Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I don't know what is going on anymore
      #11119 - 06/09/03 01:15 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

Hey all,

As you know, I've had D for a long time - was diagnosed with IBS sometime last year. NOw, I'm hardly going at all (maybe once a week if that) without having changed any of my eating habits/meals etc... I don't understand what is going on. I"m not on any new medication. THe only thing is that I"ve quit smoking.

Oh - and I"ve cut out most carbonated drinks

Can someone please help explain things to me?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I don't know what is going on anymore new
      #11124 - 06/09/03 05:55 AM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

According to Heather's books, tabacco is a IBS trigger. Maybe your body is compensating for the loss of that trigger and you've now gotten what your body considers "regular". Do you take a fiber supplement at all? I also have IBS C and I'm still waiting for my fiber supplement to help me go every day. Heather says be patient as it can take 3-4 weeks to regulate. Good luck!

#11128 - 06/09/03 06:48 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I think wac is right on the money. Both tobacco and carbonated drinks can cause D. It's great that you've eliminated them, your body just needs some time to adjust. In the meantime, follow your diet, and especially tips on constipation on this web board. Lots of water, exercise will help. Also a fiber supplement like wac suggests.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#11151 - 06/09/03 12:02 PM
BethE

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: Syracuse, NY

I have had IBS-D for about four and a half years now, and the tips in the book really do help. I will say, though, that I get frustruated when I do have an attack, and I've been very careful. I can't drink carbonated anything - and never knew that wine coolers have carbonation until after I'd stopped drinking them!

--------------------
Beth
IBS - D

#11217 - 06/10/03 03:14 AM
tlc

THanks all so much for the advice!!! I clearly didn't know what the heck was going on! I have started exercising a lot - I go to the gym 3-4 times a week doing cardio and circuit.

I thought maybe it was the smokes, so glad to see the back of them, but maybe my stomach needs to get regular or something again?

I don't take any fibre supplements. Never had to as I"ve always been at the other end of the scale with really bad D. That's why I"m finding this soooo strange!

#11280 - 06/10/03 01:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I think the others are right and you've lost the laxative effect of the cigarettes (which are a really powerful digestive tract irritant and stimulant).

Stick to the exercise - it's great for constipation and it will also work your GI muscles so your bowel function becomes more normal. Add in a LOT of water during the day.

And definitely start a soluble fiber supplement. This works for both D and C, by the way, because it simply normalizes bowel function. Check the forum home page for the link to soluble fiber info.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#11455 - 06/12/03 03:30 AM
tlc

THanks a lot for the great advice. I've been drinking a lot of water and love going to the gym. I've found in the last 3 days, things seem regular for the first time in a long time!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 610 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1096

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review