it stinks, but it will get better for you. Remember, no cheating... for now anyway. As long as you stick to the diet, take your SFS, drink 64ounces of water, and get some excercise every day, you will feel better soon.

It doesn't happen overnight... I'm still learning what my body can and cannot tolerate, and I've been on the diet since July 1st. Recently I just discovered that I can't tolerate ANY raw or semi-cooked veggies. They have to be very very well done, and in "mush" form. Which is too bad, because I love salads. I've also noticed that if I have my SFS before eating a meal that might potentially cause problems (the veggie thing again) it really cuts down on the bloat and gas.

If you would prefer, you may email me directly, my address is in my profile. Just let me know... my inbox is always open.

I hope I've helped you some!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#117778 - 11/01/04 12:32 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I can't tolerate ANY raw or semi-cooked veggies. I don't have the time to puree, so I drink V8 every night.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 440 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2364

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review