All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Rasins
      #116336 - 10/27/04 11:59 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I know rasins are an insoluble food, but is it ok to eat a small pack of them everyday, two hours after taking sfs?

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Rasins new
      #116363 - 10/27/04 01:01 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

bump

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#116388 - 10/27/04 01:34 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

probably depends on how stable you are. I am officially IBS-D, but I haven't had D in a really long time. I think I am mostly Pain-predominant now, with occasional C (especially when I am lazy about insoluables). I am able to eat raisins pretty much with no problem, especially to alleviate C -- it usually produces a normal trip to the bathroom, not D. Again, what one person can tolerate maybe murder to another person, so you might just have to experiment a little. Don't forget that you are suppoed to incorporate insoluables into your diet as part of the overall plan -- they are not to be completely avoided like triggers (dairy, meat, etc).

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

AmandaPanda new
      #116395 - 10/27/04 01:43 PM
Sweetd

Thanks. I am aware of that so I am trying to find which ones are safe to eat everyday (other than V8 and carrots). I am an A, leaning towards C lately (what I started out at). I was fine for a month or so and the C. I am taking 2 1/2 Tablespoons of Acacia, so I have a lot of sfs in me and I constanly eat soluble fiber throughout the day. Can I eat those small uncooked carrots as a snack (are they soluble) or must they be cooked? Thanks. I was wondering because I love rasins.

--------------------

#116401 - 10/27/04 01:50 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Personally I think 2 hours is too long to wait. Sometimes I have dried fruit right after lunch but I think in 2 hours your stomach would be empty. I put raisins in my oatmeal in the morning and in all the baked stuff I make. As for baby carrots I personally eat a lot of raw baby carrots everyday but most people here stay away from all raw veggies.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

LittleMinnie new
      #116405 - 10/27/04 01:53 PM
Sweetd

I carrot were safe though,I thought. I thought all other raw veggies were unsafe.

Thanks for your advice! I will try that tomorrow with my oatmeal.

--------------------

Sweetd new
      #116409 - 10/27/04 02:02 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I don't really know about the carrots. For some reason they seem to me like they'd be a lot more difficult to digest than the raisins, just going by the "can you smush it with a fork" test. If you can eat them and get away with it, then enjoy. There is no value in unecessarily restricting yourself. But, if you start to notice symptoms coming back, skip the carrots and see what happens.
PS, Don't tell Heather, but I'm actually not taking any SFS right now. I was on it for a while and it helped me get stabilized, and then I got lazy and forgot to take it. When I realized that I still felt okay without taking it, I stopped. It's just one less thing to worry about. I always know it's there, and a good way for me to stabilize, but I'm not worrying about taking it every day. I keep equalactin on me and rely on it when I need to, but even that is only maybe twice a month.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

AmandaPanda new
      #116415 - 10/27/04 02:14 PM
Sweetd

Thanks AmandaPanda. That is good advice!

Hey, if it works for you that great! I wish I would be doing that well and only once or twice a month need an equalactin. It isn't as time consuming and as expensive.

--------------------

Thanks everyone for your advice! new
      #116417 - 10/27/04 02:17 PM
Sweetd

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1856 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 783

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review