All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fiber Supplements
      #11504 - 06/12/03 10:42 AM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

Does anyone follow Heather's diet and NOT take a fiber supplement? I have yet to find one that I can stomach. I have tried: Equalactin, Benefiber, Fibercon, Citrucel AND Metamucil. They fill me with so much gas I feel worse than I would if I would have had an attack. I'm also A LOT more constipated than I was before. I was always IBS-D until I started the fiber now I seem to be IBs-C. What's up? I have to admit to feeling better if I don't take the fiber. Any suggestions. Do ya'll think it would work if I follow all the food suggstions, exercise and drink water and NOT take fiber? Help -- please.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fiber Supplements new
      #11506 - 06/12/03 10:53 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

How much water are you drinking with the fiber? You have to drink quite a bit. Also, have you reached the MAXIMUM amount for the day on any of those supplements? That might help. I take ground flax seed as a fiber supplement too, per my naturopath, and it helps. I am IBS-C, and need all I can get!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#11516 - 06/12/03 11:37 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

good morning wac: I, too, have trouble with supplements because if I eat too much with them they make me go. I tried metamucil and got up to 3 t. when I stopped taking it because it didn't seem to agree with me. It could be only because I DO eat a lot but I feel better about eating rather than taking suppkements. Iam waiting for my supply of equalactin to give it a go and find a happy medium with it.

#11522 - 06/12/03 12:59 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there - Christianne has good advice, make sure you're taking enough water with the supplement. But, you do not have to take a supplement at all. Some folks simply cannot tolerate them, and some folks don't need them. If you can keep your symptoms under control without them, that's just fine. I don't actually use them every day myself unless I start feeling touchy. The soluble fiber foods alone are enough to keep me stable.

It's all soluble fiber in the end - from foods or supplements, it doesn't make a difference. So listen to your own body here.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 621 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 861

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review